Obama may re-instate the ban on assault weapons.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Agayek said:
jasoncyrus said:
And the award for not reading posts properly goes to you. Second line of the bit you quoted, stated he'd have to get them (the military) on his side to achieve it. And it was a hypothetical situation in responce to the uninformed person *I* was quoting. GO back to sleep please you are hampering the discussion by not reading things properly before flaming people.
I was responding to your hypothetical situation. I know several soldiers in the US military, they would not fire on American citizens unless said citizens were pointing guns at someone else. The military simply would not allow a hostile takeover of the US.

Simply put, martial law is all but impossible in the current climate.

That said, it is not infeasible, and I would say it's probable, that someone is working with/on the government to establish at least some form of oligarchy behind the scenes. That may just be distrust of authority on my end though.
The soldiers in question might not fire on American citizens with lethal force, but if asked to gas or subdue by nonlethal means I'm sure they'd take far less issue with such an order. Enough use of nonlethal force might incite protesters to use lethal counters, and the presence of examples in which men and women of the armed forces have been gunned down during crowd suppression would increase their likelihood to comply with lethal force initiatives.

Until a point is reached where the people are seen as separate from the military, as the enemy of the military, and cannot be trusted or treated with anything but the strongest of countermeasures.

Everything is a matter of perception. The circumstances of the now do not necessarily reflect the circumstances of a potential future, and cannot always be anticipated.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
JRslinger said:
As a rebuttal to your Australia comment I provide this link

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/gun-laws-fall-short-in-war-on-crime/2005/10/28/1130400366681.html
That artical is from 2005.

In Australia NOW it is a requirement that all firearms are kept at a gun club
OR
after two years ownership may be kept at home in a locked safe.

This stops guns getting into the wrong hands or being used in a moment of anger.

Even that artical mentions a 19% drop in gun murders, contrasted with a 4% increase in attempted murder involving guns (due to the ban on high powered semi autos).

This is a net 15% decrease in gun related crime.

The SMH is also similar to FOX in outlook ie biased and sensasionalist in nature.

Fact is that Australia's CURRENT rate of gun crime is 30 times lower then the US's (per 100K pop).

JRslinger said:
Also Australia doesn't have the inner city gang problems that we do.
Actually we do in proportion, many differning nationalities fight for control. They just don't shoot each other.

JRslinger said:
How does that fact that crime victims know their attacker have any bearing on self defense?
Because you are very likely to be shot with the family gun, by another family member (whom you are unlikely/unable to shoot back, as they have your gun....).

JRslinger said:
Furthermore the national crime victimization survey estimates 100,000 defensive gun uses a year. It's halfway down the page.
http://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/165476.txt
To quote that same report wich is very out of date (from 1997)
"Evidence suggests that this survey and others like it overestimate the frequency with which firearms were used by private citizens to defend against criminal attack. "

Studies show that only 0.2% of crime is thwarted by guns, this includes the use of guns by police officers (20% of these incidents).

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
TechNoFear said:
JRslinger said:
As a rebuttal to your Australia comment I provide this link

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/gun-laws-fall-short-in-war-on-crime/2005/10/28/1130400366681.html
That artical is from 2005.

In Australia NOW it is a requirement that all firearms are kept at a gun club
OR
after two years ownership may be kept at home in a locked safe.

This stops guns getting into the wrong hands or being used in a moment of anger.

Even that artical mentions a 19% drop in gun murders, contrasted with a 4% increase in attempted murder involving guns (due to the ban on high powered semi autos).

This is a net 15% decrease in gun related crime.

The SMH is also similar to FOX in outlook ie biased and sensasionalist in nature.

Fact is that Australia's CURRENT rate of gun crime is 30 times lower then the US's (per 100K pop).

JRslinger said:
Also Australia doesn't have the inner city gang problems that we do.
Actually we do in proportion, many differning nationalities fight for control. They just don't shoot each other.

JRslinger said:
How does that fact that crime victims know their attacker have any bearing on self defense?
Because you are very likely to be shot with the family gun, by another family member (whom you are unlikely/unable to shoot back, as they have your gun....).

