Oculus VR Staff Receive Death Threats Over Facebook Deal

conmag9

New member
Aug 4, 2008
570
0
0
Do the sub-human stains of living fecal matter who send these threats actually think it'll change anything? I wasn't terribly pleased to hear that Facebook bought out an interesting property like this, but like the average sane human, my response was more along the lines of "well, that's a shame", rather than "I'm going out of my way to make other people fear for not only their own lives, but those of their loved ones. I'm a GREAT person!".

The fact that we hear this sort of thing increasingly often about unpopular decisions is despicable.
 

Verlander

New member
Apr 22, 2010
2,449
0
0
iseko said:
trolls trolls trolls. The internet is basically one giant bridge with 99% of the community living under it. Trolling... Because they are trolls. Still what did they expect?

Step 1: kickstart an awesome idea and ask money from your average joe
step 2: use the money to create mentioned product
step 3: sell the company, funded by average joe, to... facebook. Sell an idea for virtual reality gaming to fucking facebook...
step 4: get ready to use your newly found riches to build one massive flame shield

If you did not know about or anticipate step 4 then you sir are an idiot.
Kickstarter funded the product, not the company. If you own 100% shares in that company, you're free to sell it to whoever the fuck you want. Just because some moronic kids don't understand that donating money for a "pledge reward" does not equal buying a share into the company, doesn't make it the owners fault.
 

laserwulf

New member
Dec 30, 2007
223
0
0
Why is this in any way surprising? Self-righteous, overly self-entitled man-children have also sent death threats to:
-Phil Fish
-Anita Sarkeesian
-Jennifer Hepler, senior writer for Dragon Age II
-Jennifer Hepler's children
-Bioware in general, over ME3
-Vonderhaar, a CoD:Black Ops II Multiplayer Team developer
-Vonderhaar's family
This is why the non-gaming media and general public still don't take us seriously.
 

shiajun

New member
Jun 12, 2008
578
0
0
I know it's a "thing" now on the internet, but I'm still worried that there's a sizable (and maybe growing) amount of people who think death threats are legitimate and perhaps casual ways to respond to discomfort at a situation.
 

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
447
0
0
Raise your hand if you're surprised. I can see with my magic internet vision that nobody did. Because every single decision that people disagree with on the internet has been met with death threats. Things suck arse and hopefully the Oculus team (even though I am annoyed with them at the whole Facebook thing) will understand that many people on the web are cunts and rise above it, and not take it too seriously. (Yes, I know that death threats are a serious matter blah blah etc. etc., but I think we can see by now what is and what isn't something to really worry about).
 

JayRPG

New member
Oct 25, 2012
585
0
0
It's not just over internet and electronics stuff this stuff happens on either, lately things have just been going silly.

Recently, in Australia, there was a bi-election to decide the South Australian government, (Heads up, our voting system is weird and I'll try and make it as simple as possible) The liberals won the 2-party preferred vote 52.7 to 47.3 over Labour but there are more than 2 parties so ultimately, with the votes being that close, it was up to independent MPs (members of parliment with no party affiliation) that won their respective local elections to decide which side they would choose to form the SA government - The independents picked Labour and now Labour forms the government in SA despite Liberals having a slightly higher popular vote. (This was a good thing, by the way, liberal conservatives and mining moguls are ruining this country)

Anyway, after a big whinge from a liberal SA MP the independents started receiving death threats, by phone, by mail, by email. (Only liberal cry babies would be so childish)

It's just a crazy thing to resort to... it just makes you look downright childish.
 

KazeAizen

New member
Jul 17, 2013
1,129
0
0
Well we all knew this was coming. Seriously though people need to stop being so angry about this. Jim said it best in his Jimquisition. Facebook has a better track record dealing with the things they acquire than the actual industry that this was being developed for. Can you imagine what would've happened if say EA, Ubisoft, or Activision got it. I can tell you it probably would've turned out worse than what Facebook might have planned for it.
 

iseko

New member
Dec 4, 2008
727
0
0
Verlander said:
iseko said:
trolls trolls trolls. The internet is basically one giant bridge with 99% of the community living under it. Trolling... Because they are trolls. Still what did they expect?

Step 1: kickstart an awesome idea and ask money from your average joe
step 2: use the money to create mentioned product
step 3: sell the company, funded by average joe, to... facebook. Sell an idea for virtual reality gaming to fucking facebook...
step 4: get ready to use your newly found riches to build one massive flame shield

If you did not know about or anticipate step 4 then you sir are an idiot.
Kickstarter funded the product, not the company. If you own 100% shares in that company, you're free to sell it to whoever the fuck you want. Just because some moronic kids don't understand that donating money for a "pledge reward" does not equal buying a share into the company, doesn't make it the owners fault.
100% true and not debating the legality. I'm not debating anything really. This is the reason why I think kickstarter is a stupid idea and I will never invest in it. I'm just explaining why I think some people are pissed.
 

