Nvidia's Shield Portable Gaming System Coming Next Month

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Yeah... Not sure how much of a market it'll find at that price.

Shoggoth2588 said:
I assume it'll play Steam games on it...which is going to be better than my PC...but my only Steam game is TF2 which was free anyway.
It only plays Steam games by streaming them from your PC (for which you need a compatible graphics card anyway). So you need to be in your house, with your PC switched on running the game. Which slightly begs the question of why you wouldn't just play the game on your PC!

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
MrBenSampson said:
If this thing could stream games from a cloud service over the 4G network, then I'd consider buying it. Being able to play Skyrim from anywhere would be incredible.
Apparently the current version is Wifi only, but 3G and 4G versions are "in the pipeline".

Something that just occurred to me is to wonder whether this thing can run OnLive. Because if it can, then you could potentially play triple A titles from anywhere with (good) Wifi access. Of course, you have to pay for them (or just keep playing 30 minute free trials!) but it certainly would be a more sensible use for this than anything else I can think of.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
Something that just occurred to me is to wonder whether this thing can run OnLive. Because if it can, then you could potentially play triple A titles from anywhere with (good) Wifi access. Of course, you have to pay for them (or just keep playing 30 minute free trials!) but it certainly would be a more sensible use for this than anything else I can think of.
That's exactly what I was thinking. A partnership between Nvidia and OnLive could possibly make this a strong competitor in the handheld market. As it is now, I don't see much use for it.