Obscure and old games you'd like to see get an HD re-release

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
PotluckBrigand said:
Cogwheel said:
PotluckBrigand said:
I was going to say Sacrifice
I'd just like to congratulate you on your excellent taste. Nice to see someone else who's played it.

Stratos is easily the best of them, by the way.
Yeah but that's not fair... He's got Tim Curry's voice so there's no way any of them could be cooler. Even Tony Jay couldn't upstage him in that game.
Tony Jay makes up for it by upstaging everyone everywhere else. Though to be fair, Mike Shapiro (I may have got the name wrong - Charnel's voice actor, anyway) had fairly good voice acting too. Stratos is partly excellent because of the lines themselves, though.

"Oh, let's be honest, now. In any halfway civilized world, I would be the only god."

In case it's not clear, by the way, while I have several ideas, an HD re-release of Sacrifice would be as good as any. More than that, though, I want to see it marketed properly this time. You know, so people actually hear about and buy it. The original was quite the marketing disaster.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
Cogwheel said:
PotluckBrigand said:
Cogwheel said:
PotluckBrigand said:
I was going to say Sacrifice
I'd just like to congratulate you on your excellent taste. Nice to see someone else who's played it.

Stratos is easily the best of them, by the way.
Yeah but that's not fair... He's got Tim Curry's voice so there's no way any of them could be cooler. Even Tony Jay couldn't upstage him in that game.
Tony Jay makes up for it by upstaging everyone everywhere else. Though to be fair, Mike Shapiro (I may have got the name wrong - Charnel's voice actor, anyway) had fairly good voice acting too. Stratos is partly excellent because of the lines themselves, though.

"Oh, let's be honest, now. In any halfway civilized world, I would be the only god."

In case it's not clear, by the way, while I have several ideas, an HD re-release of Sacrifice would be as good as any. More than that, though, I want to see it marketed properly this time. You know, so people actually hear about and buy it. The original was quite the marketing disaster.
I actually only originally bought it because it came packaged in a Two-pack with Messiah, which was marketed out the ass but ultimately didn't run on any machine I have ever tried to install it on. Even the GoG version crashed on me! But I threw the other disc in the drive and figured I'd get some of my money's worth and hooooly shit did I! But yeah... until that accidental encounter I had never heard of the game, and I've only met a few people who have played it.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Battle realms amazing fun eastern themed RTS unfortuntley over shadowed by the release of starcraft at similar time :) would be fun for this to re-released with a complete overhaul

PotluckBrigand

Jul 30, 2008
modernRecluse said:
DIS ONE, PLZ!
That game was fun! Rather than a re-release though I'd love to see an honest to goodness sequel or even just a fully done-up remake. That game was... not easy on the eyes, even when it came out haha.

This is the year of giant robots, man... keep your fingers crossed. Are those developers even still making games?

UPDATE: Monolith is still around. They made uh... The Matrix Online and Blood II: The Chosen...

Well, they also made F.E.A.R. and uh... F.E.A.R 2... urgh...

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
All been said already.

SSX Tricky (although I'd rather them make a true sequel too it, don't think I'll bother with the new one, they've ruined my favourite psycho by making him all normal and realistic, 3 was already a step too far into realism but the customization was cool)
JSRF.
Timesplitters (with HD anaconda, I spent so long playing that in 2)
Tombi/Tomba might be interesting to see the bright world and sharper images, plus it's a complete nightmare to find that game anywhere.
Alundra, I'm not sure if it's on PSN yet still but not really sure if a HD would bring that much of an improvement to it.

Actually no too FFVII, unless it's a proper remake (PS3 tech demo style) then I'm not interested I've paid enough for that game already.
Maybe Genesis Sonic collection if the sonic team can manage to not screw them all up without just being emulated versions of the originals.
Love to see numberous handheld games brought to consoles as they never should have been handheld games in the first place. Phoenix Wright (was a proper handheld game) imagine playing with Kinect "OBJECTION" *Points finger*. You know you'd love it.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
PotluckBrigand said:
Funny. I actually spotted the Japanese version (it exists, presumably dubbed, but I don't know) in a used game store and read the back of the box. This was... mid-2001, so a little after it was released. Really wanted it, then managed to buy it by winter.

