Oculus Rift, or Bro, do you even Rift?

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
What do you think of the Oculus Rift? Do you think it'll be the next revolution of gaming, or is it just a novelty? I think it's a neat device with a lot of possibilities.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I will honestly say this, I've honestly never heard anything about this "almighty" Oculus Rift anywhere else except on the Escapist. I don't even know what it is honestly, and from what I've heard about it it's something that I honestly do not care for. :p

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I am very excited for the Rift.

VR has a ton of potential but it is something that is very difficult to pull off successfully.

Currently I'm more interested in buying the Rift than I am in buying a next gen console.

I wish there was a given release date for the consumer version, but I understand and appreciate that the company wants to make sure that the product is ready instead of trying to meet an arbitrary deadline.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Generally haven't been excited for any of the 'gimmicks' this generation, including touch screens, motion controls, voice commands, 3D, etc. I am pretty excited for the Oculus Rift though, and will buy one once it becomes widely available and has games.

As for the next revolution of gaming? Far too early to tell. For some genres, shooters, first-person RPGs or racing games, it shows potential. For others it won't have much use.

Edit:

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Based on what I've read and seen, I'm not really that interested. The only benefit I can see to it is that it would make games more "immersive", but I find them good enough in that regard already, even without gimmicky 3D effects and virtual reality.

On the other hand, I can think of many negative issues to come of this. For starters, it makes you the perfect target for pranks from your roommates, at least once they stop laughing at how ridiculous you look. It doesn't look fun at all to use head movements to control where you look, similar to how everyone thought the Wii-mote would be perfect for shooters before we actually got a chance to try it. Not to mention, I wonder what this will do to your eyes after spending enough time with it. I can't imagine it will be good for them.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
If the Rift does take off, at its most successful it will be another "revolution" in gaming as much as the Wii or mobile games were the next "revolutions" in games. It's a new niche in the market, so I don't get where everybody is getting this notion it somehow has to boot out controllers to "win." Why can't we have a system that allows for virtual reality alongside regular systems, just as we have mobile games alongside consoles? I would love to see it succeed, but anybody who thinks it's somehow going to replace regular controllers is just kidding themselves.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't see what the big damn deal about this is, and when I first saw it I was having horrible flashbacks to the Virtual Boy. Not that it's the same thing, because it's not, but the design of it made me think of headaches and eye strain.

I don't see how it's gonna revolutionize anything, but that's just me. If it's not a holodeck then I don't care about virtual reality right now.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I will gladly puke to be able to use this with Mirror's Edge, that's all I know.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
The way I see it, the Oculus Rift will likely become a niche alternative method of playing certain types of games. Mostly first person games, as those are best suited to the way the device is intended to work. Looking at the list of games that (will) support it, this seems to be the case.

Lilani said:
I would love to see it succeed, but anybody who thinks it's somehow going to replace regular controllers is just kidding themselves.
From what I can tell, it only really replaces your tv/monitor and the mouse/right analog stick. You'll still need some other control input for everything else.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Playing horror games with this thing would be the best thing, I am very interested in the oculus rift due to this idea.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
This is something I dreamed of while I played Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator on my grandpa's orange screen Tandy computer...

I hope it doesn't suck.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't know whether or not to be interested.

It's something that I'd need to try for myself before knowing if it's any good, and I can't do that because it's not publicly available. So all I have to go an are second hand accounts of people saying it's pretty neat.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
A friend of mine has one of the early dev models, so he invited me over to take a look. It took a few minutes to get me set up, and then he fired up a fresh world in Minecraft. The resolution isn't great on the early model, but it was like I was standing in Minecraft. I don't know if its going to be the next thing for gaming, but its definitely interesting.

I could almost feel my eyes straining as I used it though. And getting used to being able to look around in-game is tricky. I think it would be a great thing in a simulation game, something like MechWarrior. A game where your in a VR cockpit you can look around and then use to control your mech/plane/whatever.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
OR + Star Citizen. I will finally be able to go to spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

How can this not be a big deal? It has the potential to be the next VERY big thing, but I'll wait and see.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Not hugely interested to be honest but not disinterested either. If they get the price to a reasonable level say under 100 pounds then I may give it a look but anymore than that and no way.

I am not sure how it will work for games that arent first person does it offer any benefits there? I could be wrong and it could be awesome for all kinds of games but I am sceptical there.

I am also worried about eye strain its bad enough already with me sitting a few feet from the monitor with it darkened right down even now I can feel the eye strain simply because I do a lot of my work and leisure on the computer. I dont know how the oculus will perform in this area.

I think it will find its niche but I also dont think its going to be as huge a deal as some people think it is and I almost guarantee it will not function as well as people would like i.e turning your head in game feels the same as turning your head in real life.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I had it on for only an hour but as it does deliver about 4 novelties at the same time the experience is one heck of a thrill ride, essentially Rift versus monitor is the difference between controller+TV and a racing cabinet, doesn't seem like a big difference when described but the experiences are miles apart.
Because you get full vision coverage and 110° of that being the actual image (compared to 20° for a couch + TV view, or 55° for desk + monitor), on top of that proper 3D with separate images for each eye, and most importantly real time head tracking makes it feel like you are actually standing in the virtual world... so much in fact that you need to be sitting or your will seriously hurt yourself.

All that being said however this is an early prototype, it is very expensive (looking at $500 for the quality release), has lot's of issues setting things up and games do need to be specifically reworked before it functions even half decently, not to mention standard 2D UI doesn't work with Rift and head tracking is an extra input which games do not even consider at this point.
Also this screws with your vision and orientation like nothing we have seen before, after an hour I couldn't even stand for ten minutes, try using it for several hours and this is sure to cause some serious nausea not to mention what it would do to your eyes in the long run.

Wouldn't call it revolution but it certainly is a very unique way of experiencing a virtual world, probably not advisable for the average user at this point but still very functional.