Odd prices in games.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
George Learmonth said:
Wickatricka said:
Nah but dark souls really pisses me off lol. Got past the first boss then the skeletons just rape me every time. Then I stopped playing.
Don't go in the ruins, there's a path that leads up to a bridge. Go there instead.

Jeez I must be very thick or something didn't even know there was more then one way lol thanks bro.

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
sjwho2 said:
Uh.........dark souls can drop over 100+ souls from a single person.

Sorry, argument invalid.
I wasn't saying that the prices were to high or anything or if it came off that way it's not what I wanted to communicate, just that I found it mildly amusing that a single arrow was worth the essence of 10 people or however the souls in this series work.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Deadly Premonition.

4 crackers cost $60+ some... FROM A VENDING MACHINE. Though the game practically throws money at you, and it's more or less to make it balanced out. I think a turkey sandwich cost around $300, and 5 cigarettes cost $150. Again this is all from memory since I put the game down after I finished it a few months ago.

Shdwrnr said:
In Deadly Premonition a single cracker costs ~$25 but having your suit dry cleaned in 24 hours costs $10.
Ninja'd. Dammit.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Ratties said:
Know some items in Pokemon are really expensive for no reason what so ever. I understand potions and pokeballs being a tad bit pricey. Do understand that items that cure status aliments are a bit to much. Of course there are tms like Hyper Beam which are way overpriced. Can tell you that Hyper Beam hasn't been a good move since gen 1. I think GameFreak knows this as well. Nobody is buying shit like this anymore in the games. Give some of this shit away for free, so we can turn around and sell it.
Put Hyperbeam on a slacking with max EV Sp attack and a IV of 31 in sp.Atk .

Assuming you aren't going up against someone with a normal resistance , it will outright kill them AND the recharge turn is the same as the turn he slacks off . Same with giga impact ( with Phys. attack ). Seems pretty win to me .

OT: fallout 3 and new vegas . Bottle caps = money . Drink a coke , get 1 dollar .

Ratties

May 8, 2013
krazykidd said:
Ratties said:
Know some items in Pokemon are really expensive for no reason what so ever. I understand potions and pokeballs being a tad bit pricey. Do understand that items that cure status aliments are a bit to much. Of course there are tms like Hyper Beam which are way overpriced. Can tell you that Hyper Beam hasn't been a good move since gen 1. I think GameFreak knows this as well. Nobody is buying shit like this anymore in the games. Give some of this shit away for free, so we can turn around and sell it.
Put Hyperbeam on a slacking with max EV Sp attack and a IV of 31 in sp.Atk .

Assuming you aren't going up against someone with a normal resistance , it will outright kill them AND the recharge turn is the same as the turn he slacks off . Same with giga impact ( with Phys. attack ). Seems pretty win to me .

OT: fallout 3 and new vegas . Bottle caps = money . Drink a coke , get 1 dollar .
Not win at all. It is a Pokemon almost nobody uses because of it's shit ability. Do realize that Slaking is pretty powerful, nobody uses him anyways. Of course Hyper Beam is a much better choice on Exploud or Porygon-Z. It is a metagame dominated by fighting types, Slaking doesn't stand a chance. Know Exploud and Porygon-Z only use Hyper Beam as a gimmick most of the time. Got to be able to switch out, you can't sit there looking like an easy target, plus normal stab is horrible.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
350 pokedollars for lemonade? Seriously in-game vending machine companies?

TheWanderingFish said:
Pokemon always comes to mind for me:

A highly advanced ball that can capture, store, and release, living creatures on the atomic level: $200
A bike: $1 000 000

That is a pretty odd perception of value if you ask me.
Also this.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Any game with exponential item scaling, really.
Pick up random crap 3/4 of the way through, and sell it for more than the value of early game cities.

People brought up borderlands earlier ... which is hilarious in that you can't trade money ... but you can hand a lowbie a few whites, which they can vendor for more cash than they'll ever need for the next 20 hours.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
Probably Skyrim.
"Oh, this is a bone of a dragon, that you killed, which few mortals can claim to have done? An act of valor and strength that only the best can claim?"
"Yeah."
"I can give you £300."

Incidentally, I think selling a Flawless Sapphire gives you more money than a Dragon Bone.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
krazykidd said:
It works because there isn't the means to manufacture more of them (both the coke and bottlecaps) making it a finite resource. You even get a mission to destroy a bottle-cap press to stop potential inflation.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Hero of Lime said:
350 pokedollars for lemonade? Seriously in-game vending machine companies?

TheWanderingFish said:

A highly advanced ball that can capture, store, and release, living creatures on the atomic level: $200

Also this.
Well, I'm guessing pokedollars is like yen, so 350 is really $3.50. At least I think that's how it works.

