Oh god, not the Origin thread again.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
For those of you not aware, Mass Effect 3 came out today in the EU. I'm not going to complain about the ludicrous nature of having a delayed non-US release - since every other game/film/TV show produced/distributed by an American company follows this policy. Its foolhardy, but then UK based ones release here before Europe or the rest of the world, so I guess its not going to change any time soon.

Anyway, it's out now, and I wanted to get my hands on the physical copy - I'm weird I know. If I wanted it for the consoles I'd have been fine, there was a store in my home city that offers it (But only for the PS3 apparently.) Sadly I wanted to have the PC version, because I wanted to continue the story I had already played though in ME1 and ME2. Nowhere in this city stocks it... ..fine, off to Stea... ..oh bugger you with a sandpaper condom EA. Off to an alternative online retailer!

Impulse: "THIS GAME IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION!!!!!11"
Yep, can't tell Gamestop's bought Impulse out at all.

Gamer's Gate: "Mass Effect 3? Certainly Sir, that will be £35, or £50 for the collect... ..sir? Oh my, is their a doctor in the house?"
After recovering from the myocardial infarction, and selecting the standard edition, I buy the game and download the installer. All's well with the world... ..well bar the anal bleeding from having that much money extracted in one go.

One quick download later and I start the installer, no troubles so far.. ...10GB download? Well it's a big game, and hey, at least I'm downloading the whole game directly from GG rather than EA's servers! Some time passed, peacefully and without complaint, and the download was finished.

Installer: "Install EA Origin!"
*Grumbles of annoyed compliance having known this would come.*

The Origin installer manages to work without eating my soul, throwing a fit or selling all of my details to the wives of dead Nigerian princes/oil tycoons/morally bankrupt bankers. Signed into my old EA account, after spending ten minutes working out the password, and am greeted with a box to activate ME3. No prob, just copy paste from GG's page... ..there we g*ERROR YOU MUST BE A CRIMINAL SINCE CLEARLY THAT IS NOT AN ME3 CODE!!!* ..back a page, put it in agai*ERROR YOU MUST BE A CRIMINAL SINCE THAT ME3 CODE HAS ALREADY BEEN USED! CONFESS!!!* ..fuck this.

Close the Spanish Inquisition box and go to the main Origin interface.. ...wow, my eye's aren't bleeding, EA's finally stopped getting their UI design done by the same toddler's group that did XP Luna. Ok, ME3 is there, and it says it's ready to download, ok I'll just d... ..wait, why did I have to download that 10GB file if... ..oh fuck you EA. Downloading again, but this time instead of hitting 1.5MBps I'm getting 0.5MBps.

Ok, while this is dawdling along let's have a closer look at the settings and interface. Hum, default settings want be to share everything, turn that off... ..and that, yep that too... ..ok, all done fixing that. Wait... ..why can't I close this sidebar? No, I don't want to find friends, I want to close this side bar... ..oh bugger it. Hum, wonder what their store is lik*PAGE CANNOT LOAD BECAUSE WE ARE SO POPULAR!!!* ..fine, wasn't really interested anyway, ok let's check out the help files in case there are known is*Blank* ..hum, taking a while to load... *STILL BLANK* ..wait... ..the help files are stored online? Which retard thought that was a good idea? Uhg, and I bet they have a page about connection issues and an explanation of server overloading - ON THEIR SERVER!

In conclusion, and sitting at 19%, my experience of EA's Origin so far is actually slightly less unpleasant than the one I had when I first used Steam. Ah HL2, how I cried with rage at Steam when you first came out and their first update broke it on my computer of the time. On the other hand Steam has spent the last 8 years apologising, giving me Portal and actually making Mr Anti Social like a social communication platform. Call me sceptical, or simply biased, but I can't quite see Origin worming its way into my heart the way Steam has... ..not that I don't still curse Steam on occasion, but usually its when the chat server randomly disconnects rather than when the client decides it won't even open it's help files if it can't connect to its server.

Sorry for this incoherent ramble, but ranting at the internet is slightly better for your liver than the alternative method most people use for dealing with bureaucratic hoop jumping sessions. And, come to think of it, achieves about the same amount of change - with considerably less vomit.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I just bought it through Origin, downloaded it, and clicked play. Then it worked.

Wait... it actually worked? Yep. Still there.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
TheKasp said:
Draech said:
EA has no problem putting their games on Steam. Just look at kingdoms of amalur
Heh, I love your example because this game is not owned by EA. Kingodms of Amalur is published in retail by EA and nothing more, on Steam there is no word of EA.
Seriously? So if I buy it on steam none of the money goes to EA? I don't have to buy from the devil?