BooTsPs3

New member
Feb 2, 2011
78
0
0
Verlander said:
iseko said:
trolls trolls trolls. The internet is basically one giant bridge with 99% of the community living under it. Trolling... Because they are trolls. Still what did they expect?

Step 1: kickstart an awesome idea and ask money from your average joe
step 2: use the money to create mentioned product
step 3: sell the company, funded by average joe, to... facebook. Sell an idea for virtual reality gaming to fucking facebook...
step 4: get ready to use your newly found riches to build one massive flame shield

If you did not know about or anticipate step 4 then you sir are an idiot.
Kickstarter funded the product, not the company. If you own 100% shares in that company, you're free to sell it to whoever the fuck you want. Just because some moronic kids don't understand that donating money for a "pledge reward" does not equal buying a share into the company, doesn't make it the owners fault.
OK, i seriously have to ask, what is the deal with people these days and their "companies exist to make money only!!! If it's legal there's nothing wrong with it!!" attitude. Nobody, nobody, freaking nobody has called what they did illegal. They have called it many things, but not illegal.

What people are pissed about, is the fact that they got exploited. There money was taken, supposed to be used to fund an idea through kickstarter. The entire point of kickstarter is that it allows ideas to be crowsourced and there's none of the corporate bullshit to deal with. That goes entirely out the window with the facebook sale. It's exploitation of kickstarter at its worst. Sure legally it's fine. But we aren't all robots. We don't simply emote only because laws are broken. There's a moral side to things.

Not only do these people feel exploited, it's going to damage kickstarter greatly as a whole. This was a perfect example of crowd funding gone wrong. It's going to make people far more hesitant when funding kickstarter projects, and hurt those who are actually using kickstarter for the reason that it was intended.

Now, i didn't back the OR, but if i did, i would be major pissed off right now. People gave their money willingly to support the creators of an idea they loved, and in return those who got the money sold out before even releasing the product.

People may not have the right to a refund or anything of that sort, but they sure as hell have the right to be pissed off at the matter. Death threats are a little far, but as far as the whole scandal goes, this was expected. People were very passionate about the OR, and selling it to one of the companies most loathed by gamers(The people who funded the damn thing) is going to piss people right off.
 

NuclearKangaroo

New member
Feb 7, 2014
1,919
0
0
i wish this was an april's fool joke


no matter how much you disagree with facebook buying oculus, this is just a douchebag move
 

Roofstone

New member
May 13, 2010
1,642
0
0
Eh. It is the internet, you'd get death threats over not liking cats.

Which I actually have.

The internet is a petty and vengeful being.
 

Cerebrawl

New member
Feb 19, 2014
459
0
0
iseko said:
OT: trolls trolls trolls. The internet is basically one giant bridge with 99% of the community living under it. Trolling... Because they are trolls. Still what did they expect?
Well, it's more like 5%, about the same as real life psychopaths and sadists. It's just that there's millions of people on the internet(actually 2.4 billion), so the numbers add up and these are very vocal people.

5% of 2.4 billion is 120 million people.

There's about 1.5 billion gamers, so about 66% of the above. So there's about 75 million gamer trolls.

About 10-12% of them are on at any given time.
 

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
Karadalis said:
Aaaaaaand this has been now how many times some random trolls utter death threats against someone on the internet because they didnt liked what the person/s have done or said?

I mean its okay to argue about the sellout all day long.. but death threats?

I swear people nowadays will threaten you with death for the most silly things...

I will kill you for saying that!!! (Joking mods) I agree 100%, its becoming more common now for some reason. An ok most are not serious, just idiots online....but it only takes one that means it and plans to carry it through. Death threats and rape threats, its getting pathetic and i hope everyone who ever leaves those comments get named and shamed.
 

Verlander

New member
Apr 22, 2010
2,449
0
0
BooTsPs3 said:
OK, i seriously have to ask, what is the deal with people these days and their "companies exist to make money only!!! If it's legal there's nothing wrong with it!!" attitude. Nobody, nobody, freaking nobody has called what they did illegal. They have called it many things, but not illegal.

What people are pissed about, is the fact that they got exploited. There money was taken, supposed to be used to fund an idea through kickstarter. The entire point of kickstarter is that it allows ideas to be crowsourced and there's none of the corporate bullshit to deal with. That goes entirely out the window with the facebook sale. It's exploitation of kickstarter at its worst. Sure legally it's fine. But we aren't all robots. We don't simply emote only because laws are broken. There's a moral side to things.

Not only do these people feel exploited, it's going to damage kickstarter greatly as a whole. This was a perfect example of crowd funding gone wrong. It's going to make people far more hesitant when funding kickstarter projects, and hurt those who are actually using kickstarter for the reason that it was intended.

Now, i didn't back the OR, but if i did, i would be major pissed off right now. People gave their money willingly to support the creators of an idea they loved, and in return those who got the money sold out before even releasing the product.

