Obsidian's Project Eternity Hits $1.4 Million in Three Days

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
This sounds good, I am really interested in this project, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

OT:

therandombear said:
If only the new Broken Sword game kickstarter got this much money....Oh well, I pledged $35 to this project, contributing with something at least.

[sub]Would've done more, but kinda pleded a lot more towards Broken Sword xd[/sub]
You know I found out about this kickstarter only today thanks to this post? Damn, I wish I had some money left to donate for it! Well, at least they already reached their goal, and it's not like the development for the game is strictly related to the success of the kickstarter, right?

P.s. Although the trailer left me kind of confused, the 4th game ended in what was a cliffhanger more or less, but nothing seems to indicate this one will continue from where the previous left.

Edit: Well it wasn't exactly a "cliffhanger" but that was kind of weird, anyway, if you get what I mean.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
nikki191 said:
It will be interesting to see what Obsidian can pull out after being unshackled from publishers
This. A thousand times this. As I understand it, most of the bugs/problems with Obsidian's games in recent years have been because of publishers messing with design in the late stages of development. Now Obsidian will have full control.

I've given money to Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns before and now this one. Of those four, this one is EASILY the one I'm the most excited for. I don't like real time strategy games, but if I did I imagine that I would've given money to Planetary Annihilation. Overall, I think this Kickstarter trend will show itself to be the beginning of a new era in game development. The players get what they really want, which obviously coincides with what the developers want to create, and all of this is unshackled from publishers. No more development driven by focus groups, etc. I love it!

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
cursedseishi said:
BrotherRool said:
No that's the point! The version at the moment is a Steam version, which is automatically DRMed. They're thinking about a way to release the game not on steam so it won't have DRM. It's only the fact that it's on Steam that gives it DRM
teh_gunslinger said:
Well, so far Steam is the DRM. As long as the game only has a Steam release it's loaded with DRM.

One solution would be to release it via gog.com (or GamersGate I guess) as a DRM free version. That way the people who, for whatever twisted reasons, refuse to buy other places than Steam, can get it there and the rest of us can get it on gog.com.
As far as DRM goes, Steam is pretty damn friendly. Besides, if yall ever bothered to try and look through some of the games, Steam isn't the actual DRM with them. Borderlands DLC on there, as well as some Warhammer titles and Dark Souls, are loaded down with Securom or Games for Windows Live.

But hey, since you all want to bag on Steam, might as well just contact Ubisoft and see if they don't mind handling the game, maybe put a 1-use only, Always-Online DRM requirement on there.
As far as DRM goes Steam is among the most heavy. It requires a client running all the time. Few others do that, save, as you mention, Ubisoft and in one case, Origin.

As far as Securom, TAGES and what else get slapped on Steam games aside from Steam itself, that's just terrible and it should be outlawed by being fired into the Sun.

And even so, a game bought on Steam does not run if Steam is not open. That's pretty heavy handed DRM.

I've got 278 games on Steam so I don't really have huge issues with it, but I do prefer to buy my games other places if I have a choice. Otherwise I wait for a 50-75% off as compensation for the DRM. I only by full priced games if I can get them with no DRM.

All that said, claiming that at least Steam isn't as bad as GFWL is hardly glowing praise. That's like saying getting shot in the foot is better than getting hit by a train. It objectively is, but I'd rather experience neither, given the choice.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
eltonborges said:
In fact, that was a bad surprise. Right now, the project will have DRM, and for what reason? DRM for the ones who are paying for it to even exist? When the game reach Steam and Desura it will have DRM, but consider it right now shows that they really think Kickstarter is only a way to get the money, they are not thinking about it as a new way to build a game and interact with the public interested. The game is already funded, but until I'm pretty sure it will be DRM-Free, I will not put my money in there. If I have to have DRM, I will wait for the Steam/Desura version.
Just got an email update regarding this. They said they are looking into a DRM-free release.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
mdqp said:
OT:

therandombear said:
If only the new Broken Sword game kickstarter got this much money....Oh well, I pledged $35 to this project, contributing with something at least.

[sub]Would've done more, but kinda pleded a lot more towards Broken Sword xd[/sub]
You know I found out about this kickstarter only today thanks to this post? Damn, I wish I had some money left to donate for it! Well, at least they already reached their goal, and it's not like the development for the game is strictly related to the success of the kickstarter, right?
Ye, glad they reached their goal. Though I do hope the reach the next stretch goal at 650K. Exotic locations are always nice, loved that in Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror. ^^

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Just. Take. Your. Time. Obsidian. Work to Valve time if you have to, just don't rush it out before it is finished. We, the backers, will wait for quality.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
cursedseishi said:
As far as DRM goes, Steam is pretty damn friendly. Besides, if yall ever bothered to try and look through some of the games, Steam isn't the actual DRM with them. Borderlands DLC on there, as well as some Warhammer titles and Dark Souls, are loaded down with Securom or Games for Windows Live.

