Oblivion - New User

MooseRyder

Dec 16, 2008
Search for the Daedric quests and do the one that gives you the skeleton key.
You have to be level 10 though..
But the skeleton key makes everything easier.

MooseRyder

Dec 16, 2008
ZenMonkey47 said:
If you plan to use heavy armor, join the fighters guild as soon as possible. Many of the branch offices have steel armor laying around for the taking and the main branch has 2 fine steel longswords for your use.

Abjuration makes lockpicking obsolete. Level yourself up to 75ish and you can open ANY lock without the use of lockpicks.

Illusion makes persuasion obsolete. As soon as you get into the Arcane University make a touch spell that gives 100 reaction for 1 second. Since dialogue "stops time" this allows you to use your good vibrations, talk to them and get maximum reaction for only a tiny amount of mana.

Destruction and Restoration are hard skills to gain ranks in, because to gain ranks in destruction you have to do damage to something and to gain ranks in restoration you have to heal damage. Now you could summon something and blast away at it, but the easy way is to make a spell in the Arcane University that does 1 damage to yourself and then heals yourself.

Don't pick skills that you plan on using a lot for your main skills. I realize how silly this sounds, but the faster you level up, the stronger your enemies get. However, if you pick things that you can easily control how much you use (such as locksmithing and persuasion) it's possible to be the most powerful warrior-mage in all the land and still be level 1.
Leveling Destruction is the easiest.
Just make a spell that damages yourself for 1 damage and only costs one mana.
You health and mana will regenerate instantly and you can cast it over and over again.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Try to get your hands on some grand soul gems and get access to the Imperial City's Arcane University. Enchant some ordinary clothing (the lighter the better) with Chameleon (at 20% an item, you enchant a hood, a shirt, a pair of pants, a pair of shoes, and a ring, and you're at 100%.)

Hundred Percent Chameleon does have the side effect of pretty much completely and utterly breaking the game, but it's useful for Oblivion Gates since you can just run through them undetected and rack up fame points. Also tremendously useful for any quest that requires you to steal from people's homes, since you can break in without having to wait for the person to leave their house. There's so much crazy crap you can do with 100% Chameleon that, like I said, it breaks the game if you're trying to play it seriously, but it's very useful for dashing through the game's occasional dull parts.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Thanks for the tips, started playing it yesterday. Does anyone know where to find the six bottles of wine for the woman in the pub outside the Imperial City? She says they're in ruins but every ruin I've been to I've searched and they're not there.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Get Morrowind, you should be able to get it really cheap somewhere, and it's better than Oblivion by far.

Hellion25

May 28, 2008
I would say avoid doing too many side-quests until you are a good chunk of the way through the story, else you may get sidetracked and find you've spent 30 hours on the game with no main story advances.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Kill someone as soon as possible. Then fall asleep and wait for the dark brotherhood to come. The assassins quests are the only part of the game I enjoyed. Ofcoarse, I seem to be an anomaly, most people love Oblivion to bits.

Straitjacketeering

Jan 3, 2009
Don't fast travel too much, I can't believe how fast I leveled up just fighting my way from one side of the map to another.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
SomeBritishDude said:
Kill someone as soon as possible. Then fall asleep and wait for the dark brotherhood to come. The assassins quests are the only part of the game I enjoyed. Ofcoarse, I seem to be an anomaly, most people love Oblivion to bits.
Me too. There were some mechanics I liked better in Oblivion, but the actual game was pretty much shit from my perspective. The Dark Brotherhood was the only really creative section in the game.

Straitjacketeering said:
Don't fast travel too much, I can't believe how fast I leveled up just fighting my way from one side of the map to another.
Considering how it's actually easier to beat the game at level one... What's the point?

