Oddworld Creator Accuses EA of "Sabotage"

Electric Gel

Mar 26, 2009
I bought this when it was originally released all of those years ago, and realising it existed was a complete accident. I can't remember seeing a single advert.

It doesn't matter how good a game is, if no one knows about it then no one's going to buy it. The opposites true for shit games with heavy marketing budgets, and is probably the reason why so much chaff does well these days.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
the oddworld games were only good way when they were on ps1 and 2. as soon as they made strangers wrath available only for xbox, it started to suck hard. so shame on them for not marketing it, although i can remember the ads for it, and shame on them for switching it to xbox...

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
If one can handle oldish graphs and somewhat clunky control,
Steam has been selling OW:strangers wrath since last xmas sales and im loving it :3

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
Aw damn, im going to have to buy a PS3 now arnt I :(. The 360 doesnt support my version of strangers wrath from the xbox, the oddworld games (oddysee and exodus) still arnt out on xbla, and hand of odd I really HAVE to get!! Oddworld is the best platforming game (although munchies oddysee sucked a little)

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
I don't have a long glorious gaming heritage, and I've literally never heard of this game before. But your all making it sound worth a look.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Sounds a little bit petty if you ask me. The games have been on PSN for ages so it's not like they've faded into obscurity.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Maxman3002 said:
Aw damn, im going to have to buy a PS3 now arnt I :(. The 360 doesnt support my version of strangers wrath from the xbox, the oddworld games (oddysee and exodus) still arnt out on xbla, and hand of odd I really HAVE to get!! Oddworld is the best platforming game (although munchies oddysee sucked a little)
Actually, I thought that Munch's Oddessy was awesome, considering that Oddworld Inhabitants were forced to go into 3D platforming for the first time with basically no experience with it: it really stayed true to the spirit of Abe's Oddessy and Exodus while being very graphically well-done-- yeah, there were some control issues, and sometimes the story was clunky, but it could've (and by all rights should've) been a complete bag of ass.

Of course, I'm a total fanboy of the series. I bought the Oddbox on Steam and it's one of the best values I've had in a while: $15 and I've already spent more than 30 hours playing those games. (you do have to deal with some old, old, OLD graphics, tho.)

OT: Lanning is kind of an asshole, but he's right about how EA bungled the marketing. SW is a fun game and definitely not just another cookie-cutter platformer or shooter, and if they had put it before the public, I betcha many more gamers would've given it a try.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I left off it because there's no resolution-change.

See, there's this misconception that widescreen gaming is the future. They're wrong. Widescreen gaming is the PRESENT.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, Ea is well known for it's amazingly bad marketing, being completely misleading (I'm looking at you Daed Space 2) or completely lacking.

Stranger's Wrath is an amazing game, I bought it last year at a Steam sale, even though it had a bumpy start, most of the problems were ironed out and I enjoyed every second of it.

lazarus1209

Mar 17, 2011
solidstatemind said:
Actually, I thought that Munch's Oddessy was awesome, considering that Oddworld Inhabitants were forced to go into 3D platforming for the first time with basically no experience with it: it really stayed true to the spirit of Abe's Oddessy and Exodus while being very graphically well-done-- yeah, there were some control issues, and sometimes the story was clunky, but it could've (and by all rights should've) been a complete bag of ass.
I was hoping someone was going to mention Munch's Oddysee, which was the games actual first foray into 3D. I was disappointed by Stranger's Wrath. It was a mediocre game that got high scores for its originality and art design, but the mechanics left a lot to be desired.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Much as I love Oddworld, how about they fix the PC version of Stranger's Wrath first before yelling at old grudges?

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
lazarus1209 said:
solidstatemind said:
I was hoping someone was going to mention Munch's Oddysee, which was the games actual first foray into 3D. I was disappointed by Stranger's Wrath. It was a mediocre game that got high scores for its originality and art design, but the mechanics left a lot to be desired.
Lol yea same here. I brough oddbox on steam and id still buy it on PSN just to have oddysee and exodus in HD :). Played oddysee for about 20hours now though and am still trying to do the scrab temple (done the paramite one). That game is sooooo much harder than I remember :(. Havent even started exodus again untill I complete oddysee

On another note, Munch's oddysee may have been forced into 3D but it didnt have the same atmosphere that oddysee and exodus had and the mechanics of playing as much just seemed a bit strange. Shame they were forced to move to 3D for it as 2D worked so much better for them.

Strangers Wrath was fun but it was a completely different game to the Abe games, cant really be compaired to them as the story, format and genre were completely different. Still prefer abe though and am excited to see if they actually manage Hand of Odd this time round

The only thing better than seing oddworld come back to life would be if bullfrog or trokia got back together and started bringing out their old games for the new format

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
"Sabotage" and "crappy marketing" arent exactly the same thing. I cant see EA deliberately ruining a game to sell less of something - EA like to make money.

