NSA Building Quantum Supercomputer To Crack Encrypted Data

Mar 19, 2010
NSA to start the quantum computer gaming master race.
Anyway when i read 1984 i thought no way anyone could pull of this kind of constant surveillance but i was clearly wrong and US and most likely other big governments are doing their best to prove me even more wrong.
Where do I sign up for that lifetime mission to Mars again?

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
"In America, they spend billions on a super computer to crack software codes. In Russia, they just stick to paper"

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Coakle said:
The research program is titled "Penetrating Hard Targets".

Between this and the "Octopus" satellite, it seems like people's browsing history has starting to take its toll on the NSA.
Either that or they've officially stopped giving shit and have decided to embrace their Cold War-era Bond villain reputation for all it's worth.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Evil Smurf said:
So phone hacking, bots and software flaws are not enough? Why can't the NSA do something usefull?
What? Building a multibillion dollar super computer isn't useful? Think of the advancements we could make with that kind of processing power. Evolutionary and galactic modeling. Near-uncrackable encryption. The creation of a real AI. The overthrow of the human race by the machines. All possible thanks to the NSA...

In all seriousness, this is old news to anyone familiar with the US intelligence system. Using quantum computers for military codebreaking has been a major way to fund quantum computer research for years. I first heard about it reading an article in an MIT publication years ago.
If they would manage to make one. You really think they would let other people get access to the data to build one?

Well good luck with that NSA... If international research groups consisting of the best of their fields have not been able to do it - I am sure you can do it in secrecy.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This isn't that surprising. The Pentagon likes to come up with crazy ideas and try to see if they can get them off the ground all the time. You'd be surprised how many insane programs we have put into motion. You'd also be surprised how many of them actually paid off. I remember reading about an awkward seeming device that a person could use to swim much faster without using any type of machine. And it worked.

They basically heard of some crazy idea and decided: "I wonder if we can get that to work. Throw some money at it, see if anything sticks."

Worst case scenario, nothing comes of it in the immediate future, but it does help with future research in Quantum Computing. Well, that or the NSA pulls it off and uses on civilians and civilian companies, not just in the US, but in other countries. But one thing at a time here.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
So phone hacking, bots and software flaws are not enough? Why can't the NSA do something usefull?
Because they're a government agency.

*rimshot*

Coakle said:

Between this and the "Octopus" satellite, it seems like people's browsing history has starting to take its toll on the NSA.
Either that or this is an epic Federal troll. I'm betting someone at the NSA never quite got over being Rick Rolled when looking for Smash Brothers info.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Trivun said:
Anyhow, you know what this sounds very much like to me? A certain book written and released 15 years ago...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Fortress
Which in turn sounds very much like a boilerplate work involving government surveillance.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
marurder said:
Anonymous and all kinds of rebellious elements have my blessing to take that thing out.

[This post has been flagged by the NSA, CIA, ASIS, M5,MSS]
Take what out? They haven't actually come up with anything yet.

That's like saying "Bomb this forest where there will eventually be a city".

OT: Should have dumped their money into a photon computer.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
rhizhim said:
i hope they spend months decrypting an encrypted archive in hopes to find information on terrorist only to stumble upon some rickroll videos.

Or grandma's recipe book.

LOL.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So what's next NSA? Cameras in everyone's homes? propaganda theatres? BTW I don't even know what a quantum computer is supposed to be. Sounds like science fiction.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Coakle said:

When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back. And chucks some hentai at you.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Not something usefull?
They are developing quantum computers! That is money well spent!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
loa said:
So they are not "building" a quantum computer, they failed to do so.
Get your headlines straight.
'Developing' would be a better title, yeah.

Also, scientists have already figured out a way to crack quantum encryption. :\

I can't find the article in question (it was on ScienceDaily), but they theoretically figured out how to break it.
canadamus_prime said:
So what's next NSA? Cameras in everyone's homes? propaganda theatres? BTW I don't even know what a quantum computer is supposed to be. Sounds like science fiction.
You know how current computing relies on bits and binary? Little electrical pulses that carry data? Think of that, only much, much, much, much, much, much smaller. It would use 'quantum bits' or 'qubits', which are ridiculously smaller. True quantum computers would be immeasurably faster. Personally I think they should work on fiber optic computing first, which is literally just using pulses of light instead of electricity. It's also considerably faster than current computing, though not as fast as quantum.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The way I see it is the theory is practical and it's more a matter of when someone does it, than if, and like most technological innovations we want to be the first ones to get it and stay ahead of everyone else, especially when it comes to technology with far reaching security, military, and intelligence applications. I'd imagine most major governments have teams working on this kind of thing just like we are, albeit the US is far more into public
disclosure than most governments are despite claims to the contrary (and domestic criticism).

At the end of the day the NSA doesn't seem to be hiding this, as I've been aware of this kind of thing for a long time now (and someone else referenced reading articles on it as well). In general certain aspects of the government tend to be a generation or so ahead in terms of technology, and to be honest I'd imagine the NSA is ahead of the civilian sector because if they weren't you'd start seeing a lot of that research seized, or the people involved brought into the government given the stakes involved in something like this.

I'll also say I'm not totally paranoid about a mechanical takeover if we develop AIs/Robotics, etc... I believe people and self aware machines can co-exist just fine. You know... like Asimov's actual writings, as opposed to that crappy "I Robot" movie that somehow managed to get made despite having exactly the opposite message. I'm a fan of more optimistic science fiction with humans and artificial life forms working together for space exploration and the like. What's more even if mechanical life DID become arguably superior, that is no reason for it to immediately become genocidal.

The odd thing about most "machine war" fiction is that a lot of it seems to start when a machine becomes self aware and then people decide to immediately try and kill it as a result, ultimately creating the very problem.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I'm surprised no one has been joking about Dan Brown's Digital Fortress. It is a Dan Brown book I know, and it is from the 90s, but I'd say it defines this situation exactly.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Alar said:
canadamus_prime said:
You know how current computing relies on bits and binary? Little electrical pulses that carry data? Think of that, only much, much, much, much, much, much smaller. It would use 'quantum bits' or 'qubits', which are ridiculously smaller. True quantum computers would be immeasurably faster. Personally I think they should work on fiber optic computing first, which is literally just using pulses of light instead of electricity. It's also considerably faster than current computing, though not as fast as quantum.
Thanks. I still can't quite wrap my head around it, but that helps.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
hentropy said:
I take personal exception to this as someone whose family has been affected by fascism, and then fled to escape communism. I don't support what the NSA is doing, but the NSA isn't pulling people out of their homes and detaining them indefinitely and/or murdering them due to their race and/or political beliefs. You wanna make a heavy-handed point, I get it, but the two simply aren't comparable and I'd appreciate it if you didn't make your points on the backs of millions of murdered innocents.
I am so with you on this. It really drives me up the wall when someone says "grammarnazi", too.