Off-Topic Reviews: Devil May Cry series

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Syntax Error said:
NeutralDrow said:
Syntax Error said:
What? No Tatsumarublack? The guy's awesome! One-shotting bosses using Royal Guard left and right! Also, air cancelling is the move you'd really have to master to be able to to some of those flashier moves (the game treats enemies as platforms if you get the positioning right, giving you a few milliseconds' worth of time to make an action).
Never heard of him, actually. The only players I can name are Brea, Kail, and Xarugas (and Heretic, but he did a non-upgraded all SS-rank DMD playthrough, instead). I'll have to look his stuff up.

And yeah, kick-jumping can come in handy (I usually see people doing that with Beowulf to good effect). I can get the timing down, sort of, but I haven't been able to use it more effectively than my ground game, yet. Mostly what impresses me is just how many buttons these players use at once. I swear, I think I've seen someone holding L1 for the DT explosion, while charging Rebellion's Drive attack, while air-canceling Aerial Rave over and over...
You should look at some Virgil combo videos. Enemy goes up, red orbs fall down. Oh, and the default control layout is actually counter-intuitive to doing the massive combos. That's why some people put the Jump and Shoot buttons on a trigger.
Found his (Legendary Dark Slayer), and it's pretty cool-looking. I still prefer Kail's "The Elohim," though.

<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaqdhIy8_tQ&feature=fvw>And part 2.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
That video wins by default for using Karma. Kamelot and two of my three favorite songs from Karma.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I really enjoyed DMC...2 i think it was (it was the one where there were 2 campaigns, one with Dante and one with this other chick). I got about half way through it, but had to return it as it was a friends. Then I played DMC4... Hectic buyers remorse.

XaneTheInsane

Nov 25, 2009
Really good review, I to started with DMC3( wanted to play them in order by story) and I really find you good at explaining details (and also some funny opinions =D )
Also, yes, the Neo Angelo fight really froze me up at the twist. Vergil was my favorite character...
I do wonder what they will do in 5, my guess is on something relating Nero and Vergil (hints from 4 and all)

XaneTheInsane

Nov 25, 2009

<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaqdhIy8_tQ&feature=fvw>And part 2.
Ho Ly Crap, that was amazing

*After reading this review, Xane finally beat bloody palace*
Hurray!

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Syntax Error said:
That video wins by default for using Karma. Kamelot and two of my three favorite songs from Karma.
There's another one of the same player that uses "When the Lights Are Down." I can probably attribute my whole liking of the band to him.

Not my introduction. That would be <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3rfK_uAhaA>this one.

Samurai Goomba said:
I love DMC3. Trickster player here! Cerberus and Beowulf kick some serious demonic rear.
Trickster's probably my favorite, too (right in front of Quicksilver and Swordmaster). There's just something fun about dashing all over the place and running up and along the walls. If Dante's Air Trick teleport was near as good as Vergil's, it'd be absolutely perfect.

I also tend to be conservative with the weapons, myself; Rebellion and E&I, plus any other two (usually Spiral and either Cerberus or Beowulf, yes).

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
I've only played DMC3:SE on a PC, so I wasn't able to be as "artistic" with the moves as I wanted to using the pew pew gun, cuz if you're using a keyboard, you can't jump/dodge while charging it up and moving at the same time. Same goes with Nero's charge blast in DMC4.

I used Trickster mostly as my defensive style. Swordmaster as my main offense, while Gunslinger doesn't get much use. I'm still trying to master Royal Guard, two games in.

And the second I saw "Soul Society" in The Black Halo's track list, I immediately thought that it would be used for a Bleach AMV.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Syntax Error said:
NeutralDrow said:
I've only played DMC3:SE on a PC, so I wasn't able to be as "artistic" with the moves as I wanted to using the pew pew gun, cuz if you're using a keyboard, you can't jump/dodge while charging it up and moving at the same time. Same goes with Nero's charge blast in DMC4.
When cainx mentioned that there was a PC version of DMC4, my eye happened to fall on my Logitech USB controller. Bought it a while ago because Melty Blood is terrible to play on a keyboard, but I think it'll get more use soon...<color=white>soon as I get an external hard drive that can run the game.

I used Trickster mostly as my defensive style. Swordmaster as my main offense, while Gunslinger doesn't get much use. I'm still trying to master Royal Guard, two games in.
Pretty much the same, though I use Gunslinger at least semi-often. As in, whenever I feel tempted to make Spiral and Kalina Ann into even more awesome weapons, or if I want to use Artemis at all (pretty useless outside of the style). Also, Gunstinger is probably my favorite attack in the game.

Trickster is a default, since I love advanced movement options. Also, I just picked DMC3 back up, but I'm still used to 2...meaning I keep trying to dash, only to do Twosome Time or Prop Shredder by accident!

