Obama Bans Texting While Driving for Federal Employees

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
You shouldn't be doing that anyway, It's the same or even worse then driving drunk.

You are still impaired from concentrating on the road. Then you die. mmkay?

cheevocabra

May 23, 2009
LTK_70 said:
cheevocabra said:
And this will be enforced how?
Well, fortunately there exist police officers, who have eyes, and there exist windows, that eyes can see through.
I understand that you're trying to be funny and/or patronizing, but there is no way that I can see to enforce this 'ban' in states where texting while driving isn't already illegal. I don't expect that police officers will be on the lookout for people driving while texting in states where there isn't a law against it on the off chance that the person in question works for the government. I think that this is a really empty and utterly meaningless statement on Obama's part.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
cheevocabra said:
LTK_70 said:
cheevocabra said:
And this will be enforced how?
Well, fortunately there exist police officers, who have eyes, and there exist windows, that eyes can see through.
I understand that you're trying to be funny and/or patronizing, but there is no way that I can see to enforce this 'ban' in states where texting while driving isn't already illegal. I don't expect that police officers will be on the lookout for people driving while texting in states where there isn't a law against it on the off chance that the person in question works for the government. I think that this is a really empty and utterly meaningless statement on Obama's part.
Actually, I would expect them to do just that. Of all people, a police officer understands that anything distracting you from the road is very dangerous. And their job is to be on the lookout for any dangerous behaviour, so even if they're unable to fine the person, I would at least expect an officer to warn them and point out what they're doing is very stupid. Even though the chance they'll do fine someone is very small, there's still some raising of awareness involved. I mean, look at me: A European discussing the importance of a US federal law. He's certainly reaching some ears - or in this case, eyes - with it.

Aug 25, 2009
Texting was shown to drop your concentration by some ridiculous percentage in a test I saw recently. It's actually supposed to be worse than talking on a mobile phone.

Bravo I says, make it universal, like in Britain.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
iJosh said:
You shouldn't be doing that anyway, It's the same or even worse then driving drunk.

You are still impaired from concentrating on the road. Then you die. mmkay?
I seriously doubt it's worse than driving while totally smashed. I mean, in some cases I doubt the drunk drivers can even see anything outside of their car. Not to mention impaired hearing ('cause they're too drunk to really listen), dulled motor responses, not caring what's going on and all the other symptoms drunks get to enjoy.

But I agree it's bad. Stupid, even.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I work at the local mall museum and am therefore on the lowest rung governmental employees... Whoopty doo for me.