Oblivion is better (IMO)

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I recently mentioned offhand in a topic that i preferred The Elder Scrolls Four: Oblivion over The Elder Scrolls Three: Morrowind. and in return got about half a dozen hate filled sarcastic comments insulting my intelligence for it. I ask you, why should i have to endure this because i prefer one game over another? The reasons i stated where, i felt, just. In an open world game, I like to have a clear idea of where i am going. This allows me to focus on the story, and what I'm actually supposed to be doing. I do not enjoy having to read my journal and work out directions ever 6 seconds. Thus Oblivion is better to me. I digress. Has anyone else had this? Been insulted because of a personal preference in games that the masses do not agree with? If so post here. State the game, and you're fair reason. I wish to know just how common this is.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
We weren't attacking you for liking Oblivion better, we simply pointed out that the compass isn't necessary if you spend the time reading the journal and looking at the map.

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
Hey elderscrolls 3 wasnt the best anyway, i enjoyed 2 alot more (minus the bugs, so buggy)... I still have that old computer around somewhere (thinks about going into the shed to find it)

Simriel

Dec 22, 2008
Starnerf said:
We weren't attacking you for liking Oblivion better, we simply pointed out that the compass isn't necessary if you spend the time reading the journal and looking at the map.
You're comment was not. I understand this. But there where others that insulted me, and berated me just because they liked Oblivion better.

Fraeir

Sep 22, 2008
I'm gonna have to say... I love Oblivion, mostly because... I never had even heard of the Elder Scrolls series before it, thus, if I play Morrowind or any of the others, I will lean biased towards Oblivion... Sorry, fans and supporters of Morrowind, I have to take Simriel's side on this one. Though, I do read journal entries, and any quest-related books (Main quest or side-quests) and notes I find. I want to read what I (supposedly) wrote in my journal. XD

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
If it was just a difference in opinion, I wouldn't have said anything. I would have shook my head or something at your taste in games, but I wouldn't have pushed mine onto you. It's just that you said something I liked very much about the game was a "flaw". That's not neutral, you're not saying you like Oblivion's system better, you're saying Oblivion IS better. So I countered by saying Morrowind IS better.

Simriel

Dec 22, 2008
Fraeir said:
I'm gonna have to say... I love Oblivion, mostly because... I never had even heard of the Elder Scrolls series before it, thus, if I play Morrowind or any of the others, I will lean biased towards Oblivion... Sorry, fans and supporters of Morrowind, I have to take Simriel's side on this one. Though, I do read journal entries, and any quest-related books (Main quest or side-quests) and notes I find. I want to read what I (supposedly) wrote in my journal. XD
I like to read my journal too. When i don't wish to be hammering on with the main plot. But it was the fact that the directions in the journal where tricky to follow, i was just starting out as a gamer at this time so having to read complex directions in order to find things in an open world game was NOT appreciated.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I prefer oblivion too, but really, it's a simple fact that if your opinion goes against the masses, you'll get flamed for it.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I actually played Oblivion whereas Morrowind kind of sat on my shelf neglected after I got really bored of it so that should convey my opinions on the matter.

Not that Oblivion didn't have it's own problems.

Simriel

Dec 22, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I actually played Oblivion whereas Morrowind kind of sat on my shelf neglected after I got really bored of it so that should convey my opinions on the matter.

Not that Oblivion didn't have it's own problems.
Oh oblivion had MANY problems. The leveling system was shoddy, trying to be an archer was hellish, and some glitches where so bad they screwed up the entire game for people. But the fact is, it did so many things RIGHT that i was able to play PAST the flaws. Oh and another game that falls in my morrwind pile of 'will not play no more' is mass effect. Everyone loves it. but i just could not get into it.

Talon_Kale

Jan 14, 2009
I enjoyed oblivion but overall I prefer morrowind. It just felt to me as if too much had been taken out of Oblivion. But at the end of the day its all down to personal preference and what you want from a game. If you perfer Oblivion grand if you dont well thats fine 2 :)

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
Both games are so drastically different in narrative and feel that it seems kind of odd to compare them. People who loved Morrowind often cite "improvements" made for Oblivion as flaws while others who weren't terribly fond of Morrowind defend these changes.

Both games have their strengths and weaknesses, and they have their respective crowds. Personally, I don't see the point in expressing a preference either way.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I think that both Oblivon and Morrowind are awesome.

Morrowind is great for the creativity that went into creating the world and the storyline. Oblivion is great for the improved combat system, having a living world (where NPCs travel, go to sleep, eat, etc. instead of standing around on the same spot 24hrs a day). And of course, both games are great for the sheer depth, size, replayability and the beautiful graphics.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
It's ridiculous to insult someone over there oppinion, escpecially so in this case because your absolutly right oblivion is way better than morrowind

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
I think that both Oblivon and Morrowind are awesome.

Morrowind is great for the creativity that went into creating the world and the storyline. Oblivion is great for the improved combat system, having a living world (where NPS travel, go to sleep, eat, etc. instead of standing around on the same spot 24hrs a day). And of course, both games are great for the sheer depth, size, replayability and the beautiful graphics.
That....and also the soundtracks are orgasmic.

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
I respect your opinion. Oblivion is a good game, I can totally see why you prefer it to Morrowind.

I prefer the larger world of Morrowind myself however.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
As EasyKill pointed out, I was bothered by your statement that Morrowind was "flawed", which is not an opinion, but simply an incorrect statement.

Also, I stand by my statements. You said it was too hard to figure out where to go. Myself and others pointed out that the journal would lay out *exactly* where to go. You said, "I got a quest where the directions were a cabin by a river to the east." I proved you wrong and posted the actual directions, which were fairly comprehensive. Then you made one more post where you screamed about how Morrowind was old and then ran off to whine in your own thread.

Oblivion had an arguably improved combat system, though it lost many things as well, and had a much more up to date graphics engine. Those are its advantages. In every other area, it is provably inferior to Morrowind. Your opinion is wrong. If you came into a thread claiming Stephenie Meyer is a better author than Joseph Heller because you understood Twilight better than Catch-22 or because you liked vampires better than soldiers, you'd also be wrong, and I'd tell you so then too.

- J

EDIT: Allow me to clarify.

"I liked Oblivion better than Morrowind" is not an opinion that is wrong.
"Oblivion is better than Morrowind" is.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
That....and also the soundtracks are orgasmic.
The soundtracks of both games are very good yes. But I still turn the music off for both games eventually. In Morrowind there isn't enough variety and I get tired of listening to the same song over and over again. And in Oblivion, the environment sounds so good, that I prefer hearing that to the music.

tiredinnuendo said:
Oblivion had an arguably improved combat system...
I think almost everything is better than simple, Diablo-Style mouse-bashing. ;)
And the different combat moves in Morrowind were completely useless.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
I think almost everything is better than simple, Diablo-Style mouse-bashing. ;)
And the different combat moves in Morrowind were completely useless.
Oh no, I fully agree. They gained a bit of flair to the combat, made bare fists not take forever to kill something, removed the need to raise your "magic hands", made magicka recharge over time, and the overall look of several moves was highly improved.

They also removed several types of spells and weapons, as well as many different combat skills, and made the game (which I remind you is an RPG, not an FPS) count twitch skill over character stats far more than the previous title.

Overall, I'd choose Oblivion's combat style over Morrowind, but you can't deny that some things were lost.

- J

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
I personally love both of them. What you must understand is that they are both radically different games save for the fact that they revolve around the same universe. Both cater to different aesthetics. Oblivion is an excellent game though and I don't blame you for liking it more, morrowind too is a good game.