Oh no, look out behind you!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
October is cancelled due to the pandemic.

No parties, no trick or treating, no haunted houses or mazes. What's the point? :(

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
October is cancelled due to the pandemic.

No parties, no trick or treating, no haunted houses or mazes. What's the point? :(
It's a good excuse to buy candy for yourself? To watch cheesy "Halloween" flicks like Rocky Horror Picture Show, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Arsenic and Old Lace (a personal favorite)? Share autumnal recipes with the forums in the Escapist Cookbook thread?

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I thought teens were just dressing up as ghosts.. though then people confusing them with KKK caused a bit of turbulence.. There is nothing saying people can't dress up anyways, just preferably not as KKK.

This guy made a social distancing candy chute for kids. It is cool when people go out of their way to make things special for the kids though:

People should still decorate and they can leave candy out for kids randomly during the month and leave a sign out telling them to take one! Someone made a " candy tree" with candies tied to it and a sign when they were away during October one year, gave their neighbor some candy and asked their kids to tie it on for them, I don't see why that wouldn't work for this fall as well. Kids will love you for it!
Just take a spooky tree or skeletons or whatever you want and tie candies on it daily during October.
They had something like this but bigger:

The easiest way is to get Christmas hooks and attach the candy to the tree with those or you can just thread a string and tie it that way.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
It's a good excuse to buy candy for yourself? To watch cheesy "Halloween" flicks like Rocky Horror Picture Show, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Arsenic and Old Lace (a personal favorite)? Share autumnal recipes with the forums in the Escapist Cookbook thread?
People can video conference while all watching the same horror movie. Play a horror game together..

Me personally, I have people here so it is far from being lonely. In fact, I would actually LOVE to be lonely sometime since I can't even remember the last time I actually had time alone for myself. I don't even get privacy while in the bath due to my breathing problems making it necessary to have the door open so I don't die in there. So Cats and the people here with me just walk in and annoy me at will while bathing too. Those who have time alone REALLY do not know how good they have it. Just imagine people asking you questions while you're in the tub and/or shower too?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
These lower risk activities can be safe alternatives:

• Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them
  • Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends
  • Decorating your house, apartment, or living space
  • Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children are given lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while they walk outdoors from house to house admiring Halloween decorations at a distance
  • Having a virtual Halloween costume contest
  • Having a Halloween movie night with people you live with
  • Having a scavenger hunt-style trick-or-treat search with your household members in or around your home rather than going house to house

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, not big on Halloween in Australia.

Course, where I live, covid has been kept mostly under control, so people can still do things, with precautions.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Eh, not big on Halloween in Australia.

Course, where I live, covid has been kept mostly under control, so people can still do things, with precautions.
I was never really big on halloween either, even as a kid. as an adult, for years i've had zero investment in it. then I got a cluster of god daughters, and it became very fun to watch their mom dress them up in costumes, and follow them around while they play creepy dressup. Plus it was fun for me to go around dressed up goofily with them, as it was always fun to watch them laugh at my antics, and plus I have like zero issue with making a fool of myself if it means others will be amused.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It is fun to dress up and party, especially with a handy excuse to go all gothic. I've got loadsa home-grown pumpkins sitting around ready for, umm, eatums and pie too. Horror pie of course. This year will just be an extension of the last few years exitential dread though. That's where the real scares nestle. Fuck the ouija boards, ghost hunts and horror films...all child's play, i tells ya! I'm sitting at home in full drag for a whole night of world and local news, binging whiskey, class A drugs and kittens. Horror kittens of course. And if any group of bastard children come knocking, I'm calling the police on the disease-enabling runts.

Last edited:

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Never liked Halloween. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever when I was 6. Day of the Dead is much more meaningful. But right now it looks like lots of people are just doing Halloween stuff to keep their minds of from the plandemic.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Never liked Halloween. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever when I was 6. Day of the Dead is much more meaningful. But right now it looks like lots of people are just doing Halloween stuff to keep their minds of from the plandemic.
Why would you hate Halloween?! What sort of torture did they inflict upon you for you to not love Halloween?! You never put fake blood over yourself as a kid and laid on the side of the road making people stop and freak out?! You never came home and changed 10 times to just retrick or treat the lawyers house over and over again who was giving out money?!Did you not tell the little kids down the road that you were burying dead bodies under the house when they heard/ saw your family replacing the floors? Frighten them with scary stories so they ran home screaming at the top of their lungs? Grab all the pumpkins you could find and throw them at the houses who didn't have treats?! How could someone survive childhood without all of these wonderful joys?! Halloween was one of my favorite holidays, you get to cosplay and not get strange looks for it and go around while people give you candy and money for FREE! How could that be bad?!

