Nvidia Proves Moon Landing Photos Authentic

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Objectable said:
Please, we all know the moon landing was faked. But thanks to the spaceship we picked up from Roswell, we managed to fake it... ON THE MOON! THAT'S why it looks so real!
Someone else watches SF Debris it seems :)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I don't bother reading other people's comments, so I'll just assume nobody has said this yea

Saying it "silence some conspiracy theorists who believe the event was faked"...this is not going to happen.

Johnson McGee said:
So I have a theory: Conspiracy theorists are themselves a conspiracy! Paid government agents sent out to convince stupid people that the government have things so under control that voting is pointless. Then they can just re-elect incumbents over and over again!
Apparently the KGB was supposed to egg conspiracy theorists on to discredit the US and its allies. Mind you, that's the sort of thing the KGB would want to do and everyone knows they had the resources for, so it might not count as a conspiracy theory.

Also...why should anyone care about most of these conspiracies? They are usually less worrying than things we know the US/others do that nobody really cares about. The invasion of Iraq was based on lies...everyone knows this, but people don't seem too fussed.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Hang on. Why would Armstrong set the camera to a lower f stop if he wanted to underexpose the image to prevent the sun from ruining it? In that case he would set it to a higher f stop, not lower.

Or did you mean he used a lower exposure value, and Nvidia were artificially increasing this value in their simulation?

Hap2

May 26, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Hang on. Why would Armstrong set the camera to a lower f stop if he wanted to underexpose the image to prevent the sun from ruining it? In that case he would set it to a higher f stop, not lower.

Or did you mean he used a lower exposure value, and Nvidia were artificially increasing this value in their simulation?
People not familiar with cameras can often confuse how aperture works. I've met journalists who were just starting out doing photojournalism who had trouble with it too.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
Objectable said:
Please, we all know the moon landing was faked. But thanks to the spaceship we picked up from Roswell, we managed to fake it... ON THE MOON! THAT'S why it looks so real!
Fake the footage of the fake moon landing, on the moon? What if people found out?

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Didn't the Mythbusters do something similar years ago, only with practical set effects?

Pretty sure their findings have done nothing to dissuade the loons who still believe the moon landing was faked.[footnote]Last I heard upwards of 20% of US residents believe it was faked. Fuck, is that depressing.[/footnote]

Regardless, that was a pretty cool demonstration of render tech.
They did and it was a good episode.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Sooooo proving a picture wasn't faked by making an exact, realistic fake picture?

*hands conspiracy theorists some gasoline for their fire.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
The problem with Conspiracy theorists is that they don't care about the conspiracy, they care about the feeling they get from "knowing" the truth and other people not. They defend that feeling and fact doesn't matter if doesn't line up with their feelings. 9/11 truthers, Moon Landing, and Jfk shooting. I mean Oliver Stones dumb movie JFK is still a problem because it asserted so much BS as fact that reignited the conspiracy theorists because Oliver Stone knowingly lied about facts surrounding JFK assassination so his movie could be dramatic. But conspiracy theorists don't care they have their feeling now.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Makabriel said:
Sooooo proving a picture wasn't faked by making an exact, realistic fake picture?

I don't think you know what the word 'fake' means. A fake is something not real intended to deceive. This is a simulation.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Sure it is NVIDIA...

or should I say SECRET US GOVERNMENT AGENCY!!!!!!!?

I've been saying for years that NVIDIA was actually a secret government project designed to get into your computers and hack everything and here's my proof! I didn't think NVIDIA would just hand over the proof this easy but I guess they expected us non-sheeple to not realize their mistake.

Fools! Now I must be going, I'm almost out of tin foil and my hat is getting banged up a bit. Don't want the aliens reading my thoughts, am I right?!?
N stands for National and VIDIA is just Video in illuminator. Its NationalVideo. of course its a government agency!

