NPD Declares Black Ops the Best-Selling Game Ever

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
will1182 said:
It was a great game, I had over a hundred hours of fun with it. No matter how many people on the Escapist call it shit (hating popular things FTW!), I will still acknowledge it as a fun game.
Amen to that. Glad someone else doesn't get sucked in or isn't afraid to disagree wiht the majority. Fun fact. Check the post directly below yours. It starts...

Apr 29, 2010
Well, good for them. They are now filthy rich. Granted, is it accurate? Or is it only taking into consideration US sales?

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
My girlfriend bought a copy, played it for a grand total of 4 hours in multiplayer with some friends of ours from WoW and since then it has been collecting dust. The sad part is I played it more the day we got it as I played through the entire story mode...which was terrible, and about 8 hours of multiplayer before deciding I miss Q3A and UT.

Relating to the numbers though: part of it is that it was multiplatform, you won't see an exclusive title beat those numbers.

satorisatya

Mar 6, 2011
I call shenanigans on those NPD numbers.

First of all, that 13 million figure comes from the COMBINED SALES of Black Ops in 5 different platforms - PS3, 360, Wii, PC, DS. It's funny how ALL media outlets fail to mention that important detail.

And seriously, how the hell can the Wii or DS versions be considered the same game as the other 3 versions? The only thing they have in common is the title.

Now, say what you will about Wii Play, but this game (yes, game) earned 2nd place selling on ONE single platform, the Wii.

Which has more merit.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
You'd think after the same game being released four times, they'd get bored. But to quote MovieBob, I supposed they're just "lining up for their processed cheese..."

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
sigh... seems more and more like videogames are getting too much in common with pop music now in terms of sales...

Jan 9, 2011
S_K said:
sigh... seems more and more like videogames are getting too much in common with pop music now in terms of sales...
This is a good comparison. The most successful music is simplistic, repetitive, generic and uncreative - all words which can be used to describe 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' and the majority of 3rd-person shooters from the past 5 years.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
jhamre said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
jhamre said:
This just in: NOBODY GIVES A FUCK

And the only reason "more players play Call of Duty than Halo" is because the series has 7 games compared to Halo's 6.
Plus it's on 3 systems, Halo is on 1. Taking that into account, Halo is the REAL winner here.

If you are sick of CoD, perhaps you are looking forward to Homefront, Brink, or Battlefield 3?
Brink looks absolutely amazing. Homefront looks like Turning Point: Fall of Liberty in a modern setting. The Battlefield series has never struck that right chord with me. I don't mean to be hating if Homefront or Battlefield 3 looks good to you. I'm in college and have little money so I've practically sold my soul to Bungie in exchange for entertainment.
No hate taken, I understand. I'm in college and have no money for games really. I think all 3 look good. Hard to decide what to get though. Reach was the last new game I got.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Oh no. A game became the best selling game of all time. This of course means that this game must be a generic and simplistic panderer to all the retards of society, otherwise known as "people who are not me". It disgusts me that a game so pathetically mediocre can gain such recognition - I don't like it! How can it sell such high numbers?

Pah, the gaming industry is dying slowly and it's all the filthy normal people's fault. I will continue to turn my nose up at this and instead play Half-Life, a game truly worthy of society's elite.

/sarcasm

Real answer: With Call of Duty's (probably deserved, if you like its gameplay style) popularity, this isn't entirely surprising... until you realise that this means it topped things like Pong, Super Mario Bros etc. Then you realise just how impressive a feat it is.

Next year: "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 outsells the Bible"

Feralbreed

May 20, 2009
Don't get me wrong here, I liked both of the "Modern warfare"-games so I guess you could call me a fan.

But I just don't understand how Call of duty manages to catch such a large audience. I mean, it's a wargame. Old people don't play it, women don't play it and intellectuals and artfags don't play it because it's a caveman FPS. And with it's 18+ it ensures that (at least some) kids don't get their hands on it.

So what's the deal here?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*looks up from book*

Oh... okay. So... does this change the fact that CoD as a franchise is stagnating? I doubt it... and this record will get broken probably within a year by something else.

*goes back to book*

HalfLife205

Nov 22, 2009
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Still doesn't mean it's good. All my friends who bought Blops hoping it would fix unbalanced things from MW2 have since started playing MW2 again for lack of improvement.

When you try to improve on (near) perfection, CoD4, it seems you only end up fucking things up.
This. Call of Duty 4 was excellent, and was the game that really propelled the series from mediocrity to the so-called pinnacle of FPSs. Modern Warfare 2, despite its balance issues built on this and has been the only other CoD game so far to change the pacing quite so much as well as adding new features. The reason for this we all know: Treyarch changes the setting, then borrows the engine and everything else from Infinity Ward (yet somehow still manages to make it awful, which is an art form in itself it must be said). I've played all of them online (and promptly stopped on World at War and Black Ops as soon as I reached maximum level) and it's interesting to see how the main player base has changed. CoD4 was full of people at least 18, who would hold intelligent and interesting conversation with you, a mouthy 11 year old would not be found in 30 consecutive lobbies, let alone the 7 of them you find just joining a single game of Black Ops. It really does take the biscuit that a Treyarch game has taken this title over IW.

Now that IW has left Activision, it remains to be seen whether this concoction of developers can make Modern Warfare 3 work. Whilst it could be potentially good for the series and breathe some new life into it, I fear they will be too focused on meeting the sales targets and not disappointing the masses to not churn out another bland and boring shooter. Where this will leave Treyarch I have no idea, God help us if we leave it to them. The saddest thing is the series will take quite a few more games to die...I wish we could just let it rest now.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
HalfLife205 said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Still doesn't mean it's good. All my friends who bought Blops hoping it would fix unbalanced things from MW2 have since started playing MW2 again for lack of improvement.

When you try to improve on (near) perfection, CoD4, it seems you only end up fucking things up.
This. Call of Duty 4 was excellent, and was the game that really propelled the series from mediocrity to the so-called pinnacle of FPSs. Modern Warfare 2, despite its balance issues built on this and has been the only other CoD game so far to change the pacing quite so much as well as adding new features. The reason for this we all know: Treyarch changes the setting, then borrows the engine and everything else from Infinity Ward (yet somehow still manages to make it awful, which is an art form in itself it must be said). I've played all of them online (and promptly stopped on World at War and Black Ops as soon as I reached maximum level) and it's interesting to see how the main player base has changed. CoD4 was full of people at least 18, who would hold intelligent and interesting conversation with you, a mouthy 11 year old would not be found in 30 consecutive lobbies, let alone the 7 of them you find just joining a single game of Black Ops. It really does take the biscuit that a Treyarch game has taken this title over IW.

Now that IW has left Activision, it remains to be seen whether this concoction of developers can make Modern Warfare 3 work. Whilst it could be potentially good for the series and breathe some new life into it, I fear they will be too focused on meeting the sales targets and not disappointing the masses to not churn out another bland and boring shooter. Where this will leave Treyarch I have no idea, God help us if we leave it to them. The saddest thing is the series will take quite a few more games to die...I wish we could just let it rest now.
I'm done hoping. I'm done with CoD. BATTLEFIELD 3.