Oculus Rift Price Revealed as Pre-Orders Open

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well holy crap... I said they will have problems with high asking prices but I didn't think they would go this darn high.
At least give people the option to cut out all the extra fat and save a solid hundred as a base unit, because 600+ is going real absurd when you claimed 350 when last asked.

Well it certainly makes the "free retail version for backers" deal a whole lot sweeter, but I suspect it will drive away most of the other clients.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Well I wasn't expecting it to be cheap but ?500 plus shipping and any import duty is a bit a steep...
Not 500: 600! Don't be fooled by the marketing numbers. 599 is just one dollar away from 600.

I am also shocked at the price, especially since they've always thrown that 350$ figure around.
And for Germany 740?? Fuck off... last time I checked the ? was valued at 1.08$, which would directly translate into 555?. Don't tell me I have to pay 190? for shipping, unless it arrives within a day with a supersonic Concorde.

Suddenly I'm not so excited about VR anymore. That price just feels like a total ripoff after all they have been touting. Especially for Europe. Guess I'll wait to see what Steam has to offer.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I used an Occulus dev kit once, and the game ran like shit and it was blurry as fuck. Not the best start, and also probably not representative, but it certainly put me off. VR is something that I am interested in, but there is no way in hell that I am spending ?530 to get one. I get that this is new technology, and Occulus have no competitors in the market, right now, but ?530 is just too steep for me to even consider giving it a go.

*Edit* is it just me, or has the GPB sign just turned into a Question mark?

GBP = ?

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Considering all the tech in there I'm hardly surprised. Custom 2160x1200, 90Hz panels, tracking and god knows what other gizmos made the initial price pretty much impossible. Right now it's the price of a high end smart phone which makes sense. I'm still disappointed though due to their insistence on the 350$ ballpark figure. 750? is a steep price for sure but I love VR and I pre-ordered for now to reserve my spot in line. If the Vive is cheaper (which I very much doubt) I can still cancel.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Ah ahaha ahahahhahahhahaha. Wow. We've gone right out of the ballpark and landed right into a hockey rink across state lines with that one. Honestly, I really wanted one to play with, a fun toy to sort of lose myself in a few games. But no. Not for a toy that will drop in price if they don't want them collecting dust, and not for a toy that will end up getting tweaked and perfected as time goes on. Especially not for that money. I understand that it's got a lot of tech, but it unfortunately hit that price mark that might likely give competitors a leg up if they can figure out how to make it cheaper.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
I was pretty excited to wake up this morning and preorder one for $300-$400 AUD but $600 USD not including shipping is insane. Then we have the Oculus founder saying shit like "we're not making any profit from this price that we've decided on." What a load of crap.

I bet that the Oculus hardware is made in exactly the same way as Apple's hardware. Slave labour and $80 per unit mass produced in the back alley of some 3rd world country.

I'll just wait a few months and see what Valve has to offer with their stuff and if it's no good then I'll just have to stick to good old TrackIr.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
plus $50 delivery to aus = (

Guess they have to pay for the free one being sent to every kickstarter backer, I'll just have to get the samsung galaxy gear..

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Welp, that's $600 Facebook will never get from me.

Time to exclusively follow the Vive.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Even if anyone cared about VR after 1995, this price is extreme enough to scare off 5 of the 10 people who were willing to spend money on it.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
The price wasn't a complete shock, I was reading something yesterday about how the Rift would have to be worth $500, but the writer had expected that they would take an initial loss by selling at $400 to boost sales.

The shipping cost is rather extreme though.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Whelp, there goes my interest in it. I was always hoping that this would be it, the first commercially viable VR but that price doe! Just bought Maya so there is no way in hell I am getting these for a long, long time. By then, if it is indeed a success, the price drops, and it is in 4k, then I will consider it again. Especially if my animation software supports it.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I was expecting something in the $400 range. And I think my computer could at least run the damned thing (GTX970 and i5-2500k@4GHz), but damn.

Sooo...

I could get a PS4 AND an XBone for that price, for fuck sakes.

Let's see what the Vive can do price wise.

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
And for Germany 740?? Fuck off... last time I checked the ? was valued at 1.08$, which would directly translate into 555?. Don't tell me I have to pay 190? for shipping, unless it arrives within a day with a supersonic Concorde.

Suddenly I'm not so excited about VR anymore. That price just feels like a total ripoff after all they have been touting. Especially for Europe. Guess I'll wait to see what Steam has to offer.
Your actually paying for VAT instead of sales tax (like in NA). Sales tax is included after the price (and depends on state) where as VAT is included every-time they increase the value of an item and is usually around 20%. 600*1.2 ~ $720. It's not the shipping.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Xyebane said:
Tiamat666 said:

Your actually paying for VAT instead of sales tax (like in NA). Sales tax is included after the price (and depends on state) where as VAT is included every-time they increase the value of an item and is usually around 20%. 600*1.2 ~ $720. It's not the shipping.
You're probably right. Didn't think of that. They still added a premium as 740 Euro is about 800 USD at current exchange rate.
They should probably have prepared people for the price hike before dropping the bomb like that. Everyone still had the 350 ballpark in mind. They should have known people would freak if they almost double the expected price.

searron

Mar 1, 2010
Corralis said:
Damn the Japanese are getting it for a bargain. only 83.80 Yen or $0.7
I think you have that conversion backwards. 1 USD is about 120 yen, and the thing is going to japan for 83,000 yen without shipping, which on a straight conversion is about $700. Then on top of that, 100 yen in Japan goes about as far as $1 in the US. So, no, not really a good deal at all.