Obama: "Turn off the video games and pick up a book."

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308151/news/barack-obama-turn-off-the-video-games-and-pick-up-a-book/

I actually agree with him. He's not saying people shouldn't play video games. He's saying kids shouldn't be playing video games all day long.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
No Obama! I will not turn off my video games! Especially not because you say it!

Then again, I read (or try) to read every night and always read when in the train and all that. So, I'm good.
I do agree with him yet I've seen people who doesn't play videogames and read even less. So, yeah...

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
What if I do both? Also, since his coments about The Falklands and Argentina, My opinion of him has lowered, so I'm less inclined to agree with him.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Before people put on their white pillow covers and put it over their heads, read the last paragraph. Obama is addressing poor parenting, games being a distration for kids to realise they have shitty parents... like me.
And always, he saying games are not bad, everything is done in moderation.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Well...with kids...yeah, that's probaly right. Everything needs to be done in a balance, so if a child plays video games all day long, yeah I agree with him there. But I DO have a balance. I play about 2-3 hours of games, 1 hour reading, 1 hour excercise, the rest is either work, life essentials or sleep. So...yeah...don't get on my case mousieur Obama...

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
agreeing with this although mabye instead of a book go outside and play, learn an instument, get a job? most of these would have been equally and(in my opinion) better then put down the controller and read

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Sorry guys, sounds like good advice to me. I love games but reading is a big deal and we as a country don't do nearly enough of it. If the president is asking parents to put a little more effort into getting our kids to read then we must really have a problem

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Lt. Vinciti said:
I have something to say to him...

Do your freakin job!
Considering one of the duties of the president (or any public figurehead) is to try to be a role-model, I'd say he's doing his job. The unfortunate thing is that he is like many adults (my own father included) who view video games as detrimental. It would be nice to get past the books = good, video games = bad.

CazGirl

Feb 24, 2011
Games educate and tell stories sometimes better than books. So better advice would be to turn off the video games and go outside or spend sometime with Dad.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I offer an ultimatum Mr. President: I continue gaming but, I will make sure to include 1 - 3 hours of Morrowind or, Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2. Or even Dragon Age Origins if I'm aching for something current-gen. Allow me that Mr. President and I promise to read all of that juicy, delicious text.

...I also take it you didn't care for The Witcher 2?

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
You could just as easily replace video games with literally any leisure activity to get across that tired platitude of stop procrastinating and get on with your bloody work. Really, the guy gets pegged as a scapegoat enough as it is and now he's just inviting a new generation of people to paint him in the light of the condescending old luddite sneering down at the pathetic children and their toys. My god, how the hell does the president drolling out the words stop screwing around and sit down and study constitute news, as if this rousing oration is going to instill the youth of America with a new found sense of vivacity and diligence. Yeah, I'm making way too big of deal of this but so are the press for printing this worthless shit in first place. (Please note: I am staunchly left of centre so don't accuse of ripping on Obama just becuase he's not on my team, people of any disposition should be able to call him out on this shit.)

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
Lt. Vinciti said:

Do your freakin job!
Considering one of the duties of the president (or any public figurehead) is to try to be a role-model, I'd say he's doing his job. The unfortunate thing is that he is like many adults (my own father included) who view video games as detrimental. It would be nice to get past the books = good, video games = bad.

Right
Right

I know I look up to a man who goes on "The View"

Role Model? I laugh!

There are plenty more men to take as a role model....

Also some games....require you to read....and perhaps people should write better books....

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
I love Obama, I love video games.
He makes a fair point though
I just hope he doesn't become anti games

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
Lt. Vinciti said:

Do your freakin job!
He also has people who tell him what to say to grab the largest demographics so he is saying to parents too stupid to manage their own children things they want to hear. If they were doing their jobs though his people would know the average age of gamers is 37 and that violent teen crime has been steadily decreasing with the rise of game and multiplayer.

Shoggoth2588 said:
...I also take it you didn't care for The Witcher 2?
Anything given to the US president that isn't culturally significant, an antique of value or to be displayed in the White House/Smithsonian etc. is destroyed by the Secret Service. Like here in Ireland there is the pub in Moneygal where the the Landlord has, in a case, the glasses used by Obama and his wife. Glasses which would have the DNA and fingerprints of the current US President. Tell me how likely that sounds.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Lt. Vinciti said:
SoopaSte123 said:
Lt. Vinciti said:

Do your freakin job!

Right
Right

I know I look up to a man who goes on "The View"

Role Model? I laugh!

There are plenty more men to take as a role model....

Also some games....require you to read....and perhaps people should write better books....
Whether or not you like him or agree with his policies or think he's a good or bad role model, it doesn't change the fact that he IS one. Just like all the popular rappers and drug riddled movie stars... oh well.