Reactions: happyninja42

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Why would you hate Halloween?! What sort of torture did they inflict upon you for you to not love Halloween?! You never put fake blood over yourself as a kid and laid on the side of the road making people stop and freak out?! You never came home and changed 10 times to just retrick or treat the lawyers house over and over again who was giving out money?!Did you not tell the little kids down the road that you were burying dead bodies under the house when they heard/ saw your family replacing the floors? Frighten them with scary stories so they ran home screaming at the top of their lungs? Grab all the pumpkins you could find and throw them at the houses who didn't have treats?! How could someone survive childhood without all of these wonderful joys?! Halloween was one of my favorite holidays, you get to cosplay and not get strange looks for it and go around while people give you candy and money for FREE! How could that be bad?!
I was 6 and dressed as ninja. I thought I HAD to do it and didn't realize there was a choice. I don't like most murican candy since it doesn't use real sugar, unlike Mexican candy. The whole thing just looked like a giant waste of time and money with most people wearing crappy costumes. I'm more into Dia de los Muertos, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It was just weird for me to ask strangers for candy when everyone repeastedly told me that's how they kidnap children.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
SPOOKY!!!!!!!

This year is mostly ruined due to outside influences but whatchagonnado?

Sucks cause Halloween is honestly my favorite holiday but with my own shit going on and then COVID kind of ruining thoughts of parties or Trick or Treating (very curious to see how many kids will actually show up this year, my porch light will be on for them but it wouldn't shock me if the numbers plummeted from last year), Halloween in general is just kind of in a pit of sadness this year.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I was 6 and dressed as ninja. I thought I HAD to do it and didn't realize there was a choice. I don't like most murican candy since it doesn't use real sugar, unlike Mexican candy. The whole thing just looked like a giant waste of time and money with most people wearing crappy costumes. I'm more into Dia de los Muertos, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It was just weird for me to ask strangers for candy when everyone repeastedly told me that's how they kidnap children.
A lot of people here give out Mexican candy too. We didn't eat MOST the candy, I am pretty picky and only like a few types, instead we used candy like money for the rich Christian kids whose parents wouldn't let them do Halloween because they thought it was evil and they didn't want their kids ruining their teeth and getting all sugared up so the rich kids were willing to pay big for Halloween candy.. LOL I used to sell all sorts of crap at school when I was kid.. They bought everything off me from light up jewelry, candy, cokes.. Halloween was a cash cow for me. Kids here even dress up all the way through Highschool.

It is funny though I think the way you describe it is how my neighbor's from Belgium 4 year old daughter felt about it too. On Halloween, at my house before I sold it, she was dressed as a unicorn and was all ready to go trick or treating with her brothers and her parents and as soon as she came out and trick or treated one house she ran away from them and ran in my open door and hid under my kitchen table. I didn't even realize she was there at first when they came chasing her. She decided she was staying at my house instead while they took her brothers trick or treating and I calmed her down a bit but she still really had no interest in seeing all the monsters coming to the door to get candy so she sat in my living room most the night watching kids shows/ movies eating popcorn and seemed happier with that.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
SPOOKY!!!!!!!

This year is mostly ruined due to outside influences but whatchagonnado?

Sucks cause Halloween is honestly my favorite holiday but with my own shit going on and then COVID kind of ruining thoughts of parties or Trick or Treating (very curious to see how many kids will actually show up this year, my porch light will be on for them but it wouldn't shock me if the numbers plummeted from last year), Halloween in general is just kind of in a pit of sadness this year.
We can always decorate and just randomly put out skeletons or a spooky tree with candy tied on and a sign that says " take one" throughout the entire month though. That way kids can still social distance and it will still be fun to them. Not the masses in the streets like usual, but not having nothing at all happen in October. It was always my favorite holiday too growing up I would hate for the kids to have nothing going on. Hopefully people can still figure out how to make it fun.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
You never came home and changed 10 times to just retrick or treat the lawyers house over and over again who was giving out money?!
You had a lawyer that gave out money?? Best we had was the dentist who was giving out full size candy bars! Don't get me wrong, we loved him for it, but still, candy vs money...

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You had a lawyer that gave out money?? Best we had was the dentist who was giving out full size candy bars! Don't get me wrong, we loved him for it, but still, candy vs money...
Yes and to make it better, when we ran him out of $1 bills he started handing out $5's and $10's until he finally turned off the lights and stopped answering the door. XD
To me though, candy was $ too.. I sold it at school to the kids whose parents wouldn't let them trick or treat. The money straight up though was less work for a lot more $.. :D

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I grew up in low income neighborhoods, where there were only like 5 houses doing Halloween and giving out candy. Most people would drive to other wealthy neighborhoods so their kids can have fun. I guess that's part of the reason why I didn't care for it since I saw it as a hassle to dress up and have your parents drive you.