Oculus Names Former EA Exec as Head of Worldwide Publishing

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Objectable said:
I can't wait to use the Rift's predecessor. It really is an underated gem.
http://games.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/virtualboy-article_image_combined_600.jpg
If you want to use a technology's early predecessor instead of it's first actually functioning prototype, you had it coming for not recognizing it's potential applications.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Dr.Awkward said:
And there's the problem. It's not the guy they hired, it's the attitude EA put into his mind. He wants to take it much farther than where it can go right now, and he doesn't seem to understand that maybe staying small means keeping better focus of the intention.

Someone needs to give a firm whack on the side of the head and tell him the EA philosophy isn't Oculus's, or else he's going to find himself looking for another job soon enough, not understanding what happened with the last one.
The VR cinema was literally one of the first applications for the Rift, and even at E3, Palmer has been talking about possible educational and scientific applications, and even in terms of gaming it was all about getting as much support as possible, make gaming be developed around it, instead of keeping it on the sidelines as an alternate way through which to view FPSes and simulators.

Someone DOES need a firm whack on the side of the head and told that his philosophy isn't Oculus's, but it sure as hell isn't this guy.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
as much as people might hate it, this guys sounds like he knows his shit. you don't do 7 years in the partner prgram for EA without making contacts and right now thats what the OR needs.

when they launch they need some big draw cards, something to stop the wii U effect. Getting something like ARMA 3 onboard, get Dayz at the same time (BIS) then get a racing game and maybe some of the larger EA titles like battlefront.

mkae this the go to product for the ultimate ingame experince, and price it well and you don't lanuch dead. also get in touch with egale dynamics and get DCS to have a real intergration

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
SourMilk said:
Except, except that it was virtual reality given the technological limitations and design flaws at that time. The aims and goals are no different since then and the way things are now. This is more marketing bullshit just from people instead.
There WERE actual VR prototypes at that time, with head tracking, and color screens, and wider FoV. They were expensive as hell, headache inducing, and with incredibly low graphical fidelity, but they had the "aims and goals" of the VR concept.

The Virtual Boy on the other hand might have been a HMD, but it's modern they equivalent wouldn't be the Oculust Rift, but the Sony HMZ Personal Viewer. A portable HD screen viewer, with low FoV and no head tracking, that gives the impression of a 3D TV screen fixed to your head, surrounded by a black void, just as the Virtual Boy gave the impression of a stereoscopic Gameboy screen fixed to your head.

holyshaman

May 19, 2013
Credossuck said:
Why not focus on making them lightweight and comfortable to wear.
How about that. Yes? And why mobile devices? I am not gonna wear that stuff in public.
I would use it at home, to play games on a powerful rig. With proper controls.
And i will watch films at home. . .

So. . . lightweigght and comfortable. . .

And what about people with glasses?

Marketing is the smallest concern here. . .
if you are short sighted like me it should not be the biggest problem but far sightet is gonna be much worse

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
BlameTheWizards said:
While not all of the financial details of Oculus publishing are clear yet, DeMartini said that there is room for things such as platform exclusivity.
...and boom goes the dynamite. Oculus has it going strong right now, but forcing exclusives is just a really crappy thing, and why PC (lets not forget Oculus is just a PC peripheral) has such a strong following and gaming library.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
This is probably a mixed blessing. deMartini's contacts will without doubt be beneficial to getting developers on board with making games that support Rift, which is crucial for preventing it from flopping. Then again he seems to be very keen on making the Rift into more than it can be. Cinema? Educational programs? I guess there is nothing wrong with making it usable in other areas than gaming, but I hope they will not forget its original purpose.

MetaMorlock

Jul 15, 2013
TiberiusEsuriens said:
BlameTheWizards said:
While not all of the financial details of Oculus publishing are clear yet, DeMartini said that there is room for things such as platform exclusivity.
...and boom goes the dynamite. Oculus has it going strong right now, but forcing exclusives is just a really crappy thing, and why PC (lets not forget Oculus is just a PC peripheral) has such a strong following and gaming library.
Exactly.

