Obsidian Entertainment Hit With Layoffs

beema

Aug 19, 2009
This is sad. New Vegas was easily my favorite game of the year, despite the bugs.

Wonder what this means for New Vegas DLC?

Turio

Jan 24, 2011
Uhm, I'm not sure you people know exactly how Obsidians independency work. They were payed during development. They saw NOTHING of the sales aside maybe from some small royalities based on how much the game sold/how high metacritic scores were.

It could just be that a publisher cancelled a project or they couldn't make a deal for another new project.

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
I paid 60 bones for the "beta" version of New Vegas. With all of the glitches and issues with the game that proved they halfassed it, I think they got what they deserved.

If you can't do your job, you should quit while you are ahead.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
I'm absolutely baffled. Despite the bugs, New Vegas was a great game! It would suck to put so much into these games and then find yourself slapped in the face with a lay off despite the game doing better than its predecessor.
I thought it made quite a bit of money. I could see this if it didn't (maybe they were expecting more?). This just confuses me too.

Turio

Jan 24, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
I'm absolutely baffled. Despite the bugs, New Vegas was a great game! It would suck to put so much into these games and then find yourself slapped in the face with a lay off despite the game doing better than its predecessor.
I thought it made quite a bit of money. I could see this if it didn't (maybe they were expecting more?). This just confuses me too.
Post 23

Basically. They saw nothing of New Vegas Sales or only a small amount.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Aw, man, this sucks for them. They were some of my favorite Devs. I loved Neverwinter Nights 2.
I am likely going to buy New Vegas when it comes out with the GotY ed, though, as I don't like the hassle of DLC on its own.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Black Watch said:
I paid 60 bones for the "beta" version of New Vegas. With all of the glitches and issues with the game that proved they halfassed it, I think they got what they deserved.

Don't praise good people losing their jobs. The game industry is a harsh place to work in and it isn't easy finding a new job on short notice.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
That sucks for Obsidian. For the record, New Vegas was personal favorite game last year and I do consider Obsidian to be one of the better developers out there, even with their games general bugginess.

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
Jonci said:
Black Watch said:

Don't praise good people losing their jobs. The game industry is a harsh place to work in and it isn't easy finding a new job on short notice.
It maybe a harsh place to work, but that doesn't give you the excuse to sell an unfinished game. The last few games they released was riddled with bugs that could of been eliminated by simply hiring the people to test the game out. They didn't do it, and they could have.

Bottom line, they got what they deserved.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well thats a damned shame; I wish those who lost their jobs the best of luck getting new ones; also I loved New Vegas since apparently thats the thread topic now too.

Love them as developers hope all lost land on their feet

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Since Obsidian released the two best games of last year, this really sucks to see. I hope it isn't the start of Obsidian vanishing completely. I don't know if I could take another of my favourite developers shutting down. I still miss Troika. =(

Turio

Jan 24, 2011
Black Watch said:
Jonci said:
Black Watch said:

It maybe a harsh place to work, but that doesn't give you the excuse to sell an unfinished game. The last few games they released was riddled with bugs that could of been eliminated by simply hiring the people to test the game out. They didn't do it, and they could have.

? No, they couldn't?

Do you have any idea how the game industry works?`Do you believe moneys just laying out on the street? They have a QA Department. Doesn't mean its big or they could financally justify to have it big.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Alpha protocol probably more to blame than anything else for the current situation.
The blame of which lies on reviewers who were way too harsh on a game (at least on PC, perhaps the console versions were buggier or sth) that did something exceptionally right (and quite innovative) while being all around fun :(

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Alpha protocol probably more to blame than anything else for the current situation.
Despite its flaws (Such as being absolute ass) alpha protcal actually sold pretty well.

http://www.destructoid.com/alpha-protocol-manages-sell-700k-in-spite-of-itself-180305.phtml

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Black Watch said:
Jonci said:
Black Watch said:

Do you think the majority of those people listed had a choice in the matter? Developers working for a publisher rarely are afforded the luxury of choosing a release date, much less the budget for any part of the team. They weren't happy with the bugs either and were working on them through development and after release. They had to keep burning the hours working for months after release and now some of them are thanked by being laid off.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
HankMan said:
It seems that their careers have run into a glitch
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! [http://people.rit.edu/~bss6378/instantCSI/]

[hr/]

I'm confused by this move. Additionally, if they stop updating New Vegas, then they can expect a boycott.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I'm not usually one for schadenfreude but I really hope the morons who made the ps3 version of FNV got fired. They deserve it.
That thing was a travesty and even the latest patch adds all new bugs... just for the ps3 version.