Official Zelda timeline?

Robert632

May 11, 2009
If there is a split where link fails in OOT, does that mean more splits will occur if Link fails in the other games? I'd hope not. Damn things confusing enough as it is. Though that third spilt makes me wonder about the validity of this.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Tallim said:
Those dern Ninjas, always beating me to the punch.

Anyway, I will always have a hard time understanding the Zelda timeline. Not even the creators could explain it well enough for me to understand.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I like the timeline, especially split 3, since there are so many ways to interpret what it means by Link fails. It could be that he dies, never acts, refuses to help Zelda, gets trapped in the Temple of Time, fights Ganon to a point where neither of them can best the other, or even Link joins Ganon. There are so many ways that could be the way Link fails causing that line.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
madwarper said:
BiH-Kira said:
I am currently looking at this as the real timeline until Miyamoto denies it.
But, that doesn't answer the question of why we even need a timeline in the first place.
Does having a timeline affect the gaming experience of any individual LoZ game? Does is make any LoZ game better than another?

And so, I'm going to look at this list as mere speculation, and the concept of a timeline as meh, until Miyamoto says what is and isn't canon of the universe he created.
Looks like we misunderstood each other.
You are completely right. We/I don't need a timeline at all to enjoy Zelda games. I love them.

But all that thinking about a timeline if one exists is just additional excitement while waiting for the next game. ^^

I just find all the different theories interesting and since everyone has to have an opinion, I think that this one sounds like the most possible one.

One theory said that Majora's Mask actually never happened and that it's all just in Link's head. After Link won against Ganon, he lost Navi. He entered the lost wood to search for her. But as we all know, someone who doesn't have a fairy turns into a Skull Kid if he enters the Lost Woods.

Whole Majora's Mask was just in Links head while turning into a Skull Kid. That's why it's so dark. It also said that the skeleton who teaches you the techniques in Twilight Princess is that Link. The skeleton said he was also a Hero of time. The shield he has looks like the mirror shield in Majora's Mask and if I remember correctly (I'm not 100% sure) you can hear Saria's theme in the background. He is some sort of a skull Kid (I know, far-fetched...).

I know that this theory is probably wrong, but it just amazes me to read all the possibilities that the series brings with its self. Every possible timeline gives us another angle to the series.

To be honest, I hope Miyamoto never reveals the real timeline. The mystery behind it allows for many different and great fan made timelines. Once he reveals the official one, everything will stop being a mystery. It will just be another timeline.
That's why I wrote "until he denies it" in my previous post. I hope he denies it, but doesn't reveal the real one.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Bullshit.

I call such massive bullshit. And I don't even give a damn about any "official" timeline.

It's just... this is, quite literally, impossible.

The Link in Four Swords Adventures is the same Link in the original Four Swords. It's basically outright stated, if I remember correctly. And from what I've seen, that's what most people say.

So yeah. Bullshit. If you could find a more official source for this, as well as a source that such a book exists? I'll be looking for one myself, but I figured if two people search, we can put the nail on the coffin sooner rather than later.

EDIT:

Not to mention that the Link in Link's Awakening is supposed to be the same one from A Link to the Past. Seriously, who came up with this crap? At the end of ALttP, Link has the Triforce and wishes that the Master Sword is put to rest... forever. You can get the Master Sword in either of the Oracles games (depending on which you play first). What, is that a non-canonical item in the game, or did Link just go "oh, wait, nevermind"?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
So yeah. Bullshit. If you could find a more official source for this, as well as a source that such a book exists? I'll be looking for one myself, but I figured if two people search, we can put the nail on the coffin sooner rather than later.
Here is the source that such book exists.
http://mynintendonews.com/2011/12/15/nintendo-is-releasing-a-gorgeous-zelda-art-book/
http://kotaku.com/5868322/nintendo-releasing-a-lovely-zelda-art-book/gallery/1

Quoting the site
So far only Japanese language and release details are known, the book due out on Dec. 21 and priced at ¥3255 (USD$41).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
Nintendo's new Legend of Zelda book titled Hyrule Historia has revealed The Legend of Zelda timeline that fans have been struggling to comprehend for years. Kotaku and the Official Nintendo Magazine are confident that this is the official timeline, but Nintendo may decide to say that this isn't the super secret timeline that they've been guarding for all these years. What do you think?

Main Timeline
1. Skyward Sword
2. Minish Cap
3. Four Swords
4. Ocarina Of Time

Split 1: Link defeats Ganon ? childhood branch
a) Majora's Mask
b) Twilight Princess
c) Four Swords Adventures

Split 2: Link defeats Ganon ? adult branch
a) Wind Waker
b) Phantom Hourglass
c) Spirit Tracks

Split 3: Link fails in Ocarina Of Time
a) A Link To The Past
b) Oracles
c) Link's Awakening
d) The Legend Of Zelda
e) The Legend Of Zelda II
(source) [http://mynintendonews.com/2011/12/21/heres-the-legend-of-zelda-timeline]

I was reading MyNintendoNews [http://mynintendonews.com/2011/12/21/heres-the-legend-of-zelda-timeline] and found this interesting article.
Now that I've read it, this actually makes sense and almost everything fits perfectly.

Also, the split 3 made me happy and sad at the same time. It explained the plot holes between all the titles, but it also means that Ganondorf wins.