JRslinger said:
Furthermore the national crime victimization survey estimates 100,000 defensive gun uses a year. It's halfway down the page.
http://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/165476.txt
To quote that same report wich is very out of date (from 1997)
"Evidence suggests that this survey and others like it overestimate the frequency with which firearms were used by private citizens to defend against criminal attack. "

Studies show that only 0.2% of crime is thwarted by guns, this includes the use of guns by police officers (20% of these incidents).

how about, its our constitutional right to have guns.

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
YOU DON'T NEED A FREAKIN AK-47 TO TAKE DOWN A DEER PEOPLE. If you can't do it with a regular gun or an arrow, you aren't a real hunter and are just compensating for something.

As for the "self protection" argument, maybe you should quit wasting your money on firearms and move to a safer neighborhood.

I've never understood how people keep dragging the second amendment around like a free pass...it was put in the constitution because at the time we were in a freaking war and there was still wilderness and bears and hostile Native American tribes and whatnot.

I'm sorry gun nuts, I'm with the pres on this. Hell, I wish we could use Chris Rock's stance on gun control....."Make each bullet $5000. Then if you hear that someone's been shot, you know they had it coming"

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Samurai Goomba said:
I find it ridiculous that we've had multiple people talk about how this assault ban is on semi-auto weapons, and only on certain ones (for cosmetic reasons), and yet people still keep posting like they think this "Assault weapon" ban is going to remove machine guns from the hands of the populace.

News flash: Fully-automatic machine guns are already illegal. All this ban does is make certain models (but NOT ALL) of semi-automatic rifles illegal. It does not keep people from buying semi-auto weapons. It does not keep people from even buying semi-auto rifles. This law, in effect, does absolutely nothing useful.

http://forums.howwhatwhy.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=weapons&Number=305314&fpart=1

Here's a link to a forum explaining the difference between manual, semi-auto and fully automatic firing modes. It was all I could find on short notice.

The only real difference between a civilian AR-15 and a civilian semi-auto hunting rifle is that the rifle is more accurate and fires a more powerful cartridge. Why ban an inferior gun (well, sorta) that CANNOT fire in full-auto mode?
You will NEVER get it through these guys heads that the "scary" looking gun is the same damn thing as your grandads hunting rifle. Paint any rifle black put a pistol grip on it and suddenly it's an assault rifle that only has one purpose and thats to kill people. Or they think the asinine mag cap limit will help. (like the .5-3 seconds it takes to change a mag is gonna help prevent a killing spree)

But you can't argue with people that see things from an emotional or idealic perspective.

cordeos

Apr 2, 2009
x434343 said:
Does anyone know why we have the second amendment? It is so that, if ever needed, the people of America would have the means to overthrow and replace an opressive government.

By banning any sort of gun, a red flag should go up. If he bans all guns, all he's done is opressed America, preventing the right to own the means of revolution.
how much good is that assault rifle going to do against an Abrams tank or F22 raptor, the government has always had the civilian population outgunned even after the revolution the government had ships an cannon. I support the right to own a hand gun or hunting rifle after extensive background checks and psychological testing.

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
Most gangs in China dont have access to gun so they use the next best thing swords(machete,katanas,kukri). So does that mean we should ban all knives and sharp pointy objects?

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
cordeos said:
x434343 said:
Does anyone know why we have the second amendment? It is so that, if ever needed, the people of America would have the means to overthrow and replace an opressive government.

By banning any sort of gun, a red flag should go up. If he bans all guns, all he's done is opressed America, preventing the right to own the means of revolution.
how much good is that assault rifle going to do against an Abrams tank or F22 raptor, the government has always had the civilian population outgunned even after the revolution the government had ships an cannon. I support the right to own a hand gun or hunting rifle after extensive background checks and psychological testing.
people of Somalia did pretty well in Black hawk Down

Gruthar

Mar 27, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
That's the ammendment. Clearly you only had the right to bear arms in order to form state militias - which were eliminated/reorganized after your little civil war. This was to let you form regional armies not under control of the President, it wasn't so every idiot could have his own substitute penis.
And clearly the Supreme Court disagrees with you. It was the very same 2nd Amendment that prevented the arms of newly freed slaves from being seized in the time following the Civil War. Many states in the South attempted to make it illegal for people of color to own a firearm, and their laws were ultimately struck down as unconstitutional. Read the Heller decision. The more recent Nordyke vs King decision in from the 9th Circuit of Appeals also details the historical and cultural background of the 2nd Amendment as part of the court's opinion.