Swordmaster is great for looking awesome, and especially makes Nevan into a terrific weapon. Also, Danse Macabre and Ice Age look really cool.

Royal Guard...I level it up to 3, but I don't tend to use it except when I want to get fancy. I'm still working on timing, and Ultimate Shield isn't as useful as I'd hoped.

Quicksilver is fun to play around with, too. I tend to use Doppelganger either when I want to jut play around, or if I have a friend over.

And the second I saw "Soul Society" in The Black Halo's track list, I immediately thought that it would be used for a Bleach AMV.
That AMV was half the reason I picked up the series in the first place, so you could say it introduced me to both a band and an anime!

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Samurai Goomba said:
I love DMC3. Trickster player here! Cerberus and Beowulf kick some serious demonic rear.
Trickster's probably my favorite, too (right in front of Quicksilver and Swordmaster). There's just something fun about dashing all over the place and running up and along the walls. If Dante's Air Trick teleport was near as good as Vergil's, it'd be absolutely perfect.

I also tend to be conservative with the weapons, myself; Rebellion and E&I, plus any other two (usually Spiral and either Cerberus or Beowulf, yes).
Heh, I didn't even mention that Quicksilver is my "other" style. Air Trick is good, but I prefer that other trick you can earlier with allows an air dash with huge amounts of I-frames. You can easily X->O->Killer Bee. Killer Bee cancels something like 60% of Vergil's (any form) attacks.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I forgot about the Royal Cheese. It's done by jumping then immediately pressing the style button (like a quick sliding motion from jump to style buttons). You can perform an aerial parry 90% of the time with this method (note that this will cancel the jump animation). It abuses the invincibility frame when you initiate a jump to "dodge" the initial attack animation (like when you Quicksilver as an enemy is about to slash you).

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Syntax Error said:
I forgot about the Royal Cheese. It's done by jumping then immediately pressing the style button (like a quick sliding motion from jump to style buttons). You can perform an aerial parry 90% of the time with this method (note that this will cancel the jump animation). It abuses the invincibility frame when you initiate a jump to "dodge" the initial attack animation (like when you Quicksilver as an enemy is about to slash you).
Isn't Guard-canceling a dodge roll supposed to be safer? You can also do it <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5hpo7HHEA&feature=PlayList&p=8335149A0D8952B0&index=5>un-upgraded.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Syntax Error said:
Isn't Guard-canceling a dodge roll supposed to be safer? You can also do it <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5hpo7HHEA&feature=PlayList&p=8335149A0D8952B0&index=5>un-upgraded.
Hey, I didn't know about that. How many invincibility frames does rolling have?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Syntax Error said:
NeutralDrow said:
Syntax Error said:
Hey, I didn't know about that. How many invincibility frames does rolling have?
I was hoping you knew, I don't actually know any frame numbers. I just know roll-parry and jump-parry work on similar principles, and thought I'd heard that one was more effective...but since I can't seem to find where I read it, I might be wrong. I do know it can be done at level 1, for sure.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Yeah, because jump parry requires level 2 RG. Haven't seen some wicked Dante combo vids for DMC4, though. He plays a little like Vergil there, in that you have access to all three weapons and four styles at once (the fourth style is Dark Slayer, where he uses some of Vergil's moves).

XaneTheInsane

Nov 25, 2009
Trickster's probably my favorite, too (right in front of Quicksilver and Swordmaster)
Im going quicksilver all the way, nothing more satisfying than going Dio Brando style on demonic goons.
As for weapons, Rebellion and Cerburus hands down, one fast and one powerful.(Although the glove weapons are still fun in every game in that series)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
XaneTheInsane said:
Trickster's probably my favorite, too (right in front of Quicksilver and Swordmaster)
Im going quicksilver all the way, nothing more satisfying than going Dio Brando style on demonic goons.
Through sheer coincidence, I've actually gotten into the habit of screaming "ZA WARUDO!" whenever I use it, recently.

I can't believe no one's done a video of that, none that I can find at least. It fits so well...

XaneTheInsane

Nov 25, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Through sheer coincidence, I've actually gotten into the habit of screaming "ZA WARUDO!" whenever I use it, recently.

I can't believe no one's done a video of that, none that I can find at least. It fits so well...
Well, actually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsN60MR8j0
There you go.

ErGo

Feb 25, 2009
Great review/retrospective type thing. Whatever it is you pulled it off quite well. I haven't played Devil may Cry 1 nor 2. But 3 was a great game in my opinion.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I had considered doing a review much like this one a while back, though I also planned on including Devil May Cry 4 and my extreme preference of the original game above all the others.

This was very well-written and shorter than I had expected. Well done.