'Obsolete' technology that you remember using.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
VCR, Cassettes, Floppy Disks, Windows 95/98, Dial Up

kkkkrsssshheeeeeeeeeiiooooooookkkk, you have connected. I both loved and hated that noise.

Ulfrick

Oct 14, 2010
No internet, dial up internet, floppy disks that where actually floppy, dos gaming being pretty cool shit, cell phones so large they doubled as self defense devices, the original nintendo, sega producing consoles that actually sold well, televisions that only got 4 channels and you had to turn the dial manually to turn them on/off/change channel, vhs, vhs rewinding machines. cassette tapes, fully text based games, damn i'm starting to feel old now.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
geon106 said:
Zorg Machine said:
floppy disks, VHS and 2D TV

2D TV? I still have 2DTV, and its only in HDTV...its such old tech now :( lol
It was a joke =P
Blu ray is so obsolete that red rey is obsolete before it has even been developed. The future lies in green ray.

3D is also obsolete. 4D is the way of the future.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
A PC CD-ROM drive with a caddy.

http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/cdcaddy.jpg

They actually recommended getting multiple caddies to let the CDs you used often have their own, exclusive caddies, mostly because caddies were pretty hard to open.

Seriously, caddies were bullshit.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
cassette tapes :D also VHS and Windows 95 :p
and let's not forget floppy disks
also...PEN AND PAPER! XD

Schmeev

Oct 13, 2010
Oh, the glory days. Loading up some good ol' Windows 95 only to restart it in DOS so I could play some Spycraft or Duke Nukem 3D or...WOLFENSTEIN 3D. Anyone else remember those games that actually made learning fun in an unexplainable way? Math (or any other Gen. Ed. subject) Blaster, anyone? I'll be finding all those again today, I think. VCR's, CD players with ANTISKIP (or ESP, as the busted one I have calls it), CRT monitors, mom and dad yelling at you for being on the internet when they tried to call, those PS1 demo discs with awesome games you may never end up playing but are still in awe of, everyone else having XP while you still have '95, playing Oregon trail in library class (yes, our school had a library "class") either on the '98 computer or text-graphic hybrid on the Apple thing.

Strangely enough, for what we think of the older generation holding on to the past, I'm sure we'll be (or already are) doing the same thing. I'm still trying to get my old as hell games to run somehow, because I feel like I've lost a wonderful part of my past when they stopped being compatible.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
The first computer I ever messed around on was at my grandparents house, it was a Tandy and the screen was orange all the time. It did play Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator though, I just had to pretend it was always some weird kind of night mission with orange vision goggles.

The second computer I messed around on was a Wang and it was all green instead of orange. It could play five card draw poker.

Everybody is talking about obsolete stuff like the VCR that was at one time useful, but did anybody know a person who got a Beta Max? That is some obsolete ass technology.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Aptspire said:
cassette tapes :D also VHS and Windows 95 :p
and let's not forget floppy disks
also...PEN AND PAPER! XD
Windows 95! Ha!

I once pulled one of the Molex connector pins out of a hard drive because I had to change which hard drive I was using to go between Windows 95 and Windows 3.1/DOS.

Ah, the joys of growing up with computers.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Random mid-late 80's tech, even though I grew up in the 90's. Our family was always a bit technology-retarded and we lagged behind quite a bit.
FreelanceButler said:
I remember in primary school when we had an IT lesson where we got to put in, save to, then take out...
Floppy discs!
I can still barely comprehend that my sister's SD card, one little plastic card about 1 cm in width and length, can contain 4.000 floppy discs!!!

It boggles my mind.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Schmeev said:
Anyone else remember those games that actually made learning fun in an unexplainable way? Math (or any other Gen. Ed. subject) Blaster, anyone?
You mean, like....

SUPER MUNCHERS!?

http://www.myabandonware.com/media/captures/S/super-munchers-the-challenge-continues/super-munchers-the-challenge-continues_1.gif

Awesome.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
- VHS
- Casette Decks
- Atari 2600 Console
- C64 with Datasette, 5 1/4 Floppy, Monitor, Printer and misc Competition Pro Joysticks. Also some old and really inaccurate lightpen for the same machine
- Amiga with misc stuff
- DOUBLE SPEED CD-ROM DRIVE! :p
- 14kbps dialup modem (thats about 1kb/sec for those who dont know :)

I as a child probably used some other "interesting" household stuff too, but i cannot remember something specific right now.

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
Well... VHS(which still sees use), cassette-tapes, Windows from 3.1 and up... Also my favourite camera is almost 40 years old.
Most obsolete thing I remember and I deffinetly remember being glad that it's obsolete:
Dial-up modems.
Yeah...Anyone who doesn't remember those should try one and then rejoice at broadband technology as if it was the second coming.

ephesus64

Sep 16, 2010
I actually had a VIC-20 before I had a Commodore 64. I only had a couple of games for it--one was Asteroids and Meteoroids, and I was scared of the black holes that appeared if I lived long enough.

I had an IBM PS/2 for a while, the old white 386 ones with the proprietary system architecture. Those were the systems that also originated the PS/2 connectors for mice and keyboards (which are now also obsolete). It was too slow to run Doom.

Also, for most of my early childhood, the household television had a UHF dial. That was just because my parents were too cheap to buy a new TV when the old one was still working, though. There was a phone with a rotary dial in the back room for the same reason.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
J03bot said:
8bitmaster said:
a computer with windows 98. Good times, when the best game out there was doom 2. Ah good stuff.
98? You young whippersnappers don't know what obsolete technology is! Back in my day, we had 95, and we were lucky if we could get any game more complicated than solitaire! (Actually, there was Chip's challenge, which was awesome!)

What else? The original game boy, the sega game gear (got it for 50p in a car boot sale), VHS tapes (which I still use, if only to watch Star Wars), 3 1/2 inch floppy disks....

How, at 20 years old, has so much technology from my childhood become so horrendously dated?
95? You space age magicician!
I had a 93. First console was an NES.
I still own a 93 flight stick I used to use to play the first Combat Flight Simulator WWII edition. In fact, it's installed on my laptop ^^
Also, more recently, the EyeToy

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Daniel Laeben-Rosen said:
Yeah...Anyone who doesn't remember those should try one and then rejoice at broadband technology as if it was the second coming.
Actually, websites back then loaded about as fast, as nowadays websites (without certain "filters") load.... similiar to OSes not becoming faster ever. Any new ressources that open up are only there for humans to be more wasteful (yeah, i know, there are some nice things done, but the overall trend is to waste most of the available ressources).

Quartz_Dragon

Oct 6, 2010
- phonograph console with a reel-to-reel recorder and multi-band radio built in
- 8-track tapes
- cassette decks for computer program storage
- floppy disks of various sizes (3.5", 5.25" AND 8" disks)
- dial up BBS systems that I connected to at a screaming speed of 1200 baud thanks to my dedicated external modem (which was four times as fast as my friend's 300 baud acoustic coupler modem)
- DOS 3.3, OS/2 version 2 and Atari TOS 1.0

gah...
so old.

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
Lyx said:
Actually, websites back then loaded about as fast, as nowadays websites (without certain "filters") load.... similiar to OSes not becoming faster ever. Any new ressources that open up are only there for humans to be more wasteful (yeah, i know, there are some nice things done, but the overall trend is to waste most of the available ressources).
I know that, doesn't mean I miss the damn things for a second.
Glitchy, noisy, phone-hogging pieces of wasted plastic that they were. Not to mention expensive. Did I mention noisy?
Y'know, NOT hearing that ear-splitting shriek any time I feel like checking my email or spend a few on MSN is awesome.
I just really hate dialups.