Obsidian Admits it Has a Bug Problem

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
McMullen said:
gmaverick019 said:
McMullen said:
Good that they admit it. Not sure it'll change much. I still don't understand why other companies trust them with their IP.

They either need to fix their problems or go away. There are many studios out there that are not known for making broken games, and those studios need to stay in business.
have you not played some of their games? kotor II blew the first one out of the water, and that one had near infinite success in the star wars universe

i would ALWAYS prefer a great game with a few bugs than have shitty shovel ware games that come out by the truckloads from other companies.
I wouldn't have even stopped to read the article had I not experienced their work directly. I don't think it's accurate to call the IP that Obsidian inherited from studios like Bioware and Bethesda shovelware. I also spent enough time modding Neverwinter Nights 2 - just to make it possible to bring up the world map so I could continue the game - to come to the conclusion that it was not a product made by people who value professionalism.
oh i'm not calling bioware/bethesda shovelware, far from it, i love their games, but what i meant by that statement was when you said "other companies" i was merely referring to alot of the companies out there that shoot out shovel ware year after year and have the casual person get suckered into buying them.

you had it that bad? that sucks, i put everything up to max except for the shadowing i believe, that was the one effect that screwed it all up otherwise i played that whole game without a single slip up, so i feel very sorry you weren't able to finish that awesome game (basically a more open world dragon age for its time imo)
I did finish it, I just had to figure out a way to get the map working in the areas where it didn't. Eventually modded in a spell that would bring up the map so I could actually leave places like Fort Locke and Port Llast. I would happily play it again for the game it was supposed to be; it's the bugs that make me hesitate.

This is why I wish someone besides Obsidian had made it. I am sure that there are far more studios out there that would have done it better than there are that would have done it worse. Obsidian needs to either learn to do its job correctly or let others do it, so that otherwise great games don't get tainted like this.

70R4N

Jan 14, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
zehydra said:
lobster1077 said:
zehydra said:
Well, I have never played an Obsidian game I liked, so bugs or not, it really won't make a difference for me. I didn't like Neverwinter Nights 2 or New Vegas (I prefer Bethesda's approach to rpgs)
Ah, I bet you're unaware that Bethesda developed Fallout 3, although it's pretty much the same as New Vegas, albeit less buggy and with a better setting.
No I like Fallout 3. I didn't like what Obsidian did with it.
Didn't like what they did with it? What they "did" was make it a proper sequel to Fallout 2.
Indeed. New Vegas is superior to Fallout 3 in every way (besides the bugs).
The most obvious thing they fixed was the dialog. THANK GOD they fixed the atrocious dialog of Fallout 3.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Bullshit. There is no way they are in any way working on fixing any of the problems. Not when they release a second patch to a game that causes the exact same issue the first patch they released caused. Dumb shits just don't learn.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I never really mind the bugs. Their writing and dialogue are on par with Valve, and far superior to that of Bioware, and that's what I love them for.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
I want to like Fallout: New Vegas. I just wish I didn't have to look up an anti-bug strategy guide for the game. I'm hoping that a new patch will come out that will do more than just modify some gun stats. I'm not picking up any more DLC for NV until they fix the game. Here's to Skyrim being mostly bug free on release day. If it is, I'll buy that game's horse armor. Pinkie Pie swear, Bethesda.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Earlier today I went back and played a module I downloaded for Neverwinter Nights 2. And not long before that playing Knights of the Old Republic 2 again. And Fallout: New Vegas.

I thought to myself "Fuck, Obsidian sure does let a lot of bugs through and then just leaves them."

I'm no expert but I always get the impression their loading of savegames/areas/levels/whatever in their games isn't very optimized/efficient. It seems to take longer than it should. And even when you go back and play older games that you now easily decimate the system requirements it can still be an issue.

Just like I think the sound system in the Source Engine is screwy, or Relic Entertainment's networking.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Many of the bugs in New Vegas, to me, smacked of poor playtesting. I mean seriously having a bug that crashes main story line quests areas if you dont have the right fucking hat on...jesus. There is a reason why I will wait to buy any more obsidian fallout games until 6 months after release, maybe by then they will be playable.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Ha ha ha ha ha oh... he he he he he he! Ha ha ha *Holds up finger*

I'll believe it when I see it guys.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The first step is admitting it, of course.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that they have survived this long and that they still have a dedicated following. The number of bugs, glitches, and technical problems within all of their games is nothing short of phenomenal. One or two games, I can understand, but Obsidian has consistently glitchy game, after buggy game, after crash-happy game. It takes real dedication to provide that much shit.

The fact that some people still defend them, going "Oh, they didn't have enough time!" or "They were working on unfamiliar technology!" or "Developing a bug-free game is hard!" is, to be frank, pretty pathetic. There's no excuse for the number of bugs and crap going into all of their games, from unfinishable quests to destroying save files. No other bigger-named developer gets away with that, there's simply no excuse.

Okay, okay, I'm coming off as overly harsh, but I do want Obsidian to do better. Their games are good, they had some neat ideas with Alpha Protocol, but for god's sake their QA team must be made of a half-dead goldfish and a sandwich.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
A game company admits that their "reputation as a "buggy" developer was fair"?

Wow, that really is a first.