Odd stereotypes you don't get

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
theSteamSupported said:
Don Savik said:
Atheists don't believe in anything. NOTHING.

Yep. I don't believe in love, morality, art, air, the physical world, even my own existance.

None of it is real apparently.....or so I've been told by numerous people.

"wait, you don't believe in anything?" <--verbatim from people I've talked to

I said GOD not anything...GOD!!!!!

G-O-D does not spell anything.
I don't believe in anything, but I still don't want to call myself an atheist. That's beacause to me, religion has to do with emotional attachment that defines one's bias. Rejection of those attachments is an attachment in of itself, and I consider myself to be too philosophical and introspective to join said rejection. So yeah, I don't feel comfortable belonging to a religious community, not even the atheist community. Wasting my energy upon yelling at religious people isn't really my thing.

That's the core problem I have with Atheism, really. Verbal hostility towards emotional attachments, tends to make said attachments more binding to the people who hold them, no matter how true that hostility is. So it's not logic, reason or evidence you're lacking, it's kindness, honesty and subtlety.

In the end, resistance is harmful, but if an establishment is facing resistance, said establishment contains way too many errors. Never create anger.
I'm sure the gays who can't marry, the victims of Islamic extremism and honour killings, the Africans being told Condoms don't stop AIDS, and that girl forced to marry her rapist agree with you. If I never create anger, I submit my will to he who is willing to provide any disagreement with my positions. That's not moral. That's Moral cowardice. That's a refusal to stand up for a belief or a position, out of fear of angering someone.

I'd be happy to anger people. I'd be happy to anger racists, neo-Nazis, mass-murderers, child-molesters, Christian fundamentalists, homophobes.

Religion is not emotional attachment that defines one's bias. That's a lot of effort to incorrectly define something. I'm emotionally attached to my dog, my car, my friends, and mushrooms, and these have nothing to do with scripture of any kind, or the acceptance of a God. Religion is nothing to do with emotional attachment. I could be considered a militant Atheist, but I have no issue with emotional attachment. That sounds more like a principal of Bhuddist philosophy to me. You can be emotionally attached to Religion, but that's something completely different. Religion is simply the acceptance and belief of certain dogma and philosophy, for most purposes.

An Atheist does not REJECT religion, as you seem to define rejection. He/She does not accept the concept that a God exists. That's it. That's not a rejection, as a belief that there is no God. An Atheist does believe there is no God, but that's not a position. If no-one suggested that a God or Gods exist, then everyone would be Atheist, yet they're not "Rejecting" a concept. If I said to you I was the reincarnation of Steve Jobs, would you consider it a rejection, and hence a belief, to disagree with me? Someone considering themself as thoughtful and insightful as yourself has surely heard of Sagan's dragon?

Not every concept has to be defined in terms of, accept/reject, but if you must, the scientific, the naturalistic view for unsupported hypothesis, is called the Null Hypothesis. Should a hypothesis present no evidence, it is assumed to be false. That's called being intellectually honest. Should a hypothesis of a God present evidence, it deserves consideration, but otherwise, it deserves dismissal. Not Rejection, since that would require Falsification, but dismissal.

Those who are hostile towards Religion, anti-religious types if you will, are often called "Militant Atheists". This is a political movement. That's the religion bashing stuff. This is a political extension of a philosophical position, and that's the one that may be considered negative by some overly tolerant individuals.

This is one of my favourite stereotypes, I used to subscribe to it. "Atheism is as bad as religion, because the belief that there is no God is also a belief about a God, and can't be proven." It's why we have the term "Agnostic" for religious beliefs. The word Agnostic means uncertain, in short. If I am Agnostic, I don't know. So I'd be an Agnostic Atheist. I don't know if there's a God, and I don't believe in one. I'm also an Agnostic Dragon-disbeliever, Unicorn-disbeliever, and 2012-Apocalypse-disbeliever. I don't know if something exists, so, in abcense of evidence, I assume disbelief. However, most people who say they're Agnostic, say they don't know if there's a God. Which means they're either a Theist (Accepts as fact the existance of a God), or an Atheist (Does not accept as fact the existance of a God). I can be an Agnostic Christian too. Most people considering themselves Agnostics, are probably Atheist, by strict definition.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Purple Drank. I'm not sure where it came up or why. In all honesty, what does grape fanta have to do with black people?????

