Obscure game recommendations?

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Do you know of any decent games that never found a fanbase? Any obscure games that people generally do not know about, but should? Recommend it here.

I suppose I should start this thread off with a recommendation of my own, so I'll go with the Penumbra series. Those games are excellent and creepy as hell.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Operation Darkness: An xbox360 game that a bet only 1 out of 100,000 knows. Its about Werewolves versus Vampires during WW2, with the former with the British and the latter with the Germans. Turn based combat; very difficult. Made by Atlus. I love it.

Burig

Nov 8, 2010
I don't know if it's well known or not - personally yet to find one other person who has heard of it, but Silent Bomber on the PS1. Great game that.

There was another game that I had been looking for that I had a demo to aaaaaaaages ago. I'd love it if anyone knew what it was:
I remember there was some sort of airplane crash where you were in a jungle that had three platform levels (side on/platformer style), I think there was also a T-rex there too that you could try and shoot. Going to the left (I think) you go up a path where there's a sabertooth tiger in a cave that you have to kill to go passed (the camera now at a slightly isometric view). It might have been two seperate games, but I don't think so. Anyone happen to know what it was? On the PC. Something about it reminds me of the first Prince of Persia game, maybe the way you climb onto platforms? I'm fairly sure you play as a guy, but think there was a girl involved somehow too.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
To The Moon. It's a brilliant story/game that looks like old S-NES RPGs. It's one of the most touching, funny and engaging experiences I've played in a long time.

superdark

Jul 7, 2012
Titanic: Adventure out of time (point-and-click adventure)
Star Trek Armada (RTS)
Star Trek Elite Force (FPS)
Flashback (action adventure)

These are my favorite games that nobody else seems to know about.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll - Great fun, especially for you Dynasty Warriors fans out there.

3D Dot Game Heroes - Free-Roam Hack n' Slash. Closest comparison would be Legend of Zelda.

Outland - Hack n' Slash/Bullet Hell/Platformer. Great fun, this game.

Moon Diver - Extremely addicting side-scrolling Hack n' Slash Platformer.

White Knight Chronicles(II) - I don't know about unknown, but I see little love for this game. Great fun all the same.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter for the DS is a good, if easy, game. Dark Void is also good, especially if you like jetpacks. And if you're into strategy RPG's, Valkyria Chronicles should be more than able to please.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
pilouuuu said:
To The Moon. It's a brilliant story/game that looks like old S-NES RPGs. It's one of the most touching, funny and engaging experiences I've played in a long time.
You know I've heard people complain that To the Moon isn't really a game. Those people are soulless idiots.

Yeah. Lunar Flight, available on Steam. It is a modern re-interpretation of Lunar Lander. The Moon is now covered in new craters and hundreds of my frozen desiccated bodies.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll - Great fun, especially for you Dynasty Warriors fans out there.

3D Dot Game Heroes - Free-Roam Hack n' Slash. Closest comparison would be Legend of Zelda.

Outland - Hack n' Slash/Bullet Hell/Platformer. Great fun, this game.

Moon Diver - Extremely addicting side-scrolling Hack n' Slash Platformer.

White Knight Chronicles(II) - I don't know about unknown, but I see little love for this game. Great fun all the same.
+ for Outland.

Also would add 'Vagrant Story'. A great PS1 game back when Square Enix made good games.

herbortamus

Aug 25, 2011
Flower, Sun, and Rain for the DS. It was originally released for the PS1 in Japan, then later was ported to the DS in English. It's one of Suda 51's earlier games, so if you're a fan of his, you might like this.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Project Overkill, for the violently inclined, this obscure Konami game can be found on at least Playstation (though I dunno if it has any other ports), featuring an old-style overhead kill-everything gameplay in a science fiction world.

Extermination, for the horror-inclined, is an early PS2 game featuring an air-drop of you and your partner to a science facility studying unknown organisms that are slowly taking over the entire place and mutating everybody and everyTHING. Shitty Survival Horror dialogue, but a solid game.

Shadow Madness, for the RPG inclined. This Crave-produced RPG is both a fantasy and science-y unusual world where some sort of attack is actively driving people insane and creating monsters out of nowhere. Two discs, unique world, and the ability to actually dodge random encounters if you so desire.

Kadyaknight

Mar 2, 2010
A little old, but one of if not my favorite game of all time.
Beyond Oasis for the Sega Genesis.

Some of my other favorite, lesser known titles:
Dragon Valor (ps1)
Odin Sphere (ps2)
Riviera: The promised land (psp)
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 & 2 (GBA)
Resonance of Fate (ps3)

That's all I can grab of the top of my head.

Also +'s for Solatorobo, Outland, and WKC2.
Hope this helps :3

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, for the PS1 never got any love outside Japan.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1699/207239-picture_9_super.png

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
You want obscure? I've got obscure.
Live a live.
This is a SNES title only released in Japan, which has a fanmade English patch.
It's a Square RPG, which follows the stories of seven unique characters of different time periods and tropes, such as the Ninja, the Cowboy and the Robot, to mention a couple.
Combat takes place on a 7x7 grid, which is transitioned to from the the FFVI-esque overworld.
Combat is pseudo-turn based in that when you do something, like moving or attacking, the enemy does as well. It's difficult to explain, I'd recommend youtube-ing it.
What surprises me most is how good the stories are. Clichéd to be sure, but well-written, and the twist (you'll know it when you see it) is awesome.
Overall, comes highly recommended from me.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Keoul said:
THIS. It's the Yume Nikki sequel(ish thing) that the fanbase kind of forgot about.

Also, track down Gubble. It's a ton of fun.

Also, while Myst has a dedicated fanbase, everyone seems to have forgotten about Uru and Myst V, which were some of the best games in the series.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I think it's not that well known:
Cryostasis - Sleep of Reason
Great story, great atmosphere. It's a bit too linear maybe and it has quite a hardware-hunger, unfortunately, but otherwise I think it's a masterpiece.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
I guess this probably doesn't count as "obscure", per se, it has a solid fanbase, but I've never met a single person who's played Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (or "squadron leader" in Europe) for the PS2. It's just fantastic and probably my favorite game in the series. It has a long campaign (28 missions), TONS of unlockable jets, a great story, and an amazing soundtrack. The dialogue is really corny, but the rest of the game is so good you often don't realize how bad it is. I still play this game pretty often. Ace Combat 4 and Zero also come highly recommended. I can't vouch for 1-3 since I've never played them, and 6 is great but it's just not the same (although it does have my favorite soundtrack of the series.)