What do you guys think?
I know nothing about zelda..but what does the "split" mean? a different dimension? time travel?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
ZeroMachine said:
Here is the source that such book exists.
http://mynintendonews.com/2011/12/15/nintendo-is-releasing-a-gorgeous-zelda-art-book/
http://kotaku.com/5868322/nintendo-releasing-a-lovely-zelda-art-book/gallery/1

Quoting the site
So far only Japanese language and release details are known, the book due out on Dec. 21 and priced at ¥3255 (USD$41).
Alright, fair enough. But where in it did they get the timeline? Or is it all just guess work on early and sketchy translations?

Not to mention another example of a "series encyclopedia"... the Halo Encyclopedia, from what I've read about it, has TONS of errors in regards to established canon. About three reissues later, it's still filled with mistakes.

So... yeah. I'm going to wait until we have a more official translation before I cave and admit it's official.

... And then I'm going to pleasantly ignore it. Because I don't like it in the slightest bit. I have my own timeline. I always felt like that's what people were supposed to do...

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Ok, a couple months ago a friend and I were arguing over the Zelda timeline, but neither of us would have expected this answer.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
<spoiler=Why there will never be an Official Zelda Timeline>http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/halolz-dot-com-legendofzelda-missinglink.jpg

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Vault101 said:
BiH-Kira said:
I know nothing about zelda..but what does the "split" mean? a different dimension? time travel?
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time involved time traveling.
One the young Link got the Master Sword, one of the 7 wise sealed his soul and body for 7 years so that he will be able to wield the sword.

You win the game as the adult Link.
Now at the end of the game Zelda sends you back in time to relive those lost 7 years. That is where the spited time lines appear.

The first one is where Link goes back in time, knowing the truth about Ganondorf's intentions and prevents his plan from happening.

The second one is with the adult Link. I'm not really sure my self, but it has something to do with a time traveling paradox. The adult Link who had to kill Ganandord wasn't there because Zelda sent him back in time. Link didn't exist in that timeline. So when Ganondorf conquered Hyrule, the Goddesses flooded it to prevent the evil from spreading. That's why the next game in that timeline (Wind Waker) is on small islands and a vast ocean.

The third split is one that I've read for the first time on the article I linked.
It's a timeline where Link actually failed. I don't really know what they mean by fail. There are several options. Link, died, he didn't even try, he tried but couldn't solve some puzzle, the Temple of Time didn't grant him entrance to the Master Sword... I don't know. He simply failed and Ganondorf wins.

@zerobudgetgamer
I love how he was stabbed by the Master Sword.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So wait, Link can fail in defeating Ganondorf in OOT? I guess that explains why he looks like a pig in the games in the Split 3 list.

I was also confused at first two split lists. But then I remembered Link was sent back to his own time after beating Ganondorf in OOT. So I guess it makes sense that the timeline with Adult Zelda would still exist.

I have yet to play Wind Waker though. So I'm not sure what happened that caused the entire world in that game to be flooded.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Having 3 splits instead of two does clear up a lot of plot contradictions, but "Link fails" is a bit too vague an explanation for the third timeline. I'm going to wait until this book's official English release before I make any judgments.

Also, it's a popular theory that Minish Cap and Four Swords take place before Ocarina of Time, but there's almost no evidence that supports that idea. Again, I'll (maybe) believe it when I see it for myself. As I recall, the "official" Metroid timeline that Nintendo Power published was full of holes, so I regard this with a combination of healthy skepticism and an open mind.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
Vault101 said:
BiH-Kira said:
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time involved time traveling.
One the young Link got the Master Sword, one of the 7 wise sealed his soul and body for 7 years so that he will be able to wield the sword.

You win the game as the adult Link.
Now at the end of the game Zelda sends you back in time to relive those lost 7 years. That is where the spited time lines appear.

The first one is where Link goes back in time, knowing the truth about Ganondorf's intentions and prevents his plan from happening.

The second one is with the adult Link. I'm not really sure my self, but it has something to do with a time traveling paradox. The adult Link who had to kill Ganandord wasn't there because Zelda sent him back in time. Link didn't exist in that timeline. So when Ganondorf conquered Hyrule, the Goddesses flooded it to prevent the evil from spreading. That's why the next game in that timeline (Wind Waker) is on small islands and a vast ocean.

The third split is one that I've read for the first time on the article I linked.
It's a timeline where Link actually failed. I don't really know what they mean by fail. There are several options. Link, died, he didn't even try, he tried but couldn't solve some puzzle, the Temple of Time didn't grant him entrance to the Master Sword... I don't know. He simply failed and Ganondorf wins.

@zerobudgetgamer
I love how he was stabbed by the Master Sword.
thankyou..that was very helpful (and interesting)

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
madwarper said:
If you have access to all Zelda games and need an order to play them in, do it in the order they were made.
You could say that about the Metal Gear series, but you wouldn't be playing them canonically. :s(I think someone established a clear canon, though. Haven't looked too much into Metal Gear so I can't say 100%)

Shockolate said:
I feel this is necessary:

http://www.dorkly.com/comic/28141/the-legend-of-zelda-the-missing-link
Am I the only one that looks at Miyamoto in that comic and thinks, Happy Mask Salesman?

OT: I fail to see a reason to believe this until Miyamoto himself tells us what the official timeline is.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Revolutionaryloser said:
And if Link failed to seal Ganon, why do they call him the Hero of Time? I mean, who makes a legend about a great warrior who failed at his only task? and how did that legend survive for so long?
None of the games in Split 3 refer to the Hero of Time, so the contradiction you're pointing out simply doesn't exist.

However, I have one: the opening of A Link to the Past essentially states that Ganon was sealed by the Seven Sages, doesn't it? That means that, logically, it takes place after OoT Adult Link's victory, placing the game firmly in Split 2, not Split 3.