People may not have the right to a refund or anything of that sort, but they sure as hell have the right to be pissed off at the matter. Death threats are a little far, but as far as the whole scandal goes, this was expected. People were very passionate about the OR, and selling it to one of the companies most loathed by gamers(The people who funded the damn thing) is going to piss people right off.
It's not about the illegality of it, it's about the entitlement these people believe they have. They bought a product. Fine. That's what they get.

The Kickstarter was to create and fund production of this thing, that was it. It wasn't sold as "this batch only", or "open source" - it was to create a product that investors wouldn't touch, and it worked. The people that pledged got what they spent their money on. Now the project has moved on.

I find it hard to believe that this comes from a fondness of the product - if that were the case, people would be happy that their project was getting the funding and exposure it needs to succeed. The reality is that people either wanted a cut of the facebook money or over exaggerated their own input and importance to the project. If they want a cut of money, or a say in the company, they should invest properly, not make a measly donation via Kickstarter. When you pledge via Kickstarter, it very clearly says on the side what you get for your money.

Products are there to sell, they exist to "sell out". If these pledgers don't understand that, they should abstain from spending money on a whim.
 

schrodinger

New member
Jul 19, 2013
342
0
0
Was waiting for the internet death threat machine to kick in. I would never take a death threat seriously from the internet since most of the time it's pissy 12-20 year olds who don't have the balls to say it in real life.
 

BooTsPs3

New member
Feb 2, 2011
78
0
0
Verlander said:
BooTsPs3 said:
OK, i seriously have to ask, what is the deal with people these days and their "companies exist to make money only!!! If it's legal there's nothing wrong with it!!" attitude. Nobody, nobody, freaking nobody has called what they did illegal. They have called it many things, but not illegal.

What people are pissed about, is the fact that they got exploited. There money was taken, supposed to be used to fund an idea through kickstarter. The entire point of kickstarter is that it allows ideas to be crowsourced and there's none of the corporate bullshit to deal with. That goes entirely out the window with the facebook sale. It's exploitation of kickstarter at its worst. Sure legally it's fine. But we aren't all robots. We don't simply emote only because laws are broken. There's a moral side to things.

Not only do these people feel exploited, it's going to damage kickstarter greatly as a whole. This was a perfect example of crowd funding gone wrong. It's going to make people far more hesitant when funding kickstarter projects, and hurt those who are actually using kickstarter for the reason that it was intended.

Now, i didn't back the OR, but if i did, i would be major pissed off right now. People gave their money willingly to support the creators of an idea they loved, and in return those who got the money sold out before even releasing the product.

People may not have the right to a refund or anything of that sort, but they sure as hell have the right to be pissed off at the matter. Death threats are a little far, but as far as the whole scandal goes, this was expected. People were very passionate about the OR, and selling it to one of the companies most loathed by gamers(The people who funded the damn thing) is going to piss people right off.
It's not about the illegality of it, it's about the entitlement these people believe they have. They bought a product. Fine. That's what they get.

The Kickstarter was to create and fund production of this thing, that was it. It wasn't sold as "this batch only", or "open source" - it was to create a product that investors wouldn't touch, and it worked. The people that pledged got what they spent their money on. Now the project has moved on.

I find it hard to believe that this comes from a fondness of the product - if that were the case, people would be happy that their project was getting the funding and exposure it needs to succeed. The reality is that people either wanted a cut of the facebook money or over exaggerated their own input and importance to the project. If they want a cut of money, or a say in the company, they should invest properly, not make a measly donation via Kickstarter. When you pledge via Kickstarter, it very clearly says on the side what you get for your money.

Products are there to sell, they exist to "sell out". If these pledgers don't understand that, they should abstain from spending money on a whim.
No, i'm pretty sure a lot of it comes from the fact that such an awesome concept was funded by the gaming community and was going to be made for that community. It's very common to see gamers complain about ios games and facebook games. A lot of them loath them, with their adds and wait to play mechanics. Facebook is not known to offer good gaming experiences, and zuckerberg made it clear that he wouldn't simply be leaving the project to do its own thing.

Gamers hate the idea of forced social networking, in-game ads and the like. If facebook's past is an indicator, this isn't unlikely to happen.

People aren't buying products on kickstarter. They're funding projects. They're donating their own money for the future of a concept they like. This system was exploited by the OR, and people are rightfully pissed off. Call people greedy and money grubbing all you want, but that's not really based on anything other than your pessimism. Plenty of kickstarters have made a ton of money and the backers didn't suddenly get pissed off. This is no different. It's not the money exactly, it's the concept of selling out. In a world where AAA gaming is becoming a joke run by corporations doing little but homogenising products, successful indies are revered in the gaming community. Aside from valve, pretty much every one of the larger companies out there are not likely to choose the route which benefits consumers, but the one that exploits them.