Denamic said:
Makabriel said:

I don't think you know what the word 'fake' means. A fake is something not real intended to deceive. This is a simulation.
the idea here is that if Nvidia can easily create an identical picture accurately on a single GPU that fits in a large coat pocket, who is to say government with millions of resources could not create identical picture as well?[footnote]i dont actually believe in the conspiracy, but i can see how this can give conspiracy supporters actually fuel rather than disprove it[/footnote]

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
I think I'm the only one who recognises that this is a clever form of advertisement, advertising the new Maxwell Architecture. Or is this where everyone goes to, to shove opinions on stupid matters... oh wait a minute.
(edit: oh theirs one person, thats nice)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Strazdas said:
Denamic said:
Makabriel said:

the idea here is that if Nvidia can easily create an identical picture accurately on a single GPU that fits in a large coat pocket, who is to say government with millions of resources could not create identical picture as well?[footnote]i dont actually believe in the conspiracy, but i can see how this can give conspiracy supporters actually fuel rather than disprove it[/footnote]
Of course they could do it. Anyone with high-end 3D modeling software and the knowhow could. This is nvidia taking on a project for publicity while showing off their hardware and software. Also, I'm not sure why you're replying to me with this because I never said anything related to what you replied with.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I must be misunderstanding this. They "proved" the moon landing was authentic... by proving that such a picture could be faked?

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Pyrian said:
Johnson McGee said:
So I have a theory: Conspiracy theorists are themselves a conspiracy!
Sadly, in many cases, this appears to be the truth.
Noone seems to know what the actual effect of conspiracy theories are - I've given it a lot of thought and I don't know either. The conspiracy theorists themselves never offer any explanation for why they do what they do.

It just makes little sense to me. The wealthy in the world do terrible things systematically, the modern political system is designed to promote them at the expense of everyone else, so why on top of the reality which is already starkly horrible is the fiction invented that they are "alien lizards"? What, the truth is too boring?

Is that what's happening? Are we as a culture so deep in fiction that we construct fictional metaphors to explain reality rather than just state the non-fiction reality? Are people so scared of the powers-that-be that they feel SAFER explaining the world in fictional metaphor than straightforwardly non-fictional?

In times past myths served a real purpose - to teach people reality on a deeper level than could be stated non-fictionally - they got around the limits of non-fiction. Great fiction, aka great art, still does this - Dark Souls and Nyan Cat are two examples. Is that why conspiracy theories became popular in the 1990s - at the precise time of global computerization and the popularization of the internet? In other words, when non-fiction became unavoidable due to ubiquitous communication conspiracy theories stepped in as a kind of death rattle of mythology?

Are we in a post-mythological age? When anyone can correct anything on the internet, are the only people who can construct mythologies doomed to be buffoons - debunked by the stark realism of the information age?

Or are our mythologies simply becoming deeper and more complex, moving to areas not fully explored by modern culture and science. Like Slenderman. Slenderman amazes, fascinates, confuses, because we feel like we should understand him but we just can't quite grasp it, just as Slenderman's angelic form and business suit show a being between worlds, between earth and heaven, and excluded from both. If heaven had mythology Slenderman might be just as terrifying to them - the in-between angel, the being pulled in two directions at once, belonging nowhere, his home as blank as his face.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's cool and all, but some people just can't be convinced... freakin' nutters. If the Mythbusters couldn't change their minds, do you think this will?

DeimosMasque said:
Objectable said:
Someone else watches SF Debris it seems :)
High five to my fellow SF Debris fans! ^_^

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vivi22 said:
It's neat, but it's not like the Moon landing really needed defending from the batshit insane conspiracy people who can't bother doing the most basic research to find out their points are garba... er... I mean, obviously Nvidia traveled back in time with these cards and faked the Moon landing to draw conspiracy attention away from their future time machine.

Yeah, that's it. >.>
First response and my explanation is already used...I mean, joke. Yeah, joke. My joke is already used.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Denamic said:
Strazdas said:
Denamic said:
Makabriel said:

Of course they could do it. Anyone with high-end 3D modeling software and the knowhow could. This is nvidia taking on a project for publicity while showing off their hardware and software. Also, I'm not sure why you're replying to me with this because I never said anything related to what you replied with.
I suggest you look at your post number 29 then. you may have forgotten it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Strazdas said:
Denamic said:
Strazdas said:
Denamic said:
Makabriel said:

I see what you're saying. No matter how many billions you have, you couldn't do this kind of simulation in the 60s. The hardware and the software simply did not exist.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Denamic said:
Strazdas said:
Denamic said:
Strazdas said:
Denamic said:
Makabriel said:

I see what you're saying. No matter how many billions you have, you couldn't do this kind of simulation in the 60s. The hardware and the software simply did not exist.
i was more implying with the millions at hand you could build the actual set instead.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
Ah, so an company, an organisation much smaller and weaker than a country..... Was capable of making fake imagery of the moon landing?
So.... a bigger organisation, could be capable of making that.... sooner.... right? riiiiiiight?

A-HA! Proof for fake moon landing!

What were they trying to prove again?

Hey, you dont get to point out logical mistakes, and then make them yourself!