nude modeling

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
So I'm thinking about doing a little nude modeling for the art school near my uni for some extra cash.

Any suggestions? Comments? Ridicule?

IZRA

Jan 7, 2011
the better body you have the more they'll pay/want you back. also don't do standing poses for more than 5 minutes, you'll get tire quickly

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
IZRA said:
the better body you have the more they'll pay/want you back. also don't do standing poses for more than 5 minutes, you'll get tire quickly
thank you! any advice on how to defeat the awkward?

IZRA

Jan 7, 2011
Handofpwn said:
IZRA said:
well if the students there are any good there should not be any awkward feeling. its all strictly business, you take off your pant and they draw.

are you a self conscious girl/guy?

ChicagoTed

Aug 5, 2010
Handofpwn said:
So I'm thinking about doing a little nude modeling for the art school near my uni for some extra cash.

Any suggestions? Comments? Ridicule?
Shaving your downstairs is always a good idea or atleast a bit of a trim and if your a guy *cba to check your profile* don't keep on checking out the hot girl in the room it will end quite badly for you.

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
IZRA said:
Handofpwn said:
IZRA said:
well if the students there are any good there should not be any awkward feeling. its all strictly business, you take off your pant and they draw.

are you a self conscious girl/guy?
not particularly but i think itd be awkward for them if i tried to start up a conversation or something

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Having been on both 'ends' of a life drawing class..

If it's for life drawing/painting go right ahead. It's a good job and pays pretty well, although having to hold a pose absolutely still for a very long time can be difficult. Don't be self-conscious about your body. I've found part of the point of life drawing is that you draw a range of people with different body types. It's not like other forms of nude modelling where you won't be invited back if you don't have a rippling six pack.

I would be very wary of having anyone take photographs though, even for reference purposes, especially if you plan on later getting a job which might put you in the public eye. It's up to you though. Facial recognition software is going to be a big deal in a few years, and all it's going to take is for someone to put those pictures on the internet..

When you're doing it, don't make eye contact. Remember, they're focusing very intently on you and it's probably a bit awkward for them too depending on how long they've been life-drawing. Just try to put on a professional demeanour, and make sure you have something to think about because otherwise it will be agony (you really do have to stay absolutely still). Find something which requires thought (I was drawing up wargaming lists last time) and plan it in exacting detail in your head, as long as it takes your mind off the situation.

If you explain to whoever is running the class that it's your first time, they may well make some concessions for you, such as splitting the class up to allow for shorter poses. Of course, that depends on the person in question and their needs so don't expect it, but it's a possibility.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
...ugh good luck with the bikini wax. Sorry I couldn't be more constructive but good luck.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Handofpwn said:
IZRA said:
Imagine they are naked with you! You can have fun times then!

On the topic of modelling, I'm not going to ridicule you. Its your body and you can do what you want with it, no matter what anyone says. All I will say is if your a guy...don't pay attention to any females in the vicinity...Unless they'd pay you more for that (I keed I keed)

Good luck with whatever your decision is!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
IZRA said:
That depends on who's running the class... and/or your definition of 'better', I guess.

The higher level the class is the more likely an instructor who likes to really stretch and test their students' abilities is going to start getting models who... oh, fuck being polite... you're gonna start getting more models who are fatties, bags of antlers, and/or wrinkly old farts. Oh yeah, and occasionally they'll throw in a steroid casualty as well. Fun times.

An old life drawing/life painting instructor trick, especially when they're on a part time, paid by the lesson scheme, is to use very attractive young models while registration for their classes is still open.

WingedIncubus

Nov 5, 2010
IZRA said:
the better body you have the more they'll pay/want you back. also don't do standing poses for more than 5 minutes, you'll get tiere quickly
Not exactly all the time. My contacts prefered models with normal bodies so that the students might learn to draw body parts out of the usual "very slender and muscular" popular fashion.

Everyone can draw hot muscles in men and women, but drawing a man or a woman with other body shapes is a challenge.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
IZRA said:
An old life drawing/life painting instructor trick, especially when they're on a part time, paid by the lesson scheme, is to use very attractive young models while registration for their classes is still open.
Lol, I don't think my professors ever heard that one. All of my life drawing models in college were fat older ladies and dudes who would occasionally pick leftover food out of the trash can on breaks.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I can't help but feel responsible for this...

Still, I suggest practicing some poses. Figure out what positions you can hold for at least ten minutes without your arms falling asleep or something. If you feel lightheaded, Move, for goodness's sake. You may want the instructor to mark the position of your feet first thing so that you feel the freedom to move if you need to.

Also, no coming in majorly sleep-deprived, drunk, or starving. The model collapsing is really awkward.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
Handofpwn said:
i think itd be awkward for them if i tried to start up a conversation or something
Please don't talk while modelling, it's distracting and also someone might be drawing your face at the time! Please try not to move your fingers, either, I had a model once who kept fidgeting and it was very unprofessional. Your mind may wander while sitting/standing around for half an hour but please still remember to keep everything still.

After you get your clothes back on, no one's going to mind you striking up a conversation. While drawing you, artists will see you as an object, they're not likely to be thinking I SAW THEIR RUDE BITS LOL. But if you stand there with your bits dangling around and trying to talk to people, they may be a bit more put off... :D