Nvidia Showing Off New Pascal Cards in Livestream Tonight

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nvidia Showing Off New Pascal Cards in Livestream Tonight

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1319/1319762.jpgThe next generation of Nvidia video cards will finally be revealed tonight.

While rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167075-Nvidia-May-Reveal-the-GTX-1080-Next-Week] indicated Nvidia would be announcing their new cards last month, they're actually going to show them off in a live stream tonight.

Nvidia hasn't said just what they'll be showcasing , you can bet that it will be two new graphics cards, most likely the rumored GTX 1080 and GTX 1070. The new cards are based on the same Pascal architecture as the P100 enterprise card they revealed last month.

The live stream kicks off at 9 PM ET on Nvidia's Twitch channel [https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia].

Odds are that whatever cards are announced tonight will inhabit the same price range as the previous generation of cards did, which means the GTX 1080 would likely run around $550, with the GTX 1070 coming in around $350. The side effect of these new cards is good news for those of you who are looking to upgrade but don't want bleeding edge tech, as the GTX 900 series cards will likely see a price drop after the new cards become available.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
If the performance jump isn't enough to run 4k at 60fps with just a single card, then they really dropped the ball. That's what the entire hype was about, around 4 months ago. With the onset of VR as well, this would allow for higher-res screens on the 2nd gen of VR.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Living_Brain said:
If the performance jump isn't enough to run 4k at 60fps with just a single card, then they really dropped the ball. That's what the entire hype was about, around 4 months ago. With the onset of VR as well, this would allow for higher-res screens on the 2nd gen of VR.
Early benchmarks suggest a 1080 is only slightly more powerful than an oc 980ti. Keep in mind that 4k takes a lot to render and with games becoming more demanding, it's going to get harder still. I don't expect 4k 60fps to become a standard for another couple generations

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Hey, just as a quick question. Is it safe to download the newest version of the Nvidia drivers? I'm still not positive that my computer isn't going to just instantly melt if I install it.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
dragongit said:
Hey, just as a quick question. Is it safe to download the newest version of the Nvidia drivers? I'm still not positive that my computer isn't going to just instantly melt if I install it.
I have it downloaded and so far everything seems to be smooth sailing

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Living_Brain said:
We shall see.

As sad as it is I am far more interested in power usage than anything else. The GTX970 wasn't enough of a jump over my 7970 to justify the money, but it's low power usage and semi-passive running abilities were very interesting.

If the 1070/1080 can run the same performance for even less power or provides a useful performance bump for the same power then I'm in. A semi passive GPU would be perfect for my work PC and pleasant on gaming PC after four years of the very reliable and fast but very loud 7970.

If it can drive my Cintiq QHD and a 4k screen on 'silent mode' that would be perfect, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
People still don't realize that GPU game is about to change. This is AMD's year. And it will most likely stay that way at least until the end of this generation of consoles. They've got their hardware in every console and their next GPU's will be on 14nm FinFet (as opposed to Nvidia's 16nm). Pretty much every new game will be developed on AMD's hardware so they will by default be optimized for AMD. And AMD has been releasing open-source libraries for developers that add things similar to that of Nvidia's GameWorks, only available for everybody. There's no reason not to use those while developing multiplatform titles because it cuts the development time and is therefore cheaper to use then to create your own. So without GameWorks to lean on and without Nvidia specific optimization and of course with higher pricing as usual there's just not much point in getting excited.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
I own a 680gtx and it has served me extremely well so far, only getting slower performances in games like FO4, especially in the tower where everything comes to a crawl at certain places.

I was planning on upgrading to 980 anyway, but going from 680 to 1080 (like 4 generations above) sounds like a sound investment.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I would indeed like some bleeding edge tech, please.
It would give me an excuse to finally upgrade my rig after these last 5 years. Computers just don't advance at the same speed they used to.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, that turned out to be worth it.

If there's even a sandgrain of truth to those claims, I may be shelling out for a 1070 sooner rather than later.

Jadwick

Jan 4, 2013
Impressive claims at that price point. Wonder what AMD's Polaris will show come June.

Also, man that was a cringy event:
[ul]
[li]Bad jokes, and awkward speech[/li]
[li]People shouting in the audience[/li]
[li]Asshole CEO[/li]
[/ul]