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
I recall the Thieves Armlet in FFIX was 55000 gil and it wasn't great and only used to boost your treasure hunter score at the last bit of the game, which was an overly expensive and time consuming side mission for little gain.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
TheWanderingFish said:

Considering that you can't get over 999,999 poke dollars makes it even more ridiculous, trust me, I've tried. Also that Fresh Water, Soda, Lemonade, and MooMoo Milk are cheaper and better then the Potion and Super Potion up until you get to Hyper Potions (which are still more expensive than just using 2 MooMoo Milks). And that a Lava Cookie or Castelia Cone are like 100 poke dollars and do the same as a 600 poke dollar Full Heal. I hope at some point in the series you have the option to go to a regular grocery store and get better value items in bulk instead of the pricey Potions and stuff even if its just in one area thats half-way through the game like the department stores in each gen.

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
I can speak about the Elder Scrolls having wacky prices all day. Especially Oblivion. Solid silver urn? I'll give you 5 septims! A book, in a world apparently lacking in any sort of functioning printing press? I'll give you 20 septims! And then, when I bought Dragonborn for Skyrim, I found I could buy bottles of Flin. Flin in Morrowind was expensive as hell, real "save it for the end game" expensive, being about 4 times as pricey as your average bottle of plonk. So I get Dragonborn, and somehow, on an essentially abandoned outpost on a distant island, in a time when most places that produced flin were obliterated by a meteor strike, a volcanic eruption, an invasion and a tsunami, it is somehow CHEAPER than it used to be. So cheap, it's the same price as most of the other stuff.

Oct 2, 2012
Gauntlets28 said:
I can speak about the Elder Scrolls having wacky prices all day. Especially Oblivion. Solid silver urn? I'll give you 5 septims! A book, in a world apparently lacking in any sort of functioning printing press? I'll give you 20 septims! And then, when I bought Dragonborn for Skyrim, I found I could buy bottles of Flin. Flin in Morrowind was expensive as hell, real "save it for the end game" expensive, being about 4 times as pricey as your average bottle of plonk. So I get Dragonborn, and somehow, on an essentially abandoned outpost on a distant island, in a time when most places that produced flin were obliterated by a meteor strike, a volcanic eruption, an invasion and a tsunami, it is somehow CHEAPER than it used to be. So cheap, it's the same price as most of the other stuff.
Actually Flin was imported from Cyrodiil so its production wouldn't have been hampered by Vvardenfel getting blown up.
As to why its so cheap in Skyrim compared to Morrowind however? Not a clue. Perhaps in the 200 years since the events of Morrowind production has been able to increase or perhaps it simply fell out of favor and with a sharp drop in demand the price fell.
But thats just speculation based on absolutely nothing :p
Also everything in Morrowind was pretty crazily priced except for the really cheap crap. Gold was also in abundance compared to say Skyrim. Your average random side quest in Morrowind payed like 200 Drakes on average plus another couple hundred from loot. And there were a lot of quests.
In Skyrim the average random quest payed me diddly squat :mad:
So perhaps there was some inflation issues in Vvardenfel?
Once again though I'm just talking out my ass :p

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
Beffudled Sheep said:
Gauntlets28 said:
Actually Flin was imported from Cyrodiil so its production wouldn't have been hampered by Vvardenfel getting blown up.
As to why its so cheap in Skyrim compared to Morrowind however? Not a clue. Perhaps in the 200 years since the events of Morrowind production has been able to increase or perhaps it simply fell out of favor and with a sharp drop in demand the price fell.
Also everything in Morrowind was pretty crazily priced except for the really cheap crap. Gold was also in abundance compared to say Skyrim. Your average random side quest in Morrowind payed like 200 Drakes on average plus another couple hundred from loot. And there were a lot of quests.
Oh crikey, you're right! I need to keep up with my lore! :D I suppose it was just the impression I got from it being EVERYWHERE in Morrowind, and nowhere in Oblivion. Where did the flin go? Wherever the Collovian fur helms went. :p

Oct 2, 2012
Gauntlets28 said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
Gauntlets28 said:
Oh crikey, you're right! I need to keep up with my lore! :D I suppose it was just the impression I got from it being EVERYWHERE in Morrowind, and nowhere in Oblivion. Where did the flin go? Wherever the Collovian fur helms went. :p
Ma'iq probably stole all the Flin and fur helms and is hiding them somewhere :p
He says he doesn't know but he is a liar.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ed130 said:
krazykidd said:
It works because there isn't the means to manufacture more of them (both the coke and bottlecaps) making it a finite resource. You even get a mission to destroy a bottle-cap press to stop potential inflation.
I'm speaking from a position of ignorance here but doesn't the game also give you the potential to make counterfeit caps?

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
Ed130 said:
krazykidd said:
I'm speaking from a position of ignorance here but doesn't the game also give you the potential to make counterfeit caps?
Yeah, but I think I remember you had to be pretty high level to do it, so I'm guessing you're like the first guy to do so in like, a million years or something like that! The economic theory's sound though.