Oblivion Mods

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Ok so I just got Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and I have been having fun in Vanilla Mode jumping from story quest to story quest. However all my friends say that mods are what really flesh the game out and I have decided to take their advice and try some. However I have no idea where to begin for them.

Do any of you fellow Escapists know of any good mods for the game?

I right now have Vanilla, as well as the add-ons Knights of the nine and The Shimmering Isles.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/top/alltime.php?adult=2

That is all you will need.
Scroll down, find one you like, and follow the instructions.

Make sure to use Oblivion Mod Manager and OBSE. They can easily be found from that site.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Miles000 said:

Make sure to use Oblivion Mod Manager and OBSE. They can easily be found from that site.
Whats OBSE?

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Well, to start off, I'd recommend not getting any mods that boost your power level.
Such as new weapons and the like.

The unofficial patch is nice to have, 'cos even after all this time, vanilla is still quite buggy.

Other than that, maybe play through vanilla first, then restart with a bunch of mods to see how it's different.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
The better cities mod is an awesome looking cosmetic change to all the towns but could easily be the most difficult mod to install unless you know about load order and wyre bash and have OB.S.E (oblivion script extender). All natural and animated window texture and lighting system for those extra touches to top of said now awesome cities. Unique landscapes mod can add alot of stuff to the areas outside town and most of these mods are most easily used or pretty much require you to get oblivion mod manager. There other new area stuff like floating houses or this one called alchemists cave and mud-water. I didn't like the magic system so I also run supreme magicka which doesn't empower you beyond I CAN SHOOT LIGHTNING FROM MY HANDS. Enchantment mastery goes well with it but can easily make you overpowered. Rest of the stuff im running is player/npc cosmetic or new armor and weapons with the exception of two handed back stabs and hand to hand does way more damage.

Disturbed-Hell

Shas'la
Mar 18, 2010
Solo-Wing said:
Miles000 said:

Whats OBSE?
OBSE is Oblivion Script Extender, a .exe file that is required to play many of the more complex mods for the game.

OT I'd recommend trying MMM, MartsMonsterMod, as it adds a butload of creatures and hostiles to the otherwise fairly bland array of enemies.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
For new story, maps, quests, items, enemies ECT all in once package get a total conversion mod. Nehrim is probably the best one out there right now, but Andoran - Prologue is being released shortly and looks amazing.
The former is in German, and the latter Russian. There is already an english patch for Nehrim but you may need to wait a bit after Andorans Release for someone to make a patch.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Get the Dungeons of Ivellon mod. It is a quest that takes you into a pitch black dungeon filled with some more side quests. It actually makes a creepy atmosphere, because you can't see that far, there are random noises all around and monsters can sneak up behind you. Don't play it with night eye because that would ruin the fun, but get to a good level first (about 25).

It takes about 10 hours to complete.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Solo-Wing said:
Whats OBSE?
One of the first things you should be downloading. It's Oblivion Script Extender. Some mods, especially the larger ones, will not run without it.

You then want Oblivion Mod Manager. You will find that on the TESNexus.

You will also need to hunt down ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated. I'll save you the trouble.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10724

Quite a few mods need that to run. You can toggle Archive Invalidation in Mod Manager but it's recommended you download that mod, it's just easier.

You will then need BOSS, Better Oblivion Sorting Software. That will correct your load order for the mods and make sure there are no conflicts that would cause issues, say for example you have 2 mods that both occupy the same world space it will warn you and you'll then delete one. Load order is important because if you have a mod that requires a master to run and it's loaded before the master then you'll probably have crashes. Use BOSS and all your problems will be solved.

So many times i've seen people on forums complaining a mod they downloaded "broke their game" because they don't use any of the tools. Mods will very rarely have any issues, the main problem is people trying to play around with mods without using any of the tools to help them.

And finally.

When you get a bit bored of Oblivion in it's original state then try this mod....

http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

It's a complete overhaul of Oblivion and pretty much makes it an entirely new game.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
First of all : think about Oblivion flaws. You never liked that silly game in conversations ? There's mod that switches it off. Magic was too powerful, or to weak for you ? There are mods that rapidly regenerate mana or allow permanent summons or make all effects 10x weaker. Some quests would be nice ? Sure, why not. You wanted titties ? There's and app, i mean, mod for that.

There are 1000s of mods out there. Some of them are mutually exclusive. Do not try to use them all, just start by finding your area of interest and check what mods are available. For example : it may be funny but i can't live without this mod :)
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=189

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Nehrim I've heard incredible things about but you may as well finish Oblivion first as it's an entirely new game.

This site [http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/obliviontextureoverhaul.html] will show you how to make Oblivion look incredible, if you have a machine that can do it. I'd warn that it's easy to install too many of these visual mods which can make load orders and avoiding conflicts difficult.

And watch out at the TESNexus, there's a lot of creepy-ass mods involving various levels of nudity, appendage size and cat/lizard fucking. And some of those are in the Top 10.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Casimir_Effect said:
Nehrim I've heard incredible things about but you may as well finish Oblivion first as it's an entirely new game.

This site [http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/obliviontextureoverhaul.html] will show you how to make Oblivion look incredible, if you have a machine that can do it. I'd warn that it's easy to install too many of these visual mods which can make load orders and avoiding conflicts difficult.

And watch out at the TESNexus, there's a lot of creepy-ass mods involving various levels of nudity, appendage size and cat/lizard fucking. And some of those are in the Top 10.
Only if you don't make a point to disable Adult Content, that is...

But yeah, Oblivion Script Extender, Oblivion Mod Manager, and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul to get you started, then I'd say expand out from there, Unique Landscapes is mandatory downloading so far as I'm concerned, as it actually makes many areas of Cyrodill visually diverse.

Jun 11, 2008
Em just to let you know there is already an older thread for this so while there is new stuff out like those Total Conversion mods posted that has a good chunk of stuff in it. I am off now but I will post some good ones when I return. For now though look at Deadly Combat.

Aug 1, 2010
First, get Oblivion Mod Manager and OBSE. They are absolutely required.

I LOVE the Dark Brotherhood, so the first thing I did was expand all of their operations and base.

You may be very tempted by Deadly Reflex, but in my experience it is BY FAR the hardest mod to install. Both of the times I have seen it attempted it has completely nuked Oblivion, requiring a reinstall.

Oh and one last thing: Adult Content. Nudity, Hentia, Hotter Clothes etc. I always like putting those things in a game, and you should try them out! Be honest, can you really say no to Giant Lizard Tentacle Rape???

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I also just started playing Oblivion,so im interested too. Does anyone know if I can run these mods on Steam? I heard OBSE hates it.

Apr 8, 2010
Seconding most of the stuff the people have already said. Heres a quick summary of what I'd recommend:

Tools You Need

BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting Software)
Wrye Bash
OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager)
OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender)

Better Graphics/Performance

OBGE (Oblivion Graphics Extender)
Darnified UI
Streamline
Qarl's Texture Pack

Gameplay Mods

Unique Landscapes Compilation
Better Cities
Deadly Reflex
Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul
Frostcrag Reborn
Windfall
Elsweyr Anequina
Malevolent + Tears Of The Fiend

Where to go to get that stuff: TESNexus [http://www.tesnexus.com]

Also, always remember to read the README files that come with your mods to check for compatibility issues....