When I heard "former EA exec" my heart sank, but I read on optimistically. Then out came the words "platform exclusivity" and my worst fears were confirmed. Oculus have been incredibly open and sharing about every aspect of their development - arguably too open from a business point of view, but it's exactly that kind of transparency we want from a company. The EA philosophy is the opposite of that, it is closed and controlling, so I hope to God that Oculus keep him on a short leash. Use his business contacts and then send him on holiday.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
BlameTheWizards said:
Personally I don't see how they can force and/or get away with exclusivity. Like you said, it's just a PC peripheral. Are they saying they will make games that can only be played with the peripheral? That's not really too bad, since making game specifically designed for the peripheral will give get the best experience for it, rather than cutting back on other features (for an extreme example you couldn't play Halo on a SNES controller, and making it so would only weaken the game). Then what, say that you can only use this peripheral for this game on this one console? That's kind of a wierd thing to say, platform exclusivity is up to the game developer. They make a game that supports the peripheral but is exclusive to a platform, but that's not really a call on the peripheral makers end. Then the last one I can think of, a game requires a VR peripheral to be played, but it can only be played on the Occulus Rift VR headset?

That looks like the most likely angle to me, but I don't see how they could pull it off when no other peripheral makers has managed to do so. This is a visual display, not a PC, it requires separate hardware and separate software to be useful. They'd have to build some serious DRM into the thing, which hackers would tear apart in a matter of days. Really it just sounds like the guys talking lingo from his old job, which he really won't be able to take anywhere.

And if he did manage to pull something like that off, well the beauty of the whole thing is that the Occulus Rift is more of a proof of concept technology more than a big name brand. I have no problem with these guys and they have my support, but if they **** things up trying to be devious then as long they got things to work other companies will start making their own headsets.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Credossuck said:
I just want this thing to work, to be a win. If its a good product with good ergonomics it will be the first of a new generation of display methods.

I sure as fck will get me those: if they arent a bother. Its also important to make sure we have things to use them with. and i am not reffering to freaking mobile games.
I was looking over the Rift's official site, you can buy the dev kit version of it right now for $300US. Once it is completed, it will be much much cheaper. As for content, games as far back as Fallout 3 are being made Rift compatible.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Isn't that like hiring hitler to advertise a synagogue?

What? EA has the same reputation as nazis around here, so it seemed appropriate.

No wait, I got it. It's like tesla motors hiring the dad from matilda.

Like pope francis hiring bill o' reilly.

Like a PMC hiring a terminator to do PR.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
holyshaman said:
Credossuck said:
Why not focus on making them lightweight and comfortable to wear.
How about that. Yes? And why mobile devices? I am not gonna wear that stuff in public.
I would use it at home, to play games on a powerful rig. With proper controls.
And i will watch films at home. . .

So. . . lightweigght and comfortable. . .

And what about people with glasses?

Marketing is the smallest concern here. . .
if you are short sighted like me it should not be the biggest problem but far sightet is gonna be much worse
Astigmatism and farsighted here. It'd be awful for me to use haha.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
And I didn't think anything could make me lose interest in the Rift... Hopefully he doesn't fuck things up too much.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Wheee.... Cause thats just what I want EA Screwing things up by putting less focus on actual good games and more focus on an all in one entertainment money mine... Great job Occulus, Oh well maybe Sony won't Screw it up, man I'm glad I didn't back your kickstarter

Next you'll tell me that their will be in game advertisments or some type of subscription based BS

Also Mobile Device? WHY!? You think i'd wear that thing out in public? Why not just make it an add-on for a console or PC, not a portable piece of crap

And here I thought the Occulus rift was going to be amazing and nothing could dampen my enthusiasm...

PS: Don't get me wrong Educational applications or something like Movies or netflix isn't bad, but when it takes focus away from the original focus, (The games) then I have a problem with it