Odd/Random things you're really good at

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I'm able to get 44MPG on a normal Civic, which is much better than what my car is rated just for the highway (39MPG) yet alone for combined city/highway along with beating out the hybrid version of my Civic as well.

Just a little less than a year back I got a used 2012 Civic (not a hybrid), but it does have an ECON mode. I started just using ECON mode on the highway for the 1st few months. Then I noticed the car has a screen/display telling you what your MPG is in real-time (that you have to switch to in the menus). It's basically a simple bar with 0MPG on the left end with 35MPG in the middle and 70MPG at the far right end. I noticed I was getting about 36MPG per fill-up for 1st so many fill-ups with the MPG screen up.

As the gamer with a great ability to min/max (I win a lot of board games my 1st time playing because of that), I started trying to hit that 70MPG mark as much as possible. Hitting it while doing a steady 35-40MPH on normal streets is pretty easy, where you waste gas is stop signs and stoplights and having to accelerate back up to speed. On the expressway, I can consistently hit between 35-70MPG going 65-70MPH. However, if I stay in the low 60s to upper 50s in MPH, I can hit basically 70MPG just about the whole trip. I used to be someone that went right for the left lane and went 75-85MPH because going faster is better, right? I also found that going slower, at least on my 20min drives, only wastes like a minute vs going faster. Now I stay in the right lanes going at a max 65MPH and I've been averaging 42-44MPG the last month or so. I also do a lot more coasting during city driving to where people pass me up quite a bit now but if I know I won't make the light, I just coast going like 20MPH. Most of my miles are definitely highway driving so that helps a lot.

I was looking into buying a Toyota Prius C but I couldn't find a used one close enough to try as the price range was just about the same as a Civic while the full-sized Prius is much more expensive. Now I think I'd be a perfect fit for a hybrid as I've read getting the most out of a hybrid entails driving it "properly". I really love the Civic for the dashboard alone, I love how the speedometer is as high and far back on the dash as possible (and the Prius C is very similar). I had to drive a rental for a month and it really felt like I had to take my eyes off the road to see my speed vs my prior Civic that got totaled (by someone running from the cops).

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
It's sort of odd and it has to do with sleeping.
Now hold your horses there, I'm not finished yet.

I'm really bad at going to sleep, having a longer "day rhythm", which shunts my hours around until I'm sleeping during the day and back again to night eventually.
I'm also bad at waking up and can go right back to sleep or just stay in bed until hunger forces me out.
Almost at the "good at" part.

When I'm sleeping, I'm really really asleep.
I've had babies cry and scream into my ear and a chainsaw going to work on a big maple-tree just outside my bedroom window and I'm asleep throughout it all.
Despite that, I wake up immediately if I get an sms, someone is calling out to me, knocking on my door, calling on my cellphone or just if someone wants my attention.

That is odd, and weird.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I summon buses and change traffic lights with my mind.

*Snerk*

I kid. That's just good timing.

I instinctively navigate probability waveforms.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
FalloutJack said:

*Snerk*

Ha!!! You've revealed yourself...

SNAKE EYES!!!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Phoenixmgs said:
FalloutJack said:

*Snerk*

Ha!!! You've revealed yourself...

SNAKE EYES!!!

Well, you've got half the battle down. Now what?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm really good at saying "bless you" after people sneeze. Specifically, I'm good at predicting exactly which will be the last sneeze in an episode of them sneezing a lot, so I never have to say it more than once. Because I always say it just after the final sneeze, this has resulted in an urban legend in my office that I have a power to stop people from sneezing with just the magic words "bless you".

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I have a rare power.
One that most I have encountered lack.
A dark power.
One that causes me to be shunned.
One that leads only to my suffering and pain.

I have the power of punctuality!

Seriously. Most of my friends are always late and I'm always waiting for the rest of my family to finish all their crap, making us late

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I used to good at searching specific things on google search with actual link from the result, that is until the searchbar improved and doesn't so much specification in the typing.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im oddly good at frying steaks.

Its odd, because ive only cooked a steak once.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I can make the perfect medium rare steak about 80~90% of the time...but only on a barbecue. When I use a frying pan I almost always fail.

I have a very good sense of rhythm, far better than almost everyone I've met. (which is partly why I drum as a hobby.)

I can flip almost any hand-held object and have it land in my hand again perfectly. (I do it often to keep my hands busy, so got really good at it. My favourite objects are knives of all sizes which I can find aplenty since I work part-time in a kitchen.)

I have no trouble at all with inventory management in my head. I never need to write things down or check how much I/we have of what when it comes to that.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I can sing the entire monologue of "I'm an asshole" by Dennis Leary from memory.

It dips in quality after a few beers......which is when I normally bring it out.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I used to good at searching specific things on google search with actual link from the result, that is until the searchbar improved and doesn't so much specification in the typing.
Could you describe more?

Johnny Novgorod said:
I can break an apple in half with my bare hands.
The good 'ol Judo Chop or actually pulling it apart?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Arnoxthe1 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Could you describe more?

Johnny Novgorod said:
I can break an apple in half with my bare hands.
The good 'ol Judo Chop or actually pulling it apart?
Basically back in High School, around the birth of Broandband, I took I.T.

Anyway, one of the things I remember from that class was about getting more refine search result in this textbook. All it was is adding "" for specific words in the search and I think - to not include it.

Long story short, I was able to find specific search results for University mate of my cos he's a 3d modeller and other graphic base stuff. I hepl him out several time when he was struggle to find some decent link like example he wanted something like a rig of an alien legs that isn't humanoid like legs.

They days the searches are more accurate so I no longer need to add "" or spend ages looking for a link.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm pretty great at guessing measurements.

When I used to bake, I miss having an oven, I could often eyeballed cutting butter to within 5 grams of the needed amount. Or when I make a bottle of lemon water to drink I know almost instantly the right amount of lemon juice to poor in the bottle to make it just tangy and fresh enough without curling your face with acidity.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Guessing the time. One of my nervous ticks is to slways check the time. I must know exactly what time it is at all times. So i can pretty acurately guess what time it is, snd how much time has passed.

I remember going to cuba with my girlfriend last year and purposely left my phone at home. We didn't really have any way to tell the time outside the hotel room. So every now and again my fd would ask one of the hotel workers what time it is. We made a game out of my guessing what time it was before she asked. Whether we were outside for an hour or 4-5 hours, i would always guess the time within 15 minutes of the actual time.

She was quite impressed.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Almost any tv show Ive ever seen. I can say which season/ep after watching a random 5 second clip.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Sometimes I'll have a two second clip of a song stuck in my head. It can just be the music, or just the vocals, but I can always nail it within five minutes, usually less.
I can kind of tap into RNGs and either use it to my advantage, or just kind of read the ether of things. Don't get me wrong, it fails me a lot. But I have a higher percentage of success than I mathematically should.
I can cook this amazing chili (if you like it sweet and thick, which I do) and I've never written down the recipe and never taken measurements. I'm pretty decent at cooking in general if I decide to throw something together with random ingredients, but I fail spectacularly if I have to follow a recipe.
I have this skill with Bethesda lockpicks which seems pretty uncanny. Never saw anyone else play though so it might just be piss easy.
I'm great at mentally mapping out areas.

That's all I can think of.