Oh...My...God...someone has just jailbroken the PS3

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
And it only took him what,2-3 years.Yeah,that's time well wasted.Time that he could have been using to contribute to society.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
So, uh, it's a good thing?

Companies can't just monopolize the shit out of their products?

Hell, that guy's a fucking hero.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
The News Room actually ran this story a few months ago.

OT: Nothing is hackproof.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
RanD00M said:
And it only took him what,2-3 years.Yeah,that's time well wasted.Time that he could have been using to contribute to society.
he's contributing to his society. In his circles, it's like Leonardo Da Vinci producing the Last Supper

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
RanD00M said:
Contribute to society? Hah.

What he did was fight against monopoly and to some extent capitalism. Some people might disagree, but it's as worthy cause as any other.

I love when people throw in the whole "contribute society" shit. What society? Contribute how? Helping children in Africa? Hah. There's more to contribution then saving people who are going to be dead within decades anyways. Ideas live forever.

And in case you haven't noticed quite a few people might have the problem with what you might call "our society", and they've got fairly good claims on it too. Is working on creating your own society a bad investment of your time

Help society by actually creating something new. Don't be a drone.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
kiwi_poo said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Julianking93 said:
Sorry but what the hell does Jailbroken mean?
delta4062 said:
Is Jailbroken a new term for Hacked or something?
It basically means that you can run any software on the machine, in stead of just the software authorized by Sony.
why not buy a computer?
because you can also run legit/cracked PS3 games on it.

Duh.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
I thought he did this back in January or something. It won't really matter anyway since people are less likely to buy expensive blu-ray disks to burn their illegal games on I think.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
TheDuckbunny said:
I thought he did this back in January or something. It won't really matter anyway since people are less likely to buy expensive blu-ray disks to burn their illegal games on I think.
the bluray discs aren't even the problem.. it's the downloading 20-30gb for a game.. Most people's ISPs won't appreciate that.. Sure, some people have their ISP under their thumb, but for most people, it's still a one sided power relationship with the ISP holding all of the cards.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
ColdStorage said:
Funny thing is, in order for it to work, you need to physically open your PS3 up.
Which violates contracts people sign, signature, or click "I Agree" on before they use or install or operate things.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
ColdStorage said:
ShrapnelHound said:
sony are just going to retaliate with a new update and we will have the moaning like the OS removal. why bother!!!
This is the reason the OS was removed in the first place, this actual "hack", notice the Kotaku article date... its in January.
And the Escapist had a news post about that around that time if I remember correctly.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
Honestly, I don't really care. I'm a Xbox/Wii person. It won't really affect me. It bugs me when people do and then try to show it off to everybody who didn't do it though.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
That's stupid, now when the cops catch them the PS3 will get a longer jail sentence.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
So what? Can people pirate ps3 games or something now?
I think i'd prefer a console without stuff like that thanks :c

The reason the psp doesn't have trophies and stuff is because people go crazy with hacking on it, I'd rather not see people cheating to get trophies on the ps3 or else they'll be rendered completely useless. Not that i'm a trophy whore or anything, it's just a nice thing to have :/

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
ColdStorage said:
Funny thing is, in order for it to work, you need to physically open your PS3 up.
Which violates contracts people sign, signature, or click "I Agree" on before they use or install or operate things.
I think trying to run pirated code or software pretty much seals the deal on whether that person is going to violate terms of conditions.

I think its pretty amazing that Sony managed to make the PS3 so tough to hack that you actually need to open the beast up before you can do anything "dodgy" on it.

A story for another day would be that sales of a console are propotional to how easy it is to hack amongst the hardcore.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Anarchemitis said:
ColdStorage said:
I think trying to run pirated code or software pretty much seals the deal on whether that person is going to violate terms of conditions.

I think its pretty amazing that Sony managed to make the PS3 so tough to hack that you actually need to open the beast up before you can do anything "dodgy" on it.

A story for another day would be that sales of a console are propotional to how easy it is to hack amongst the hardcore.
the best way to hack a 360 involves removing the DVD drive, or at least opening it to the point where you can connect its DVD drive to a computer.