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Hellion25 said:
I would say avoid doing too many side-quests until you are a good chunk of the way through the story, else you may get sidetracked and find you've spent 30 hours on the game with no main story advances.
I don't know. I've actually put in about 100 hours just doing side quests, Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles included, and have found them to be very fun. I haven't touched the main quest. My favorite part of the game so far has been the guild quest lines and everything in Shivering Isles.

Sep 9, 2007
Trivun said:
Thanks for the tips, started playing it yesterday. Does anyone know where to find the six bottles of wine for the woman in the pub outside the Imperial City? She says they're in ruins but every ruin I've been to I've searched and they're not there.
There are eight forts in the world that will have a locked chest that will contain 2 bottles of wine a piece.

The names of these forts are: Fort Aurus, Fort Carmala, Fort Dirich, Fort Grief, Fort Irony, Fort Magia, Fort Scinia and Fort Vlastarus. I'm pretty sure that the locks on the chests are quite difficult to break, so bring plenty of lockpicks.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
My only real tip for you, is make sure you save it just before you exit the sewers. Basically you are given a chance to edit your class and stuff then so if you ever want to re-roll then you don't have to go through the whole intro again.

Brokkr said:
Hellion25 said:
I don't know. I've actually put in about 100 hours just doing side quests, Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles included, and have found them to be very fun. I haven't touched the main quest. My favorite part of the game so far has been the guild quest lines and everything in Shivering Isles.
I thought Shivering Isles was sort of poor. It's too... cosmic. To a small extent, it's done the whole "let's put it in space" style of expanding.

Knights of the Nine however, absolutely adored it. So much fun. Was thinking about doing a video-run through of it soon but for some reason I can't remember how to start it.

FrankDux

Aug 5, 2008
Heard good things about Knights of the Nine...

As far as things coming down the pipeline though, I'd recommend Drakensang, it's up top of my list. The game killed it over in Germany and won a bunch of awards and is coming out for US release on February 24. Looks awesome, one of those classic RPGs we haven't had in a while.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Heard about Drakensang, it looks good but I'm not so keen on the fact that it's only out for PC. PC games are good, but I much prefer the level of control I have with a console controller (That said, I haven't played Halo in 3 months because I have it on PC and I'm still not used to the swap from left to right of the keyboard controls on my laptop)

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Ghaaa!!! I hit paste instead of copy!

Okay, condensed version, go!

Armorer, good skill for non-mages, make it a main. Alchemy, a good skill, doesn't need to be main though to be useful, but it helps speed things along if it is a main skill. Melee characters will find Restoration and Alchemy very useful, good for restoring fatigue. Acrobatic is good for escaping, Block is good too. Don't listen to the others about Marksman, just pour some time into it, and you'll find it to be very useful, the higher level skill even has a zoom feature.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Yeah, I've created a custom assassin class because I'm into the stealthy side, I definitely need to do the Dark Brotherhood and Thieve's Guild missions sometime soon.

Vanquisher2000

Jan 12, 2009
I must re-recommend www.uesp.net as it really is useful, and also, using magic is the way forwards, as the best swords do 30/31 damage yet spells are only governed by how much magicka you have, which if you're a high elf is very high (I have a custom spell that does about 600-1200 damage, but i'm not sure if i've calculated correctly) also, the frostcrag spire dlc is very useful, or if you don't have xbl the mages guild is very good, because regardless of level, you can get very useful spells, or if you're not a mage, you can still get enchanted weapons and armour with soul gems, which does require soul gems, but they aren't THAT hard to find.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Trivun said:
Not to be branded a noob or anything, but I recently bought a copy of the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (can't play it till tommorrow as I left my 360 at University). Any tips for new users? I'm usually used to JRPG's more than Western RPG's, so I'm limited to the first Fable game, any good western RPG's out there as well that I should play?
do all side missions and ignore all story missions

pick the more melee class since spells are only good when you want to try something cool out rather then get the job done

find out about the item duplication glitch

follow these steps and you won't leave your 360 for a couple of months

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
There is a diffiuculty setting bar. move it to the little to the left.