Oculus Touch - Pick It Up

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Oculus Touch - Pick It Up

It turns out, having hands improves quality of life just as much in a game world as the real one.

Read Full Article

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
"Suffice to say, Oculus with Touch is a vastly superior experience to the headset-only Rift."

I had the pleasure of wearing a VR set at a demo once.
Well .. pleasure might be the wrong word.

See, there is a problem with my eyes, one of my eyes sends a 'wrong' image to my brain and they don't end up overlaying, which means that seeing in 3D in real life, is already a near impossibility for me. That is a bit of a basic explanation for some rather difficult medical stuff going on.
On top of that, I have narrow veins in my brain, meaning I'm extremely sensitive to migraines.

So, how does waving my arms around in a game, while it gives me a migraine that feels like someone is drilling into my forehead with a red hot drill and my entire intestinal system is trying to force it's way up my throat and giving no real benefit visually at all, means I'm having a 'superior experience'?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
JenSeven said:
So, how does waving my arms around in a game, while it gives me a migraine that feels like someone is drilling into my forehead with a red hot drill and my entire intestinal system is trying to force it's way up my throat and giving no real benefit visually at all, means I'm having a 'superior experience'?
That would be a whole new level of immersion in Bioshock, where you are getting lobotomized.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
It's not just getting your hands into the game that is needed though but to tell you what you are holding or touching.

Holding a rock should feel different to holding a can of pop, in both texture and resistance.

Given for how long VR has been the next big thing, I kind of expected it to be further along.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
JenSeven said:
...one of my eyes sends a 'wrong' image to my brain and they don't end up overlaying, which means that seeing in 3D in real life, is already a near impossibility for me. That is a bit of a basic explanation for some rather difficult medical stuff going on.
I don't know which from a great range of ailment may be yours (I suppose it doesn't manifest in "lazy eye" form, or you would probably have indicated something to that effect), and with that blood flow matter on top, I am sure it is a very nasty thing to deal with, but still, staying with the VR topic: https://www.seevividly.com/

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Somebloke said:
JenSeven said:
...one of my eyes sends a 'wrong' image to my brain and they don't end up overlaying, which means that seeing in 3D in real life, is already a near impossibility for me. That is a bit of a basic explanation for some rather difficult medical stuff going on.
I don't know which from a great range of ailment may be yours (I suppose it doesn't manifest in "lazy eye" form, or you would probably have indicated something to that effect), and with that blood flow matter on top, I am sure it is a very nasty thing to deal with, but still, staying with the VR topic: https://www.seevividly.com/
It's not a lazy eye, it's a type of astigmatism that means the vision in my left eye is off it's axis by 37 degrees. My right eye is mostly normal. It mostly means that the vision from my eyes really don't match up all that well in my visual cortex and the info cannot be processed correctly to make a good 3D image of the world.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
JenSeven said:
"Suffice to say, Oculus with Touch is a vastly superior experience to the headset-only Rift."

I had the pleasure of wearing a VR set at a demo once.
Well .. pleasure might be the wrong word.

See, there is a problem with my eyes, one of my eyes sends a 'wrong' image to my brain and they don't end up overlaying, which means that seeing in 3D in real life, is already a near impossibility for me. That is a bit of a basic explanation for some rather difficult medical stuff going on.
On top of that, I have narrow veins in my brain, meaning I'm extremely sensitive to migraines.

That seemed kind of unnecessary.

And now the obligatory food analogy ensues.

"Its as if a person without tasting buds would complain that someone said that "the beef is good but with these spices it becomes even better"."

You are the exception rather then the rule, you see?

The big question though, is it better then the Vive with its controllers, plus the room space stuff that lets you walk around a bit.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Jiub said:
Wearing an Oculus is like wearing a giant sign around your neck that says "Run up and superman-punch me square in the jollies! I'm wide open!" No thanks.
You have people in your home who would run up and punch you in the jollies? If so, I'm sorry for you. Very sorry. If not, where else would you be wearing an Oculus?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Are they cheap to buy? No.
Do they work with the Vive, PSVR, or other HMD? No.
Do they have full range haptics? Not really.
They can vaguely track individual fingers but can they gauge the full range of motion of each and allow me to 'let go' of the controller entirely? No.

As neat as the Touch controllers are I'm more excited for Valve's 'Knuckle Controllers'. They seem to be doing more interesting things than the Touch controllers. And, as far as I've been made aware, the Knuckle Controllers won't be HMD-specific.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
JenSeven said:
Why are you even here? It's like if someone with no legs went on a rant about how handle bars don't improve the experience of riding a bike. While we're at it, I doubt this does much to improve the experience for the blind or hand-less either.

The product isn't suited for you, I get it, thanks for letting everyone know.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Jiub said:
Wearing an Oculus is like wearing a giant sign around your neck that says "Run up and superman-punch me square in the jollies! I'm wide open!" No thanks.
Hence why I'd only use it in private.