Odd enemies

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
So recently I was replaying Earthbound and I came to the Lost Underworld. I was walking around, doing my thing, being tiny and adorable, when I came across an enemy I had never seen before. It was round. It was big. It was arrogant. And it was glorious.

I don't even know, but I don't want to. Look at that thing. He's beautiful. I just want to stare at him forever...

But I digress. I started thinking about other weird enemies in Mother games, and then in games in general, and then I started wondering what really weird enemies looked like, and then I thought that someone here ought to know, and now I'm typing this. Funny how things work out.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Odd enemies thread huh? I'll bite;

Geth Stalkers from the first Mass Effect. Little jumping bastards that shoot lasers from their eyes and jam your radar, plus they love inflicting status effects. They never appear outside of game 1, and nobody ever mentions them again.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Earthbound and the like have weird enemies. This is unarguable. Consider their source.

If you're asking us to top that...I don't know.

Well, no. I can think of something.

{1} Any creature whose job is to...explode. Earthbound has these, but I think exploding enemies overall have got to be some of the weirdest ones out there. You're a thing, and you live out your life until one day something threatens you and...your one real defense against them is to explode? How does that work? Is that a "You can't fire me, I quit!" move?

{2} A good contender in enemies is probably Mega Bomberman. Let's see... Giant monkey-controlled banana monster, giant zigguraut mech, a bubble-shooting crab, a ninja man-bat-thing, a big ice princess... These are bosses, by the way. Regular mooks might include floating blimp-fish, ice-skating bunnies, little red dudes that are attracted to bombs, burning ferris wheels, little yellow dudes who cry alot, little guys in Indiana Jones hats,...

{3} Of course, EVERYTHING in Oddworld is odd. That's a given.

Toastie058

Oct 3, 2012
The Brood Mother from Dragon Age: Awakening. It is one of the few video games enemies that have made pause the game and think about what sort of mind comes up with this.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Pablo Belisario Ochoa in the first hitman game. The dude in the jungle.

'Say hello to my little friend' and 'suck my cohones' never get old.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Toastie058 said:
The Brood Mother from Dragon Age: Awakening. It is one of the few video games enemies that have made pause the game and think about what sort of mind comes up with this.
I think it's because they made boobs look horrifying. I think that's part of the "alrjslkfjslf" factor; society really, really doesn't want its boobs looking horrifying. If it weren't for the boobs it would just be a creepy sludge thing with tentacles. Which are... startingly common, actually.

OT: Uhhh. Pretty much everything from Morrowind that didn't carry over to the other games. I haven't played all that much of it (I only got into games in 2009, so the old-schooly-dice-roll-controlled games don't really do it for me) so I can't remember much of their names.

((Captcha stop asking me if I shop at Canadian Tire. I may be Canadian but there's about a thousand more stores in the goddamn country. There isn't even one near my home dammit.))

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I seem to recall a gang of old women in either New Vegas or Fallout 3. They attack you with melee weapons such as frying pans, rolling pins and, a single kitchen knife. They only appear once and when you kill them that's it (and that's only with the Wild Wasteland perk). I want to fight more senile delinquents...

riccyd

Sep 27, 2010
Dragons quest 8 a Satyr, how can i kill him when he's dancing in such a jolly way and playing such a happy tune.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I would say the balloons in the Wild Arms series. They're just a bunch of floating red bubbles with giant scary faces all over them, I can't really find a good image. This is the only one...

Also Stunfisk. It creeps me out...

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I always found the Zombie Whale from Final Fantasy IX to be a little odd.

I mean, come on it's a zombie freaking whale.
Also gelatinous cubes.
Who the hell thought that one up.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Linda, the "Hideous Hulking Lungfish of Lake Oblangata" in Psychonauts. Or pretty much any other enemy from that game, since most of them were figments of someone's imagination.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Mother from Turok 2, think dragon age's broodmother but this thing has tentacle arms it uses to swing from the top of the cave and basically flings its cooch into your face.

Theres the whores from dantes inferno that shoot a tentacle spike from their cooch.

Vampire the masquerade bloodlines had these crazy ass monsters that i only remember the top half as being a very disfigured topless woman with a flayed belly and i think the legs were the bodies of two more women.

I think theres a theme there...

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
Rather than post 20 examples I could just say "half the enemies in Maplestory"

Here's 1 example anyway:

Yup.... a freakin' CD.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
jbm1986 said:
Rather than post 20 examples I could just say "half the enemies in Maplestory"

Here's 1 example anyway:

Yup.... a freakin' CD.

I LOL´D for some weird reason thats just freaking hilarious!

I wish there was more weird enemies in videogames now :D

But I Bet it really isint a CD but rather a creature of the ingame word thats actually something else, but out of context it really looks like a CD!

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Shinsei-J said:
*snip*
Also gelatinous cubes.
Who the hell thought that one up.
I see you've only dipped into the weird back catalog of really, really dumb enemies.

Behold the flumph!

The dreaded flail snail!

The gas spore, a creature whose only reason to exist was to confuse the players into killing it. Seriously. It floats at you. It looks like a beholder. You hit it and it explodes on the party for heavy damage.

Dear God, Minsc was right. Be careful, Shepard!

Mocking the incredibly silly monsters some of the writers has come up with is a tradition which started long, long ago. You can find whole pages of these. Surprisingly, Paizo actually wrote an entire book trying to make some of the most insipid creatures ever published into something acceptable.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Shinsei-J said:
thedoclc said:
Where is this book, I must have it!
My pathfinder players are going to have an interesting experience next time I DM.
Misfit Monsters Redeemed. ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-270-8 You can order it wherever you buy stuff or order it direct from Paizo on their website. Paizo also sells the secure PDF. The featured monsters are the Adherer, the Flumph, the Delver, the Lava Child, the Dire Corby, the Lurking Ray, the Disenchanter, the Tojanda, the Flail Snail, and the Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing.

Their original incarnations are some of the lamest ideas ever put to paper. Frankly, almost all of them could make it onto this thread. YMMV as to whether they succeeded. The reviews from Paizo's on site are positive, RPG.net mixed.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
The Noss from Darksiders II.

Seriously, out of all the bizarre monsters from that game, this sucker unnerved me the most.

I attribute that to its freakishly long arms and hands the size of its entire upper torso.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
FalloutJack said:
{1} Any creature whose job is to...explode. Earthbound has these, but I think exploding enemies overall have got to be some of the weirdest ones out there. You're a thing, and you live out your life until one day something threatens you and...your one real defense against them is to explode? How does that work? Is that a "You can't fire me, I quit!" move?
This is actually a valid tactic if you prize the species/group/many above the individual. If a predator tries to eat an animal and it explodes, then odds are good the predators will learn to stop trying to eat them pretty quickly. The individual creatures may be dead, but the species as a whole will benefit from it in the long run, kind of like a more flashy version of the "Don't eat me, I'm poisonous" tactic.

It's not even an entirely fictional thing, several species of Ant and/or Termite actually do explode to deter predators.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Every time someone brings something up from Earthbound, I honestly don't remember seeing it; I often wonder if I dreamed the whole thing, after falling asleep at the title screen or something.