Oddworld Franchise to Stink Up Real-Time Strategy

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Oddworld Franchise to Stink Up Real-Time Strategy

The Oddworld series is moving into a new genre with the revived Oddworld: Hand of Odd.

Maybe it says something awful about me, but the primary aspect of the Oddworld games that really stuck in my mind was the use of flatulence as a gameplay mechanic. When I say the Oddworld franchise is set to "stink up" the real-time strategy genre, I mean it literally. Developer Just Add Water has revealed that the upcoming Oddworld: Hand of Odd will take the creatures from Oddworld and deposit them in an RTS.

Oddworld: Hand of Odd was first announced in 1998, but cancelled a year later. Just Add Water has been working on new Oddworld games that include HD versions of Abe's Oddysee [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103250-Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath-Moseys-Onto-PSN] as a revival of the franchise, and Hand of Odd has been added to the bunch.

Just Add Water managing director Stewart Gilray told Eurogamer that Hand of Odd will be in full 3D and feature gameplay similar to Command & Conquer [http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-4-Tiberian-Twilight-Pc/dp/B002NIP6X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304131421&sr=8-1] combined with the player-friendly mechanics that draw players into titles like Farmville. Players will presumably have control over battalions of Mudokons, Glukkons, Sligs, and other creatures.

The project is still in its early stages, but Just Add Water hopes to bring Hand of Odd to platforms like the iPad, PC, and Mac. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are off the table for now as Just Add Water doesn't feel their interfaces are intuitive enough. War via flatulence does require some precision, so it sounds like Just Add Water is making a smart decision for its customers.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-29-jaw-revives-oddword-hand-of-odd]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oops. I don't feel like buying it for PC. So much for Oddworld. Better luck next time, boys.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
A lost lonely Steef just wandered onto your battlefield looking for a place to fight. Will you ask your friends to find it a battle?

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Console gamers, don't depair. Just Add Water is providing us with yet another HD upgrade of a past Oddworld game. This time? Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. The game is only for Ps3 at this point, but hey, beats a kick in the nuts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-29-oddworld-munchs-oddysee-hd-announced
If you kept reading they are in talks with MS to do both games (Oddworld Munch oddysee and Starnger Wraith) on the 360 as well. They'll probably either up the 2GB of arcade games again to something like 25 or put it on Games on Demand. And MS better let them do it or by god they shall feel my wraith cause Oddworld is my FAVORITE series of all time. OF ALL TIME!

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
I never liked Munch's Oddysee. Never played the Stranger Wrath one.

Seriously making Oddworld an RTS is like making X-Com a generic shooter. Just doesn't fit what I want from the franchise.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh wow, I remember hearing about this game YEARS ago and assuming it was a fake. I guess not. Honestly, as much as I wish to see more Oddworld titles out there, an Oddworld RTS doesn't seem all that great. Not sure if want.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I had both of them on the Xbox, and I'm still not sure about how I feel about them. They were interesting, but I don't actually remember them being fun. Maybe they were just a bit too out there for me.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd cue Music Instructor's "Get Freaky" running through my head for the next hour.

DAMN YOU STRANGE ODDWORLD TIE-INS!

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Oooooh it's got my interest. I loved the first three games and haven't played the fourth but it sounds alright.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
i don't know how, but changing the formula of a storydriven game might not be the best thing to do. worst if the mechanics are simple...

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd cue Music Instructor's "Get Freaky" running through my head for the next hour.

DAMN YOU STRANGE ODDWORLD TIE-INS!

ahahaha yeah i think this could work rts ey hmm.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Orcus The Ultimate said:
i don't know how, but changing the formula of a storydriven game might not be the best thing to do. worst if the mechanics are simple...
Stranger's Wrath changed op the formula completely, and it was a great game. I've got faith in JAW.