All for believing that they buggered up on the marketing though. They're good at community marketing but they're advertising campaign always tends to miss the mark.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
dragongit said:
Valve was smart and realized EA sabotages marketing, thats why they went off and did their own material.
... What?

EA haven't published a single Valve game, and their only links outside of the Steam store are that EA distributes the physical copies of Valve-published games (L4D2, Orange Box and Portal 2 are three examples), whereas Sierra used to publish Valve's titles (Pre-HL2, if my memory serves me correctly) as Valve don't have the facilities to do so.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Well now that he has said his piece it would be really nice if he got back to making that film they where talking about a few years ago // We miss Oddworld& wish to see more of it

-M

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I think I have an old used copy for the Ol' Box, but I'm not plugging in that beast again. An HD remake sounds welcome, though, because the premise is indeed a nice change of pace and it is a shame EA stamped the prospects of Stranger's Wrath out with a closed fist on the marketing budget.

Personally, I see no reason why a publisher would have the stupidity to put in the investment without bothering to advertise properly the final product. Not everyone follows game releases (myself, for instance), so when a game slips under the radar, be it actual advertisements or just positive word of mouth, that's it for a portion of the market.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
FFHAuthor said:
EA sabotaged a popular game...

...also making news, sky is blue.
So disagreeing with a developer about whether or not a game is worth investing marketing dollars in is "sabotage"?

EA published it, right? If it doesn't sell, they don't make money, right? If EA thought it would return more by investing in marketing, they would have done so. They didn't, and so they didn't. If they had been obligated to invest a particular amount in marketing, the developer could have sued for breach of contract. Apparently they weren't, or they would have.

I tend to doubt that many, if any developers, even years after the fact, ever come out and say that what they made was a bad game, that investing in it was a mistake, and that the publisher got taken in by a presentation that oversold the market appeal of a concept and the developer's capacity to bring it to market.

However, there seems no particular shortage of developers who made excellent and revolutionary games that critics love but that don't sell well, and it's the fault of marketing.

I'm not saying Stranger's Wrath wasn't a good game. I honestly have no idea. I'm sure that it sometimes happens that a publisher does not want to take risks that a developer really wants them to take. I just have a hard time categorizing it as 'sabotage'. Publisher and developer interests are not always aligned perfectly, but they are rarely diametrically opposed in the way that the word 'sabotage' suggests. I realize that hating big companies in general and EA in particular is fun and popular, but isn't it ever possible that decisions like these-- right or wrong-- are made for legitimate business reasons and not a desire by people in suits to ruin good games?

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
to put in the investment without bothering to advertise properly the final product. Not everyone follows game releases (myself, for instance), so when a game slips under the radar, be it actual advertisements or just positive word of mouth, that's it for a portion of the market.
There are two reasons for doing so.

One is the concept of "throwing good money after bad". A game might look like a good risk when it gets green-lit. Later, that decision may change: market conditions may be different, the product may not turn out how the publishers expected, management at the publisher may change. The forecast for the game is reduced, and it is estimated that more marketing spending will not make up for the shortfall between the old and new projections. In this case, you release the game and get what you can, but you don't invest more money in it-- you don't throw the "good money" (more new money on marketin) after the "bad money" (the cash invested in development of a project that no longer has a good projection.

The other reason might just be that they believe the product lives in a niche that it will fill, and has no appeal outside that niche no matter how many marketing dollars you throw at it. Properties that have extremely loyal fans, but not mass market appeal, are like this. Think about Firefly and Serenity. I love the show myself, but I can easily see that it's not nearly as easy a sell as many people allege. People would like to think that shows like this fail to get great ratings because of time slots or marketing, when it's just as likely that it got all the fans it was ever going to get, and they do enough evangelizing for the show themselves that money on marketing is wasted.

EA may have reasoned that the market for a new Oddworld game was existing Oddworld fans, and that all that was needed to sell the game to them was for them to be aware of its existence. I think they may have achieved that. You'd have to be able to compare the sales of various games in the franchise over time, on various different platforms, and with various different marketing expenditures, and see whether or not spending more on marketing Oddworld games resulted in higher sales.

Something tells me that whether or not they used it, and however they made their decision, EA probably had access to that information-- and so did the developer.

If the developer's allegation of sabotage was backed up with an assertion that a previous game had higher sales as a percentage of the addressable market with a certain level of marketing expenditure, and that Stranger's Wrath failed to achieve or exceed that mark because it had a proportionally lower marketing expenditure, then I'd be inclined to think they're right.

The claim here seems to be something more along the lines that they think Stranger's Wrath was a better game, and that a better game would of course have sold better, and that since it didn't, the lack of marketing expenditure was at fault. The false assumption here is that good games always sell well; sometimes bad games sell well, and sometimes good games sell poorly, and sometimes marketing expenditures don't influence either situation negatively or positively.