Nvidia Demos Borderlands 2 on Project SHIELD

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Nvidia Demos Borderlands 2 on Project SHIELD

Under controlled conditions, Borderlands 2 looks rather nice on Nvidia's handheld.

Nvidia announced Project SHIELD [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121364-Nvidia-Announces-Project-SHIELD-Portable-Gaming-Device] earlier in the year: an Android-based gaming handheld that can stream games from compatible PCs thanks to its Tegra 4 processor. The graphics company recently released a video showing off the device's streaming capabilities, and it looks like Project SHIELD can handle Borderlands 2 with no apparent issues.

The video shows a glimpse of the device's UI running on Android Jelly Bean before connecting to a nearby "Falcon Tiki" PC and browsing through a list of games on Steam. When the presenter fires up Borderlands 2, the device appeared to run the game quite smoothly and there was negligible lag between the handheld device and the PC screen. The video adds that the device was able to display everything at 60 frames per second, with Vsync and PhysX enabled and high-res textures selected.

The presenter added that the device's onboard speakers were "tuned to replicate accurate, distortion-free sound" and engineered to sound bigger than their size would suggest. Unfortunately, the video suggested that the speakers were only capable of providing tinny noises. Maybe we just had to be there to appreciate it?

Project SHIELD is expected to be available in Q2 2013.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure I see what purpose or niche this thing will serve.

I mean, it plays Borderlands 2 by connecting to my PC and essentially streaming it all back and forth, kinda like OnLive, except with no noticeable lag since it's not done over the internet.

But why would I ever want to do that, if I'm gonna have to be near my PC to do it?

I know for a fact that I'm not gonna get it, solely because I dislike the console-style controls, but I'd still like to try and get a better understanding of what exactly this thing is gonna be good for, so if someone has an idea, feel free to enlighten me.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
So you have to fire the game up on your PC then be in range of your PC to play it on a handheld? What is this thing and is that how it works and is it that pointless?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Can't watch the video from work but I assume by "streaming" that you have to be somewhat close to your PC to acheive it? I hardly imagine the technology to stream from say, a bus or train without lag exists. If that's the case, then what an absolutely redundant product.

Here's a little tip from someone that's bought just about every handheld device since the original GameBoy: People buy handheld devices so they can play games on the go. If I want to play Borderlands 2 in bed as I know someone is about to argue, I'll just hook my computer or playstation up to the TV in my bedroom.

Or I can just play some Ragnarok Oddyssey or Atelier Totori+ on my Vita or some Pokemon on my 3DS in bed. And then I'll take that with me on the bus to uni the next day. Hardly seems like a worthwhile device at this point in time. If I want to play Android games on the go I also have my Android phone and I have handhelds with better games otherwise.

Dec 14, 2009
Like others have said, what exactly is the point of this device?

If you have to be within range of your PC to use it, then why bother playing your games on a smaller display and with worse controls?

Seems kinda redundant...

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Can.. Can you even read it?
I find some games hard to read on my screen let alone that.
With all these other problems too, I'd say odds aren't in its favor.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Like others have said, what exactly is the point of this device?

If you have to be within range of your PC to use it, then why bother playing your games on a smaller display and with worse controls?

Seems kinda redundant...
From previous promotion, I was under the impression that the main point of this device is to play android games on the move. Streaming from PC was presented as an interesting add on (allowing you to use the device as a controller with your PC, as well as a separate handheld).

I'm assuming the reason this demo is of streaming a PC game is so they can show off the screen (and demonstrate playing a popular game). I guess part of the problem is a lack of android games that work with a controller that they could actually demo with!

I'll decide whether or not I'm interested in this device when I see what sort of games I could play (non-streaming) on it. So far, all I can say is I quite like the design.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
You could possibly do a kind of gaming lancafe idea around this, with people being able to lounge around on bean bags and couches instead of sitting at a desk.

Apr 5, 2008
I like the idea of this, but wonder why I would want a device that uses my PC for the actual processing. Presumably, that means they need to be networked and thus, within range. If so, why wouldn't I just play it on my PC?

I'd like to see nVidia succeed with this, they make good stuff. But a handheld device that isn't portable seems a bit of an odd thing to make.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
As someone who doesn't spend much time outside of my bedroom (when I'm not at work 10 miles away)(which is also where my PC is) this function is completely useless. When would someone need this function (other than in the toilet as mentioned above).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wait, you need a PC to run it and your only streaming it, and then your having lag spikes (the video lags sometimes, not sure if its recording issue or not ,but the PC in background does not seem to do that). this should be the 2012 most useless invention.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
CCountZero said:
But why would I ever want to do that, if I'm gonna have to be near my PC to do it?

I know for a fact that I'm not gonna get it, solely because I dislike the console-style controls, but I'd still like to try and get a better understanding of what exactly this thing is gonna be good for, so if someone has an idea, feel free to enlighten me.
I'm with you on that. The same game is playing on a PC monitor 4 steps away. The PC has to be turned on at all times (right) in order for the game to work, right? So what on earth is it good for?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It's PC game streaming capability is pointless if it can only be done near a PC. I won't buy it just for bathroom breaks.

grimallq

Aug 25, 2009
But wait, you can connect your SHIELD to your big HD TV and play PC games just like a console game in your living room.

So basically it's like Steam's Big Picture mode, except you can keep your PC in a different room and have to shell out extra $$ for a compatible nVidia GPU and peripheral, and you need to have a Wi-Fi set up in your home.