Oculus Rift Price Revealed as Pre-Orders Open

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Oculus Rift Price Revealed as Pre-Orders Open

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/915/915177.jpg

Pre-orders opened today for Oculus' Rift, revealing one of the remaining mysteries about the device: the price.

Pre-orders for Oculus' Rift virtual reality headset opened today [https://shop.oculus.com/], finally revealing the price of the headset: $599, before tax and shipping. Orders are expected to begin shipping in March, and are limited to one per customer.

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey said on Twitter Monday that there is "no chance" of pre-orders for the Rift selling out, adding that [https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/684103503308955649] "If enough people pre-order and somehow exhaust all the stock we are building up, later orders will just have a later ship date."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/684103486145867776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/684103503308955649]

All Oculus Rift headsets will come with an Xbox One controller and a free copy of Lucky's Tale, while pre-order customers will also get a free copy of Eve: Valkyrie. Oculus' Touch controllers have been delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165704-Oculus-Touch-Delayed-to-Second-Half-of-2016] to the second half of 2016.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Early adopters enjoy eating that inaugural price. Will it be worth it? I'll wait a year. Thats console level pricing. I always wait at least a year for that.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Hmmm, my budget for getting an oculus caps outs at around $300 before tax. Guess I'll have to wait a while before the price drops.

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
--Oculus Rift will retail for 599 US dollars--

Hmm... where have I heard that before?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So in order to enjoy what is essentially a gimmick on a new gen console, I would have to spend what amounts to $1000? Thanks, but no thanks. I've seen Oculus games. That thing isn't worth $100.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
For Germany it is 741? inc. tax and shipping. (Thats 797$ for you yanks)
Well I guess I need to revise my expected HTC Vive price to roughly 1000?.

I think we had news some time back where Oculus manager already admitted that it will be more than 350$ but in the "ballpark".
The only thing I'm a little bit peeved about is that more than doubling the price I do not consider still in the "ballpark".

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Checks the date.

Nope its January not April Oculus.

What a great way to entice people to buy your new highly experimental product which will pretty much live or die depending on its early adoption rate. What kind of developer will sink time and money to make something for a product that no one uses after all.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Don't you need a good rig in which to run an occulus effectively anyway? You need an investment of nearly 2000 dollars just to use VR. maybe you already had a good rig, you could still do a lot more with 600 dollars then use it on VR.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
....damn. Ballpark of $350 I could almost convince myself to do. But $600? I'm not making enough cash to get a decent refund this year, unless $46 is considered good. So yea, looks like I'll be looking at post-launch pricing if I buy it at all. Sucks too. I have a rig that exceeds the recommended specs by a decent margin - I'm practically 4k ready. But I saved for a year to get that. Maybe if Mirror's Edge 2 is decent I might reconsider. I crave a VR first person parkour fix above so much else.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
ouch... well i will have to try this out, find out if i am the kind of person that gets motion sick, and find out if it will run on my computer so i don't have to sink a few hundred into that as well... maybe next year...

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Should've expected someone with Facebook financing to say "ballpark around $350" would mean "double that" (and far more in some international regions, because "fuck you, pay us") That's kind of a nasty sting to those that were saving up for around $400. (Add more to that when considering the touch controller. In fact, if Oculus says the controller will be around $50, expect it to be at least $100.)

Well, at least there is waiting for the early adopter's to foot the research and development bills. Maybe some worthwhile software will be out and proven by the time the headset reaches a decent price. (For sure, the smart phone units will just by design.)

Of course, I wonder if anyone else about to launch a VR product will be able to undercut the Rift's price.
gillnavisingh said:
--Oculus Rift will retail for 599 US dollars--

Hmm... where have I heard that before?
I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think we're talking about game hardware that had cheaper competition, didn't have many worthy games for its first few years, and finally hit its stride mostly because of a combination of the competition goofing up and the price finally hitting a reasonable level. Only time will tell if events for the Rift play out similar the this mystery system. [small]At least I didn't post a Kaz Hirai video from E3 2006.[/small]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Oculus founder Palmer Luckey said on Twitter Monday that there is "no chance" of pre-orders for the Rift selling out, adding that [https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/684103503308955649] "If enough people pre-order and somehow exhaust all the stock we are building up, later orders will just have a later ship date."
I don't think he understands the point of ordering it. I wouldn't want to commit money and then come release day, I don't get one. The point of ordering one now is to get one at launch.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Silentpony said:
I've seen Oculus games. That thing isn't worth $100.
Well, that argument by itself doesn't work. You can't blame the tech for a lack of games. That ain't fair. For that you have to look to game developers and tell them to start pulling their heads out of their asses.

However, it's still a completely valid reason to not get an Oculus Rift. Because why would I ever buy essentially a second PC (around ?741 for most Western European countries) if I can barely do anything worthwhile with it?

Not that I'd do so regardless, because holy shit that's a rich man's toy. Oh well, give it 20 years and it'll be cheap.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
So, for most of its development the developer units were pricing out at an average of $400. And it was being run off of video cards which are now 2 or 3 generations behind. But now that it is being released to the consumer the price has gone up by 50% and only the latest greatest video cards have any hope of being able to run it.....

I think I'll wait a year or two for prices and hardware specs to become reasonable. Or go with one of their competitors if they can offer a good experience at a reasonable price on my current hardware.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Remember kids: early tech adopters get the worst deal on price and quality.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well I wasn't expecting it to be cheap but ?500 plus shipping and any import duty is a bit a steep for something that may yet turn out to be a gimmick. I'd give it a couple of years for the price to drop significantly and for enough games and practical applications are out there to prove that VR is worth the investment outside a niche audience.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
That's $850 in AUD

I knew Australia was going to get screwed on price for this but that's laughable.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Ishigami said:
For Germany it is 741? inc. tax and shipping. (Thats 797$ for you yanks)
Well I guess I need to revise my expected HTC Vive price to roughly 1000?.

I think we had news some time back where Oculus manager already admitted that it will be more than 350$ but in the "ballpark".
The only thing I'm a little bit peeved about is that more than doubling the price I do not consider still in the "ballpark".
This was pretty much my reaction... I was really looking forward to this. What I'm peeved about is that they didn't announce the price earlier - I would've saved up or decided against it earlier. Though the latter isn't likely, I'm loving what my phone and the Gear VR can do, but still.

Oh well, maybe the tax returns come early and are bigger than expected. Though it'd still hurt to blow that much on the Rift.