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Draech said:
But at least steam gets a bit of friendly competition (eventually).
I disagree for two reasons:

1) Steam already has to compete with piracy. That's why the prices are so low, and the service is so efficient, because as Gabe Newell said piracy is a service issue, and valve competes with piracy by offering better service.

2) EA isn't trying to fight steam through market competition, they are fighting them with monopoly tactics. "Origin is the only place to get Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3" has no effect on improving steam through competition. Now, if EA sold BF3 and ME3 on Origin for lower prices than those games go for on steam, that would be market competition.

To summarize, Steam already has to compete with piracy, which does more to keep prices low and service quality high than competing with EA ever will. Furthermore, Origin's main tactic for "competing" with Steam is to exert the monopoly it has over EA owned sequels (BF3, ME3, and even TOR was a kind of KoTOR3). Origin does not offer any compelling reason to use it other than "this is the only way you can complete the game series that you started playing years ago."

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
80Maxwell08 said:
TheKasp said:
Draech said:
Heh, I love your example because this game is not owned by EA. Kingodms of Amalur is published in retail by EA and nothing more, on Steam there is no word of EA.
Seriously? So if I buy it on steam none of the money goes to EA? I don't have to buy from the devil?
Correct!

It's a pretty good game too.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
isometry said:
Draech said:
But at least steam gets a bit of friendly competition (eventually).
I disagree for two reasons:

1) Steam already has to compete with piracy. That's why the prices are so low, and the service is so efficient, because as Gabe Newell said piracy is a service issue, and valve competes with piracy by offering better service.

2) EA isn't trying to fight steam through market competition, they are fighting them with monopoly tactics. "Origin is the only place to get Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3" has no effect on improving steam through competition. Now, if EA sold BF3 and ME3 on Origin for lower prices than those games go for on steam, that would be market competition.

To summarize, Steam already has to compete with piracy, which does more to keep prices low and service quality high than competing with EA ever will. Furthermore, Origin's main tactic for "competing" with Steam is to exert the monopoly it has over EA owned sequels (BF3, ME3, and even TOR was a kind of KoTOR3). Origin does not offer any compelling reason to use it other than "this is the only way you can complete the game series that you started playing years ago."
not to but into your argument, but you don't need Origin to play ToR :) anyway, as you where

OT: >.> <.< *points to the quote* that, Origin will never be as good as steam because of the people running the service, when EA starts care about the customer over money, THEN and only then will it improve

Laice

Apr 16, 2008
So Mass Effect 3 releases on Origin. Less People buy it, more people pirate it. Steam never see sales, Bioware lose the sales they could have had, PC gaming once again takes a punch to the face, as people turn to a sort of DRM-less alternative. (Even if they still need an origin account to play multiplayer on a CONSOLE)

No one wins out of this.

Just another case of a game company overextending and throwing it's weight around.
The Metacritic rating says it all really, User score for PC 3.4 at the moment of writing.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
GoaThief said:
80Maxwell08 said:
TheKasp said:
Draech said:
Correct!

It's a pretty good game too.
Sweet in that case I might buy it later. That is if I can even get the demo working.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
You already downloaded the game files from the place you bought it from?

Piss that origin shit off and download the crack, than.
No more dealing with Satan (also known as Lucifer, The Devil and/or Electronic Arts).

Laice

Apr 16, 2008
madster11 said:

No more dealing with Satan (also known as Lucifer, The Devil and/or Electronic Arts).
I Call EA "TDOGS"

The Destroyer Of Game Studios

R.I.P bullfrog
R.I.P westwood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

If you can't beat em. buy the company out.

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
Laice said:
madster11 said:

I Call EA "TDOGS"

R.I.P bullfrog
R.I.P westwood

Headline of December 21, 2012: EA Buys Valve

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Laice said:
madster11 said:

I Call EA "TDOGS"

R.I.P bullfrog
R.I.P westwood

Pandemic, sir, Pandemic.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Grey Walker said:
Laice said:
madster11 said:

I Call EA "TDOGS"

R.I.P bullfrog
R.I.P westwood

I would throw my computer in the trash and then myself out the window.

On topic: I'm more of a console gamer, but have been buying fewer EA games in general because of their policies and the fact that many of their games have horrible support (looking at you, DICE, etc).

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Grey Walker said:
Laice said:
madster11 said:

I Call EA "TDOGS"

R.I.P bullfrog
R.I.P westwood

Hmmm, thats the day I become an assassin... EA Will know true pain >:3