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've never seen black people being portrayed as fried chicken and watermelon eating individuals, until I saw people dismissing it as stereotype.

Maybe it's because I don't live in America.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
First off, a disclaimer. I don't believe there's such a thing as stupidity. 'Stupidity' is really most of the time just lack of knowledge, a direct consequence from lack of communication. We're seven billion people on this planet, and during the course of history, we've been divided by oceans, forests and mountains. That has created isolation, and it's from here religion and bigotry has emerged. Maybe. Probably. Perhaps.

It's all just a hypothesis, really. Created by me, a non-expert. Take my words with a pinch of salt. And a professor.

Loonyyy said:
I'm sure the gays who can't marry, the victims of Islamic extremism and honour killings, the Africans being told Condoms don't stop AIDS, and that girl forced to marry her rapist agree with you. If I never create anger, I submit my will to he who is willing to provide any disagreement with my positions. That's not moral. That's Moral cowardice. That's a refusal to stand up for a belief or a position, out of fear of angering someone.

I'd be happy to anger people. I'd be happy to anger racists, neo-Nazis, mass-murderers, child-molesters, Christian fundamentalists, homophobes.
Just like you, I condemn all harm that has been applied on others for higher causes. We both want it to end as soon as possible. But do you seriously think it will stop if we get angry at them? Do you think those people will with logical thinking, question their beliefs they're backing up with raw emotions? If so, prove it.

Loonyyy said:
Religion is not emotional attachment that defines one's bias. That's a lot of effort to incorrectly define something. I'm emotionally attached to my dog, my car, my friends, and mushrooms, and these have nothing to do with scripture of any kind, or the acceptance of a God. Religion is nothing to do with emotional attachment. I could be considered a militant Atheist, but I have no issue with emotional attachment. That sounds more like a principal of Buddhist philosophy to me. You can be emotionally attached to Religion, but that's something completely different. Religion is simply the acceptance and belief of certain dogma and philosophy, for most purposes.
Okay, sorry for not being entirely clear. I wasn't meant to say that religion equals emotional attachment, you're right about religion being a collection of dogmas. What I was trying to address, was faith, really. Faith is to me, an emotional attachment, so strong it's forming a bias that makes one ignore correct accusations.

Loonyyy said:
An Atheist does not REJECT religion, as you seem to define rejection. He/She does not accept the concept that a God exists. That's it. That's not a rejection, as a belief that there is no God. An Atheist does believe there is no God, but that's not a position. If no-one suggested that a God or Gods exist, then everyone would be Atheist, yet they're not "Rejecting" a concept. If I said to you I was the reincarnation of Steve Jobs, would you consider it a rejection, and hence a belief, to disagree with me? Someone considering themselves as thoughtful and insightful as yourself has surely heard of Sagan's dragon?
1. There's a fine difference between saying "I believe there is no god" and "I lack belief there is a god". I prefer the second statement.
2. I consider reincarnation a metaphysical phenomena, thus something that can't be tested by scientific method. Hence, you're both a reincarnation of Steve Jobs and not at the same time, but that basically doesn't mean anything on a physical level.
3. I think I know what you mean with Sagan's dragon, only I've heard an equivalent by Hawkins. H claimed there's a coffee mug floating in the asteroid belt, but it's impossible to prove or disprove his statement.

Loonyyy said:
Not every concept has to be defined in terms of, accept/reject, but if you must, the scientific, the naturalistic view for unsupported hypothesis, is called the Null Hypothesis. Should a hypothesis present no evidence, it is assumed to be false. That's called being intellectually honest. Should a hypothesis of a God present evidence, it deserves consideration, but otherwise, it deserves dismissal. Not Rejection, since that would require Falsification, but dismissal.
What you're talking about is not dismissal, but scepticism. I am, like you, sceptic towards the concept of higher powers controlling nature and morality, but I'm still not dismissing it entirely. Maybe such powers exist, but not any form mankind has ever described or even can describe. Still, for as long as we find the true answer, the Null Hypothesis holds.

