Official SimCity Mod Guidelines Are Highly Restrictive

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
wow, brilliant use of reverse psychology from EA, they don't want people to mod their game so they tell people they can following restrictions so now no one will out of spite. Well done

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
Barbas said:
Well, that's unfortunate news from very shitty people[footnote]EA, not Steve. Steve seems cool.[/footnote]. We await news of the winner of this year's 'Worst Company in America' award with bated breath.
They have bigger dreams ... they want 'Yahtzee' Lifetime award for 'Worst Company in America', they are still totally annoyed that 'Ride to Hell: Retribution' wasn't one of their games.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
This raises a simple set of questions

Can a modder make the game offline single player?
Can a modder take away the city limits and allow us to build all over the map as one big city?

Or do these restrictions.... Restrict that?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So EA is basically daring the 2 or 3 people still playing that wretched always online abomination to try and salvage it for them creatively. Oh dear.

Especially that last clause "We own your creations, suckers".
EA, or anyone at Maxis: I know you aren't reading this...but you do realize that by NOT claiming ownership of the work of modders you can't be held liable for anything they do, right?

Though I suppose that was a foolish question; of course you want to claim ownership of everything that passes through your shitty ass DRM system. That way you can clean house creatively without lifting a finger and legally prosecute anyone who steps on your toes.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
And not a single person, anywhere, was surprised.

R.Nevermore said:
Can a modder make the game offline single player?
Yes. It was done not too long after launch.

Sean Renaud

Apr 12, 2011
Isn't modding something that companies can't stop but for the most part politely ignore? I don't see why. . .well I do but it's like with napster. We're a bunch of theiving whores and get pissy when the people we're robbing get fussy about it.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Wait, so if you make the mod they own it?

What happens if you make something patently illegal, like a pirate copy of naked children making bombs for the KKK or something?

So by their own EULA they own the mod and are thus in possession of something really illegal!
Sure they ban the user, but they still own the mod.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010

Hello, gamers, look at your mods, now back to EA, now back at your mods, now back to me. Sadly, EA is not me, but if EA stopped using evil corporate moves and switched to sane business practices , EA could be popular like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You?re on Steam with the man who treats you as a customer not a drone. What?s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it?s that game you wanted, on sale and with mods! Look again, the games are now on an even steeper sale! Anything is possible when your company cares about your business and not just your money.

I just tried to count to three

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
It sounds like they want their players to make their DLC for them to sell back to their players.

Yeah no thanks.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So in summary:

1. Don't remove the DRM fantastic social features or make the game singleplayer and offline sad and lonely.
2. No dicks
3. Don't mod the game
4. These rules are better than our other rules
5. We're going to take your hard work and creativity, compile it in to a DLC pack a few months from now and call it our own work without giving you a penny, you dirty prole scum. And don't you dare sue us!

Good work EA, I was beginning to think you changed a tiny, little, miniscule bit. Fingers crossed for that Golden Poo hattrick!

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Sounds more like they're shooting for a straight third thorn crown.

Weird.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
major_chaos said:
tmande2nd said:
This is comedy gold. Because I enjoy arguing debating with steam fanboys customers I defy you to name a valve game with meaningful mods that isn't half life. (and no the 8 zillion hats for TF2, CS and DoTA2 don't even remotely count, nor do the shitty player made maps from portal 2 or the zero effort texture swaps that make up 99.99% of the L4D2 workshop)
)
Wow, that really is challenging. So, you want us to name a mod for a valve game that isn't half life, without naming a mod for any other valve games? I think you won.
/sarcasm.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Fractral said:
Wow, that really is challenging. So, you want us to name a mod for a valve game that isn't half life, without naming a mod for any other valve games? I think you won.
/sarcasm.
meaningful is the keyword here. I could make a hat, (and I don't know jack about modding) and it would not improve or change the game in any way. Not to mention that shitty hats/skins fall into the realm of something you could totally do within the guildlines that everyone is complaining about so they are hardly evidence that Valve is so much better.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I will stick to SimCity 4 thank you. You can go have fun with your mini cities, social features and well crafted online experience....

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Oh don't worry about mods compromising the game's "integrity," EA. With draconian rules like that, nobody is going to bother making mods for it in the first place.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Of coarse it iwll be extremely restrictive.
EA needs to make sure that people can't make mods which EA could sells as DLC's. Did anyone honestly believe we would get a modding scene of the SimCity 4 size?
Just because Johnny Macaroni left EA doesn't mean they will change significantly.

major_chaos said:
meaningful is the keyword here. I could make a hat, (and I don't know jack about modding) and it would not improve or change the game in any way. Not to mention that shitty hats/skins fall into the realm of something you could totally do within the guildlines that everyone is complaining about so they are hardly evidence that Valve is so much better.
Well, there is Portal: Prelude. Literally a whole new campaign for Portal 1, which is supposed to be a prequel to Portal.
Also why don't the player maps for Portal 2 count? Explain to me the reasoning behind this.
Do you want to tell me that those maps aren't "meaningful"?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
So basically: "Don't mod our broken game to make it fun, and even if do manage to follow our insane rules your work belongs entirely to us to re-fuck up and resell as overpriced DLC"

Sometimes I think EA is actively trolling gamers...