But hey, since you all want to bag on Steam, might as well just contact Ubisoft and see if they don't mind handling the game, maybe put a 1-use only, Always-Online DRM requirement on there.
Steam is an automatic form of DRM, the whole process of steam is focring a check on whether you own your copy or not. I'm not bagging on steam, I'm not hugely anti -DRM. I'm just saying that factually all Steam games are DRMed because Steam is DRM and I'm pretty sure when Obsidian are referring to releasing a DRM free game, they mean one that doesn't have DRM because it's not on Steam

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I would be more interested if it weren't isometric, the absolute worst camera scheme in any form of media ever.

Of course, I'm probably alone in thinking this, considering how popular games like X-Com and the original Fallouts are.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Obsidian: Unchained and kicking!

I just couldn't get this thought out of my head after reading some comments.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
And even so, a game bought on Steam does not run if Steam is not open. That's pretty heavy handed DRM.
That's only mostly true. I have a similar number of games on Steam, and while most of them do require Steam to be running for them to work (even if just in offline mode), there are some that don't need Steam at all other than to download the files. All of the Arcen games (e.g. AI War, A Valley Without Wind), for example, will run without Steam, and the serial number you get with the Steam version will even activate a copy you download off the dev's site too. That said, games like that are exceptions, and it's easier to find games from major publishers that have third-party DRM tacked on in addition to Steam than to find games that will run without Steam.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
Dammit I want to give them money but only if I can buy it away from Steam.

No offence to Steam I just know that if I approach that beast it will enslave me with the burdening shackles of availability.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
teh_gunslinger said:
That's only mostly true. I have a similar number of games on Steam, and while most of them do require Steam to be running for them to work (even if just in offline mode), there are some that don't need Steam at all other than to download the files. All of the Arcen games (e.g. AI War, A Valley Without Wind), for example, will run without Steam, and the serial number you get with the Steam version will even activate a copy you download off the dev's site too. That said, games like that are exceptions, and it's easier to find games from major publishers that have third-party DRM tacked on in addition to Steam than to find games that will run without Steam.
You're right, of course. I have a scant few of them myself. Crusader Kings 2 can run without Steam as well I think (though I don't know. I bought the GamersGate version myself).

But I think the number is sufficiently small as to not make a big difference in my argument overall.

I think Skyrim could as well at first but they patched that out fast (and Bethesda being Bethesda, introduced some more bugs).

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Timothy Chang said:
Already pledged for my digital copy. This thing looks awesome - glad to have supported it!

Here's hoping they make WAY more than their goal. I'd love to see this thing break all of Kickstarter's records.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
teh_gunslinger said:
You're right, of course. I have a scant few of them myself. Crusader Kings 2 can run without Steam as well I think (though I don't know. I bought the GamersGate version myself).

But I think the number is sufficiently small as to not make a big difference in my argument overall.

I think Skyrim could as well at first but they patched that out fast (and Bethesda being Bethesda, introduced some more bugs).
Yeah, and I agree with you and consider it DRM too. Fairly tolerable, as things go, but there's a reason I don't buy anything on there with additional third-party DRM and only get stuff when it's marked waaaaay down.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Nimcha said:
Isometric, really? Well, as long as it keeps all the nostalgia fans happy I'm all for it. Maybe they'll stop complaining about modern RPGs.
Modern 3D RPG's are fine, but as this kickstarter shows there's still a market and money to be made from people who liked those old isometric RPG's.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
cursedseishi said:
I wasn't saying Steam isn't DRM, in fact I said exactly that. I only said that Steam isn't the primary source of DRM on some of the titles that are currently being sold through Steam, with all the ones I'm aware of listed in my post. Steam is both a distribution platform and DRM, but as far as DRM goes its not the most heavy-handed, or obtrusive, or clunky like Securom, Games For Windows, or Ubisofts Always-On could be.
Yeah Steams pretty good. I'm not a huge fan, because it screws up Bastion for me whenever I try to start it up and it was also much harder to play when my internet went down than I'd expected it to be (the first time, for some reason the second time seemed to go without a hitch). I'm not a Steam regular and was only using it to save the Humble Bundle people some bandspace, but it doesn't seem bad. All i was trying to say is that people are treating this DRM business like Obsidian are putting Securom in their game, but I think all it is is that they're trying to distribute through Steam and so when people ask for a DRM free version, they're looking for some non-Steam alternatives ( i think)