Oblivion, as it Was

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Ian Dorsch said:
RPG Codex called, it wants its thread back.
Those guys strike me as a bit overzealous... nostalgia-crazed purists, the exact opposite of fanboys. They can be funny at times, though.

R Man

Dec 19, 2007
ComradeJim270 said:
R Man said:
When critising a game you can't just note the faults, you have to actually note what is also good, where trade off have been made and where it is actually not viable to have a feature included.
I feel that's been done more than enough, with all kinds of reviews heaping praise upon the game and overlooking problems, so I just did the exact opposite, in a sort of satire. I do mention good things, but much like the reviews which I feel made the game sound better than it does, I mentioned them only briefly, or downplayed them. Funny thing is, I still feel this review is probably more accurate from the standpoint of a fan of Western RPGs.

You can probably expect this in future reviews from me, going into detail about things I feel were overlooked by many reviewers, but I'm not going to try and make a good game sound bad, or vice versa... more likely, I'll just try and cut everything down to size when I feel something is over-hyped. What you can expect from me are not reviews meant to stand on their own, but to stand against others, and in doing so provide the big picture, something I feel only a small portion of reviews actually do.

In short, the more hype and fanboy-ism surrounds something, the harsher I'm going to be towards it. If people say a game is great, I'm going to raise the bar they say it should be able to handle.
Perhaps because I never read the Oblivion reviews I judged the game on it's own merits. My fear is that many critisism (In general) are 'reactionary' and mark it harder because some people like it, rather than a fair view. In this case it's harly fair on the game as you should be attacking fanboys rather than the game itself.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
I sometimes think that Oblivion had degraded a bit from its high perch. It was good looking and had more stuff to do but it tended to reierate itself. Voice acting was horrible, spell list was crap, weapons were bad, the story made no sense. It was just one huge load of poo, elder scolls 5 has to fix this probolem. If you will excuse me, I want to go play some Morrowind.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
R Man said:
ComradeJim270 said:
R Man said:
When critising a game you can't just note the faults, you have to actually note what is also good, where trade off have been made and where it is actually not viable to have a feature included.
I feel that's been done more than enough, with all kinds of reviews heaping praise upon the game and overlooking problems, so I just did the exact opposite, in a sort of satire. I do mention good things, but much like the reviews which I feel made the game sound better than it does, I mentioned them only briefly, or downplayed them. Funny thing is, I still feel this review is probably more accurate from the standpoint of a fan of Western RPGs.

You can probably expect this in future reviews from me, going into detail about things I feel were overlooked by many reviewers, but I'm not going to try and make a good game sound bad, or vice versa... more likely, I'll just try and cut everything down to size when I feel something is over-hyped. What you can expect from me are not reviews meant to stand on their own, but to stand against others, and in doing so provide the big picture, something I feel only a small portion of reviews actually do.

In short, the more hype and fanboy-ism surrounds something, the harsher I'm going to be towards it. If people say a game is great, I'm going to raise the bar they say it should be able to handle.
Perhaps because I never read the Oblivion reviews I judged the game on it's own merits. My fear is that many critisism (In general) are 'reactionary' and mark it harder because some people like it, rather than a fair view. In this case it's harly fair on the game as you should be attacking fanboys rather than the game itself.
Yes, this review could construed as very... reactionary, though I feel that word has more negative connotations than I'd like, and am now tempted to reach for a thesaurus. However, I feel I should note that while my feelings towards Oblivion fanboys may have had an impact on this review, all the things I have said about it here are things I thought about it before I had much interaction with said fanboys. Just something I want to make clear.

Lord_Ascendant said:
I sometimes think that Oblivion had degraded a bit from its high perch. It was good looking and had more stuff to do but it tended to reierate itself. Voice acting was horrible, spell list was crap, weapons were bad, the story made no sense. It was just one huge load of poo, elder scolls 5 has to fix this probolem. If you will excuse me, I want to go play some Morrowind.
Are you reading my mind? Seriously, I was just thinking that last night.