So yeah, you can say I'm a coward, but that's me just trying my best to be wise and careful. The problems with religion might not religion itself. Instead, they seem to have their roots deeply delved into the human psyche. That's what we really should be attacking, our human psyche. We need to question our desires and emotional positions, shaped for a bygone era.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
That <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.354777-Atheists-can-be-real-jerks-sometimes>Atheists are more likely to be jerks than non-Atheists.
*cough*

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
That Australians "throw the shrimp on the barbie". I know it was in an old tourism ad but I have honestly no idea what the flying fuck it even means. I have never thrown a shrimp on a barbecue or seen anybody throw a shrimp onto a barbecue in my entire life of 19 years living in Australia, and no-one has ever used the term before or even since the ad, so... yeah. The bloody hell is that all about mate.

It is common knowledge that kangaroos definitely roam up and down main street Canberra and we all hunt crocodiles for a living with hunting knives strapped to our shins. All Australians are essentially slightly less polite versions of TF2's Sniper. This is pure, unadulterated fact; anyone who attests to the contrary is unpatriotic and provably wrong. Uh, mate.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
The American stereotype for the British, we are not posh wimps. The north of britain needs to be shown in america, some scary places there.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Relish in Chaos said:
The stereotype that all black people like fried chicken just sounds completely ridiculous. I know that most stereotypes are at least partly based on fact
In the US, post-Civil War but before the late 60's, black people tended to be very poor. Fried chicken is a very inexpensive meal, so it became a staple, hence the stereotype.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Starik20X6 said:
I don't get the stereotype about Australia being this apparent Hell-on-Earth full of venomous man-eating monsters. I mean, come on, really?
It's like an RPG fantasy world. You're safe in town, where most of the NPCs live, but if you leave town every few steps there's a random encounter with some horrible monster trying to kill you.

Like giant crocodiles on the beaches. Or lethally poisonous jellyfish. Or the ones that don't kill you, just leave you in agonising pain for days to months. Or giant birds that can disembowel you with a kick. Or giant mammal things that do the same.

The monsters are real, and they will kill you, but if you just drop in on a tourist trip, all you'll probably encounter will be the coconuts, the jellyfish and the kangaroos.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Merrick_HLC said:
New Orleanians being crazy drunken partiers who flash boobies at the drop of a string of beads.

Note: I'm not denying any of that happens IN New Orleans, I'm just saying it's really more tourists who do that crap. xD
It's because that's all the rest of us know about New Orleans besides Cajun food and Katrina.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
That Australians "throw the shrimp on the barbie". I know it was in an old tourism ad but I have honestly no idea what the flying fuck it even means. I have never thrown a shrimp on a barbecue or seen anybody throw a shrimp onto a barbecue in my entire life of 19 years living in Australia, and no-one has ever used the term before or even since the ad, so... yeah. The bloody hell is that all about mate.

It is common knowledge that kangaroos definitely roam up and down main street Canberra and we all hunt crocodiles for a living with hunting knives strapped to our shins. All Australians are essentially slightly less polite versions of TF2's Sniper. This is pure, unadulterated fact; anyone who attests to the contrary is unpatriotic and provably wrong. Uh, mate.
We've gotta be tough, otherwise how the hell would we survive the constant drop bear attacks?!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I'm just gonna throw this in here and you can make of it what you will. This is absolutely true:

I college I had a roommate.
A black guy named Denzel.
Our fridge ALWAYS had the following:
-Orange soda
-"Purple Drink" (which I did not know was a thing before then)
-a watermelon
Our kitchen counter VERY VERY frequently (like every other day) had an empty KFC bucket sitting on it.
I was responsible for NONE of those consumables being in the dorm. That was all Denzel.
Denzel would wake up in the morning and blast gospel music through the dorm apartment.
In the middle of the day there would be rap blasting through his door.
At night there would be R&B
Denzel himself was a very loud person.

Denzel is the reason for the black people stereotype.
He is the most freakishly stereotypical black guy I've ever encountered.

I kid you not.
Like I said, that is completely true.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
That every Australian is a beer swilling, shorts and check shirt wearing bogans, and that we all live in small country towns. Sydney is a city of 4 million people for god sakes, how the hell is that supposed to be a small country town?