And to those who believe that an armed insurrection, when there is enough popular support, has no chance against a modern army, you need only to look as far as Chechnya and Iraq and Afghanistan (both times). That said, I doubt there will ever be a time when another rebellion occurs in the US, but there are plenty of other scenarios where it would be nice to be armed. Natural disasters come to mind.

RH3INLAND.

Apr 18, 2009
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Come on--these guns have the word "assault" right in the freaking name.

Unless you're in the military, or the deer you're hunting has a bazooka, you don't need one.

/Thread.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Well I don't think its that a deal. The publc just needs shotguns AND WE WILL BE FINE. My friend told me "Why do they ba handguns bt ot shot guns? Shot Guns are more Dangerous" (I live in Canada so all we get are shotguns/ hunting rifles) God he is a dumb ass. You can hide a hand gun on you, but yo can't hide a freaking shot gun.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I admit that assault rifles are only useful in supreme worst case scenarios, like when we get hit with a nuclear bomb or a civil war takes place, but for many people, like me, it is a constitution interpretation issue. Side note, I do not believe that Obama is an at all effective administrator, so I don't think that he will get what he wants for long or get a second term.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
I really hope he does there are just to many people who don't know how to properly use a weapen like that, wich makes it very dangerous.

HateDread

Jan 20, 2009
Gormourn said:
You can bear all the arms you want, I'd rather arm bears. Bwahaha FEAR MY ARMY OF POLAR BEARS ARMED WITH LAZERS AND MACHINE GUNS!
RA3 took your bear ideas. Sorry man...

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
Samurai Goomba said:
I find it ridiculous that we've had multiple people talk about how this assault ban is on semi-auto weapons, and only on certain ones (for cosmetic reasons), and yet people still keep posting like they think this "Assault weapon" ban is going to remove machine guns from the hands of the populace.

News flash: Fully-automatic machine guns are already illegal. All this ban does is make certain models (but NOT ALL) of semi-automatic rifles illegal. It does not keep people from buying semi-auto weapons. It does not keep people from even buying semi-auto rifles. This law, in effect, does absolutely nothing useful.

http://forums.howwhatwhy.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=weapons&Number=305314&fpart=1

Here's a link to a forum explaining the difference between manual, semi-auto and fully automatic firing modes. It was all I could find on short notice.

The only real difference between a civilian AR-15 and a civilian semi-auto hunting rifle is that the rifle is more accurate and fires a more powerful cartridge. Why ban an inferior gun (well, sorta) that CANNOT fire in full-auto mode?
You will NEVER get it through these guys heads that the "scary" looking gun is the same damn thing as your grandads hunting rifle. Paint any rifle black put a pistol grip on it and suddenly it's an assault rifle that only has one purpose and thats to kill people. Or they think the asinine mag cap limit will help. (like the .5-3 seconds it takes to change a mag is gonna help prevent a killing spree)

But you can't argue with people that see things from an emotional or idealic perspective.
Yep. I mean, what's up with all the people who think the fallacious label of "assault weapon" makes the gun worthy of banning? By that logic, anything could be banned as long as it was capable of firing projectiles fast enough to kill a person and had a scary enough name.

People, please, PLEASE read up on what this ban actually does. It is NOT a ban on full-auto weapons, it's not even a ban on SEMI-auto weapons (and there is a HUGE difference between the two). The fully-automatic guns that you all are saying should be banned ARE ALREADY BANNED! This ban is based on cosmetic reasons. It doesn't prohibit semi-auto weapons from being purchased, only certain models (man, I'm sounding like a broken record, but it seems like nobody's listening.) A civvy AK-47 is no more dangerous than any other semi-auto rifle that exists, and possibly less dangerous than a great many so-called "hunting" rifles.

The name of a weapon (especially when given by a group that hates said weapons) is not an accurate way of telling whether or not that weapon should be banned.

The difference between full and semi auto is the difference between an Uzi and a Colt Government.