Oculus Rift Now Has $16 Million Extra Investment Capital

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Entitled said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
No one wants it, needs it and nor will gaming companies add it to their games. Its a waste of money. Its a next step, i agree, it is the future, but they will have to bundle it with a console (like kinect) to make companies use it.
Again, public opinion seems to disagree with you.

There is a reason why people are watching shows like Sword Art Online and Lawnmower man, and reading Ready Player One.

When a gimmick like Kinect is released, some press people might try to hype it, and some contrarians might try to justify that it might be useful in CERTAIN situations. What you don't see, is practically everyone who has ever used it, instantly declaring that this is the future of gaming. Because this is what's happening with the Oculus.
The Kinect could have also been quite the strong revolutionary if it did what it promised to do right. Imagine that the Kinect actually translated ALL your movements (even facial expressions, lips and fingers) to the game? They promised almost that, they said that it would track even small things like fingers and now compare that vision to the final product. No wonder Kinect games suck.

The cool thing about Oculus Rift is that the technology is at that sweet point that it can deliver on the promise, for a similar case to what happened with Kinect (technology not ready to deliver the goods) just see the Virtual Boy.

A truly 100% working Kinect can be an awesome thing (although the games should still use the usual gamepad/K+M controls, no one wants to run in place to make a character move) for things like MMO's where personal expression are a big thing, couple this with the Oculus Rift and you could actually go to a nice place, sit and have a chat with someone else while also being able to read body expressions and facial expressions like in a real conversation.

Even in shooters, to be able to wave at a person, to point at a direction, to make gestures, etc... it could all work even if the player is just sitting in his couch if he wants (he could also not do anything, it wouldnt be required for him to do those things).

The Kinect was poorly treated and wasnt ready to deliver its promise, the Oculus Rift on the other hand is looking great in that area.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
$16 million may be great for R&D, but breaking into consumer hardware and actually getting manufacturing pipelines and distribution channels in place may require much, much more capital. It's definitely not enough to do what really needs to be done for VR: arm-twisting flat-panel oems away from making stuff that pretends to sync with alternating current (60hz or some multiple thereof) as only prerendered or recorded video delivers frames on an even cadence. Display OEMS also need to be pushed away other figure-of-merit driven yet VR limiting marketing fluff documented here [http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered].

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Awesome I really want so see the rift succeed. It's good to see someone other than early adopter showing some faith in the dev team.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Now we just need it to have a charging station, something like an SD card that will stick into the tv/laptop/console and serve to store preset configurations while relaying information. If they can reduce the lag, all will be good.

Also, buy stock in swivel chairs. Ya know, the ones that spin all the way around. We're gonna see a lot more of those.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I find it hard to get over my bias towards things like this, because like other people, I remember the hilariously bad stabs at 3D gaming in the 90's.

That being said, this is still pretty interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on it.