Nvidia Faces Class Action Suit Over Under-performing GTX 970

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
TopazFusion said:
DoPo said:
The only problem you could have is with your PC case - the GTX 970 is actually quite long, so double check you have enough space. Saying that, my case and, as far as I'm aware, most mid-tower cases should be. My housemate did have to modify his case slightly though. With pliers. Only because the card needed just about a centimetre more space to enter (but there was enough space otherwise).
wizzy555 said:
1) Most versions of the card are very large and may have trouble with certain cases
It should be pointed out that the 970 also comes in a 'mini' version (for micro / ITX cases), which uses a vapor chamber cooler instead of a heat pipe cooler.
True. I tend to forget that, because I preordered mine and those weren't announced yet.

wizzy555 said:
2) Some models can "coil whine" (it makes a noise like a dying motor) in very harsh gaming or GPU processing situations, but in most games it isn't noticeable
Ah yes. Oddly, the only game I ever get coil whine in is Path of Exile (which I wouldn't have classed as that GPU intensive to begin with). I do have a DAC, however, so I've got no real problem.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
rgrekejin said:
Sorry for lack of link-to-post, my quote button seems to be broken.
I believe I know what your problem is

DoPo said:
JavaScript is not working on this website. That's your issue, however, why is a different matter. You might have turned off JS in total - thus it won't work on any website, this is a browser option; alternatively, if it's specifically the Escapist (or, possibly some other websites but not all), then it's a plugin - NoScript and adblockers can cause that, in that case it's a matter of editing config of the addon[footnote]or, more drastically, removing it. This is actually a good way of finding what's causing the issue if you don't have an idea - try disabling all addons and switching them on one by one [/footnote].
I hope this helps.

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
I returned my 970. it may be okay for now ( which it wasn't for me, I was constantly stuttering with seconds as frame times when I got to 3.5gb), but soon it'll be hitting that buffer more and more

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
DoPo said:
JavaScript is not working on this website. That's your issue, however, why is a different matter. You might have turned off JS in total - thus it won't work on any website, this is a browser option; alternatively, if it's specifically the Escapist (or, possibly some other websites but not all), then it's a plugin - NoScript and adblockers can cause that, in that case it's a matter of editing config of the addon.
Sorry, no dice. I have javascript enabled, and even with all my plugins turned off, quote is still broken. Thanks for trying, though. :(

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
rgrekejin said:
DoPo said:
JavaScript is not working on this website. That's your issue, however, why is a different matter. You might have turned off JS in total - thus it won't work on any website, this is a browser option; alternatively, if it's specifically the Escapist (or, possibly some other websites but not all), then it's a plugin - NoScript and adblockers can cause that, in that case it's a matter of editing config of the addon.
Sorry, no dice. I have javascript enabled, and even with all my plugins turned off, quote is still broken. Thanks for trying, though. :(
OK, that's odd. I've no idea why that would be, in that case. It may be worth getting a touch with the tech team [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Tech-Team] or submitting a ticket [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/] for your issue.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
DoPo said:
OK, that's odd. I've no idea why that would be, in that case. It may be worth getting a touch with the tech team [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Tech-Team] or submitting a ticket [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/] for your issue.
Well, I don't know what happened. I didn't change anything, but this morning it's working again. Yay for the self-fixing quote button? Anyway, thanks for your help!

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
direkiller said:
Zhukov said:
DoPo said:
I have a question, and you seem to know what you're talking about.

I'm about to buy a PC with one of these GTX970 things in it.

So, despite being falsely advertised, it's still a good GPU, right? As in, people are pissed about the false claims (fair enough I guess), not the actual performance of the hardware, yeah?
It fails to deliver on 4k and up resolutions on dule screens. Something you would need an SLI to do anyway

If that is outside your scope then the card is fine.
Honestly, if you're goin for 4K and up you'd be buying a 980 anyway, so this entire thing feels like a moot point.

Yeah its probably false advertising (though getting that to stick when it technically does have 4gb, just not 4 usable gb) would be pretty friggin hard), but its false advertising in the way that doesn't actually do anything to anyone who would own a 970.

Benchmarks still have it as one of the top cards you can have in your system. Even if you do get a full refund, the best you can do is get a sidegrade (or a downgrade in some cases) and get a R9 290 for the same price.

Even then, again pointing this out. You wouldn't be using either of those cards if you're serious about ultra HD resolution gaming.