Obsidian Delays Pillars of Eternity

Apr 5, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I'd rather they get it done right than stay exactly true to their release timeline... this is Obsidian we're talking about afterall... the more QA the better.
I couldn't agree more. I don't care if the game takes another year till it's ready, budget allowing. I'd rather play a finished, polished and thoroughly tested game later, than a mistake-ridden one early. The more polish and attention to detail, the better.

I was one of the earlier backers and am greatly looking forward to an honest PC RPG without any concessions made for consoles. I will gladly back most games in the space, RPG, sci-fi type categories if they're made for PCs since the triple A market doesn't cater to me any more.

That's not to say I'm willing to wait for all games. Cyberpunk 2077 from CD Project...that I want to play NOW. I don't care how incomplete or buggy it is or what it costs me, I just want it today!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
*reads headline* Oh no.. pillars of eternity won't meet its... *reads further* April.. deadline?

*looks at calendar* Alright obsidian, thanks for the monumental headsup :p Take all the time you need to get it right.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
this is Obsidian we're talking about afterall... the more QA the better.
Nail'd it. I rather not need a fanpatch just to open the executable (glares at New Vegas).

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
toms said:
Meh, I'm not even keeping track of that. Just send me a download link wen you're done.
Butt why the flamberge would you want to play a beta of a single-player story-driven RPG?
Same reason that Demos used to be a thing? Get a taste of what's to come?

Mooboo Magoo

Aug 22, 2011
If video game history has taught me anything it is that you do not rush Obsidian. Part of the reason I backed this project was to see what they were capable of without having their work rushed. As far as I'm concerned the longer this takes to come out the better.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Same reason that Demos used to be a thing? Get a taste of what's to come?

But those who get into beta have already paid for the game.
Well, whatever floats your boat. I'm just going to wait for the final product and hope it's worth the wait.
(Knowing Obsidian, I'll have to wait for another year until a community patch is out.)

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
obsidian can feel free to take extra time they need. If the past has taught anything it's you don't rush an obsidian games unless you want them to release a buggy mess that requires mods to fix major problems.
This is coming from someone who has 2 obsidian games(kotor 2 and fallout new vegas) in his favorite game list.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
And so it had begun. The usual Obsidian story:
First delay it as long as possible then when you are out of money release it in whatever state it is in. Only this time no publisher to blame for their incompetence in planning. Oh I will enjoy the drama.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Ishigami said:
First delay it as long as possible then when you are out of money release it in whatever state it is in. Only this time no publisher to blame for their incompetence in planning. Oh I will enjoy the drama.
They have had a bad rap in the past, but no longer they got publishers breathing down their necks.

If I recall correctly then they only finished their kickstarter in October of 2012 so it's barely a year and a few months to shell out a game out the door seems very little for me.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one and I hope they just take their time and get the QA done properly so the game doesn't break.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
DarkhoIlow said:
They have had a bad rap in the past, but no longer they got publishers breathing down their necks.
Which, I dare reminding everyone, had every other developer as well.
Obsidian, just like Creative Assembly for that matter, managed to stay in high regards with players despite their very poor track record when it comes to quality in terms of a ?functional product?.
I believe this due to people wrongfully loving their ideas/concepts more than they should mind the piss poor executions of it.
Either way like I said this time they can?t go around blaming a publisher.

Artea

Jul 9, 2013
Ishigami said:
What on earth are you talking about? It takes time to make complex RPG's - Dragon Age Origins and Fallout 3 for example were in development for 4-5 years. This news is a good sign. This is the first time Obsidian haven't had a publisher breathing down their neck to deliver an RPG against impossible deadlines.

And they already delivered a polished amd bug-free product with Dungeon Siege III.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Ishigami said:
DarkhoIlow said:
Which, I dare reminding everyone, had every other developer as well.
Obsidian, just like Creative Assembly for that matter, managed to stay in high regards with players despite their very poor track record when it comes to quality in terms of a ?functional product?.
I believe this due to people wrongfully loving their ideas/concepts more than they should mind the piss poor executions of it.
Either way like I said this time they can?t go around blaming a publisher.
Except they didnt have Lucasarts breathing down their neck to finish a sequel to a game within a year to meet a christmas release and when Obsidian offered to release post-launch updates to finish the game, Lucasarts said no. Kotor 2 being a mess? Thats because of Lucasarts. Or how about that New Vegas? I wonder who did the QA for that, was it Obsidian? Nope, that was Bethesda, a massive bug in one of the DLC's, Old World Blues (the brain dialogue which loops endlessly) is due to bethesda literally fucking up the code. Assign blame where it is due, you can argue that Obsidian isnt that good on a technical level, you can argue that they dont work well under pressure, but laying the fault of other companies shit at their feet? Yeah no, thats not how it works.

But seriously, they say they delay it so they can polish it, and people *****...what the hell? First everyone bitches at them because they have to kick the product out the door because of deadlines and now they can set their own and actually polish the game as much as possible..and people still *****. Some people cant be pleased, huh?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Well if it gives Obsidian more time to polish, or even just put in more features im more than happy for them to take their time. I cant wait for this game but I'l take it when it comes out.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
A-D. said:
Except they didnt have Lucasarts breathing down their neck to finish a sequel to a game within a year to meet a christmas release and when Obsidian offered to release post-launch updates to finish the game, Lucasarts said no. Kotor 2 being a mess? Thats because of Lucasarts. Or how about that New Vegas? I wonder who did the QA for that, was it Obsidian?
BioWare worked for LucasArts and SW:KotOR turned out okay.
But I guess Microsoft and Sega suck just as much as Bethesda when it comes to QA, right?
You trust them despite their track record I don't trust them because of it.

