Oculus Rift Founder, "We See One in Every Home"

Jonathan Funcke

Mar 25, 2010
Damn the pessimism is strong here!

I'm getting one because it's interesting and something that cool for gaming. If it's as good as most reviewers say (people who've tried it, not those who just make snarky comments online) then I could definitely see this becoming a new medium of entertainment.

There were naysayers for books, TV, cellphones and internet, the people who ignored that pessimism changed the world... don't feel embarrassed if it is a huge success.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
What, do you accept a contract with Facebook and are suddenly contractually obliged to say things in a really creepy manner? No complaints here, I've been wanting to get my hands on one forever.

small

Aug 5, 2014
i dont use a controller just a mouse and keyboard so i have never really been able to really see advantage of it for my gaming experience. sorry i dont touch type and i dislike controllers so as much as this sounds cool i cant see a use for it in my life, but i really hope its everything people are expecting and hoping for

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
I would sooner buy a Kinect, or a 3D TV, or any one of the dozens of other useless gimmicks that aim to be "in every home". No thanks, Luckey.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Not really true, seeing as though I'll never get one unless they make it customization for people who are vision impaired (and I don't think you can wear glasses while wearing the Occulus Rift).

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Because of the facecrook involvement I won't see one in my home.

In addition I think that the whole concept of the occulus rift is just a step closer to a real virtual environment. At the moment I see it as a gimmick. It could be pretty cool with games like Star Citizen, but as soon as you switch to games that do not involve a first person view it's pretty much pointless. Imagine playing Starcraft or Civilization with this. It doesn't provide anything for the experience in these games.

You could watch movies with it, but it would be an experience for you and you alone. No one else can watch it together with you. If you have friends there either you need more than once OR or you have to switch back to the TV.

The whole thing is overambitious. The money that was invested in kickstarter pretty much just showed how much interest there is in real virtual environments. But without the ability to really get into these environments similar as in the movie the matrix it's just a gimmick....

If they get to that point you can bet I will be very excited, but until then.....meh...

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
Laser Priest said:
"Just because you don't have an interest in it doesn't mean you are the intended target."

Read harder
I read your whole post, much to my own dismay.

FogHornG36 said:
This is what i get from all the comments, and to you, i say killyourself, Just because you don't have an interest in it doesn't mean you are the intended target.
Just because people who aren't the intended target don't have an interest doesn't mean they should kill themselves. I don't give a shit if you don't give a shit that people don't give a shit about the Oculus Rift. Telling them to kill themselves for not having an interest in it is many things, and not one of them good.

And considering the fucking article is about how he sees one in every home, everyone with a home is presumably an intended target at some point, so even by your insane breed of logic your argument falls flat.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Yeah, no. Don't tell me what I want, or what I will want. In fact, don't try to shove anything on me, I'll decide for myself. And if you use the expression "THE FUTURE" at any point in your presentation, you're off my list.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Esmeralda Portillo said:
Luckey has a broader understanding of how the game industry will effect other industries and what it means for his product, "As time goes on it's not so much that VR is going to expand to other industries, it's that the games industry is going to expand to do things in other industries. Whether it's architecture or virtual holidays or film, the people that are making games, or making VR games today, are going to be doing these types of thing in the future".
In some tangentially related news, there are now attachments for fleshlights that register motion so it can play a corresponding video clip/animation.

There is an entire industry prep-ed for Oculus integration.

[small]Not a joke, I want to post some pics but the objects themselves may be considered as content not suitable for this site.[/small]

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Though the concept is interesting I never had any interest on Oculus. And after they sold it to Facebook makes me want it even less.

Furthermore at that price, when converted to my local currency, can feed me and my family for a whole month.

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Gee, maybe you should've thought of that before you spat in the faces of your core audience.

samnoxid

Nov 9, 2009
I am curious to know how many of the sceptics have actually used the Oculus Rift. I was extremely sceptical when I first heard about it but after trying it at a demonstration at my local library I was extremely impressed. They had this demo where all you did was ride a roller-coaster. You couldn't interact with the demo in anyway beyond enjoying the ride, but it was amazing just how much it affected me, to the point where my body would physically react when the coaster went down big drops and tight corners. It was truly a unique and hard to describe experience. Combine this experience with the YouTube videos I have seen of people using it, and I think the potential for the Oculus Rift is amazing

TLDR: Don't knock it till you try it.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Why's everyone suddenly so down on Occulus Rift? I've been genuinely excited about it since I heard about it and reports from people who've actually tried using it have been almost nothing but hugely positive.

Is this because of the Facebook thing?

For Christ's sake guys, it won't make any difference. I've never even used Facebook, and I could care less about it.

Edit: It really bums me out just how bitter people seem to be towards any sort of new hardware idea, you guys sound like a bunch of grumpy old grampas. Sometimes new hardware doesn't work as well as promised, and sometimes it has a fairly niche utility, but that doesn't mean we should shoot down every attempt at innovation by calling it a "gimmick" before we've even tried it out.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
samnoxid said:
I am curious to know how many of the sceptics have actually used the Oculus Rift. I was extremely sceptical when I first heard about it but after trying it at a demonstration at my local library I was extremely impressed. They had this demo where all you did was ride a roller-coaster. You couldn't interact with the demo in anyway beyond enjoying the ride, but it was amazing just how much it affected me, to the point where my body would physically react when the coaster went down big drops and tight corners. It was truly a unique and hard to describe experience. Combine this experience with the YouTube videos I have seen of people using it, and I think the potential for the Oculus Rift is amazing

TLDR: Don't knock it till you try it.
The trouble is that I've already tried it at the Armageddon Expo (to the point where I watched the exact same demo as you) and I still think it'll fail.

Don't get me wrong, there is potential but mostly as a gaming peripheral before anything else. By the sounds of it Oculus is attempting to reach towards something similar to TV, which is possible if:

1) They can get BIG content producers to go along creating content for an un-proven platform.

2) Successfully push out the Rift as a must-have item.

3) Prove that the Rift has staying power and isn't some gimmick that'll be abandoned when the Next Big Thing comes along.

4) Sell enough Rifts to prove there is an market for VR.

5) Slim down the model.

6) Make it less dependent on a heavy duty PC.

The last two points are hardware based and not insurmountable but the first three are the killers, especially two. Sure they are producing Dev Kits, but many of the early adopters and the ones most likely to benefit (and ultimately push VR towards mainstream) the gamers are pulling back due to the Facebook buy-out and shift in focus towards general use (never-mind the fact there is next to no reason why you'd want to use one apart from gaming).

In short, this seemingly increased focus towards general use is robbing confidence in early adopters who can actually use the device and already have content available, wounding the nascent user-base and retarding any sort of traction needed to start widespread usage they are aiming for.