In hindsight, perhaps not the best game for a nine-year-old, but I liked it. Anyway, we should probably stop cluttering the thread, though I would be quite happy to take this to PMs.

PotluckBrigand said:
modernRecluse said:
DIS ONE, PLZ!
That game was fun! Rather than a re-release though I'd love to see an honest to goodness sequel or even just a fully done-up remake. That game was... not easy on the eyes, even when it came out haha.

Agreed once again. Bit harsh on the eyes, but more than that, the lethality was a bit too high for my liking, mostly thanks to how little healing there is in the game. The difficulty seemed to be perpetually set to supermurderdoubledeath, which isn't really my thing.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would like to see Phantom Crash on HD re-releasealthoguh they could update oe or two thing (e.g. all the Engrish errors).

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and 2

it'd be nice to play them without having to dig out and hook up my PS2 on the rare occasion I want to play them again

PotluckBrigand

Jul 30, 2008
Cogwheel said:
PotluckBrigand said:
modernRecluse said:
DIS ONE, PLZ!

Agreed once again. Bit harsh on the eyes, but more than that, the lethality was a bit too high for my liking, mostly thanks to how little healing there is in the game. The difficulty seemed to be perpetually set to supermurderdoubledeath, which isn't really my thing.
I just went and bought it on GoG haha. Hi-res be damned!

Really though on the OT (you're right, we got a little out of hand there :X), the Playstation Network started re-releasing some PS2 games for direct download... ones that for the most part don't warrant a COLLECTION release (a la Shadow of the Awesome-Colossum or Jak and Daxter), but were great stand-alone games. I want to see more of that! I loves me some PS1 games as much as the next gamer, but the ones I already own will play on my slim... PS2 games won't! I'd just love to see any library expansion of that. My PS2 is finally dying after almost ten years of faithful service. Rest well, old friend.

Also: Yes PS1 disc-games will play on a slim model PS3. I don't know if that was common knowledge, but no one told me. I found out on accident when I was too lazy to hook the PS2 up for Castlevania and too poor to buy it from the PSN.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Myst, Riven: The Sequel to Myst, Myst III Exile, Myst IV Revelation, Myst V End of Ages,

Please? Anyone? PLEASE?!

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Well, I got Pirates! - and though I occasionally play it, it's not the time sink it used to be. Wonder if my kids will like it.

After that, I have to just get picky as some of my favorites have been remade, but not well.

I'd really like to see a true to genre Syndicate (not the upcoming FPS).

I also loved Star Wars: Rebellion and would love to see a up to date version of it (Empire at War didn't quite work for me if it had less RTS and more Civ, it would have been perfect).

Finally, I miss the steady stream of SSI D&D games back in the day. Pool of Radiance, Azure Bonds, Hilsfar, etc. Baldur's Gate was fantastic, but haven't really seen anything worthwhile in quite some time.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Does 'Grim Fandango' count? Because that's the first thing I thought of when I read the title. And then my mind drifted towards, 'The Neverhood'.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Grim Fandango.

Still the funniest game ever written, and Tim Schaffer's best work.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
I would love to see either an HD Update, or at least a Re Release of GTA III and Vice City, i know they did a 10 year anniversary edition for GTA III, but the fact it's only available on phones is fucking retarded, this thing should be released on XBL Marketplace and Playstation Store.

BrokenStylus

May 11, 2011
BaronVH said:
Baldurs Gate. Cleaned up artwork for high resolution, a UI that fits with widescreen monitors at higher resolutions, and a new copy of that nice fancy manual.
Can't help you with a new fancy manual, but I believe high resolution tweaks and UI mods similar to what you desire can be found at:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/

In particular there's a mod that allows BG1 to run under the BG2 engine.

But yes, a new retail package with all that done already would be dashed convenient.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. With better graphics and all the bugs fixed.