A-D. said:
But seriously, they say they delay it so they can polish it, and people *****...what the hell? First everyone bitches at them because they have to kick the product out the door because of deadlines and now they can set their own and actually polish the game as much as possible..and people still *****. Some people cant be pleased, huh?
I'm not bitching about anything. I'm not into this game because of Obsidian. Just pointing out that so far it goes as i guessed it would go.

Artea

Jul 9, 2013
Ishigami said:
A-D. said:
Except they didnt have Lucasarts breathing down their neck to finish a sequel to a game within a year to meet a christmas release and when Obsidian offered to release post-launch updates to finish the game, Lucasarts said no. Kotor 2 being a mess? Thats because of Lucasarts. Or how about that New Vegas? I wonder who did the QA for that, was it Obsidian?
You do realize that one of the reasons Bioware turned down the offer to make Kotor 2 was because of the short development time LucasArts proposed, right? And after Obsidian started working on the game, it was cut with another 6 months. Obsidian never had the success of Bioware and therefore has never been in a position where they could negotiate a decent contract for themselves.

That video is filled with inaccuracies and flat-out lies, by the way.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
News at eleven, Obsidian got overly ambitious for the timeframe. Which is totally a good thing, since I already have Dragonfall for March and need to at least try to limit big games.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Ishigami said:
A-D. said:
But I guess Microsoft and Sega suck just as much as Bethesda when it comes to QA, right?
You trust them despite their track record I don't trust them because of it.

A-D. said:
I'm not bitching about anything. I'm not into this game because of Obsidian. Just pointing out that so far it goes as i guessed it would go.
Kotor was in development for how long? 2 to 3 years. Kotor 2 was in development for how long? About a year, consider the Xbox version was released on December 6th 2004, Kotor 1 was released in 2003, AFTER it had been delayed by Bioware. When Obsidian then offered to actually finish the game post-launch, FOR FREE, Lucasarts declined. Alpha Protocol? Was announced in 2009, with a projected release date of 2010, but it was ultimately delayed to 2011. So that gives us about 2 to 3 years of development, 4 at the very most. And it was playable, it was kinda glitchy in some parts, but it was perfectly playable, how do i know? I played it through completely. I cant make any argument for Dungeon Siege 3 since i havent played it, but i sincerely doubt it was a massive disaster as many like to claim.

Further, New Vegas? Gamebryo engine, with QA done by Bethesda. Bethesda gave them the engine AND did the QA for an engine they themselves used and still use, yes Creation Engine is a advanced gamebryo engine. So who is incompetent, the guys who are told which engine to use, or the guys who used the engine, provided the engine AND know how it works, yet utterly fail to test and fix anything, in part bugs that were present in Fallout 3 upon release, which might i point out was in a far more terrible state.

Now onto the Video, well the parts i havent covered yet, is this supposed to be as insulting as it comes across or does this guy actually think people are this stupid? Games being fixed post-launch? Well, i have never. And only on PCs? Wow, that guy must be living in the past where Xbox 360 and PS3 and now next-gen consoles dont exist. How about Bethesda's latest, Skyrim? Anyone remember the massive problems, including inability to actually release DLC on the PS3? How about Dragons flying backwards, or any other assortment of bugs, some of which are STILL not fixed, such as the Giant critical hit bug which sends you flying, because bethesda thought it was funny. There is a company that will NOT fix a bug because "its funny". And the Community fixing up games, hrm..Dark Souls would be a big contender, any Elder Scrolls since Morrowind, the list goes on.

But yes, only Obsidian does this, except pretty much every other company on the planet, including top dogs such as EA and Blizzard and..well honestly, i cant remember a game in the last 10 years that did not require at least 2 bugfix patches to iron out the most critical problems. If you want a bug-ridden mess, go look at Gothic 3, that was a travesty.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Obsidian knows how much time they got for the projects when they got the offers. It is their fault not knowing that they can?t deliver it time.
For you guys Obsidian is always in the right no matter what. For me they are the only consistency in these messes so it really doesn't matter what excuses you guys come up with.

After all everyone who disagrees just tells "flat-out lies"...

Obsidian never had the sucess of BioWare thats rigt... they never had their quality as well. I rest my case, time will tell.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Facts are excuses, you heard it here first. Passive-Aggressive is the first sign of someone running out of arguments to make their case. Misrepresenting facts knowingly or unknowingly is still lying, the guy in the video got his facts wrong, whether on purpose or by accident is irrelevant, the outcome is that it is wrong. Disproving someone's pointless, factually incorrect rant is not even making excuses, its setting the record straight. Its painfully obvious that Obsidian games have issues, but which games dont? Bethesda releases generally bug-ridden messes that have become accepted at this point, ever since Daggerfall, or "Buggerfall", each Elder Scrolls had bugs, instabilities and other issues, yet nobody gives them flak for this, on the other hand Obsidian gets regularly bitched at because they have similar bugs, even when they have less bugs in comparison. Direct example, New Vegas had less bugs than Fallout 3 at release.

So why is it okay to excuse this for bigger, or more popular devs? Who is making excuses really? Either you drop the double standard, or you just dont bother even commenting, because you simply prove that your reasoning is inherently biased.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
I'd rather they get it done right than stay exactly true to their release timeline... this is Obsidian we're talking about afterall... the more QA the better.
This, exactly this. I would rather wait for a game to be done right than see it rushed out.