Ok, so I have heard you all talking about this game Minecraft...

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Well, I am considering giving it a try, some of my friends play it and I saw a tiny bit of gameplay. So, fellow Escapists, what exactly is Minecraft? Could you all summarize the basics to the best of your ability? And do you recommend me to play it?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
You mine. Then you craft...No I'm not messing with you. That is literally all you do. You build structures out of materials you gather and when nightfall comes, hope the zombies don't get you. (of course there are zombies, what game nowadays doesn't have zombies?)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I tinkered around with it one night.

I look at it like playing legos with an actual purpose.

I didnt get around to playing the game play and tinkered around only with the building mechanics.

It well might be good, but It didnt interest me that much personally.

Basic premise is, youve got a short time to build up a defense against NPCs that will try to kill you. You get a lot of freedom on how you create obsticals to prevent them from getting to you.

Its interesting, but I think it needs to make it out of beta and have the project be finalized.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
You mine. Then you craft...No I'm not messing with you. That is literally all you do. You build structures out of materials you gather and when nightfall comes, hope the zombies don't get you. (of course there are zombies, what game nowadays doesn't have zombies?)
Okay, so I saw a penny-arcade strip about this game and that's basically what it said, too. Now, I'm curious, how do the zombies get you? Do they try to break in your doors or something? Can you fend them off somehow?

I'm really just asking out of perverse curiosity. I have no intention of playing it, but the idea sounds unique. -ish.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
It's brilliant, that's what it is. Too bad you missed the free weekend. But it's seriously worth the insignificant price. I mostly play it for exploration without the enemies. Finding an underground cavern filled with water the size of a city is quite breath-taking.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I always seem to be at least a quarter mile behind the current fads. That applies to this one as well. I've watched quite a few videos about this and it seems to just be legos. And that is what I want out of my life.

Defyant

Apr 6, 2008
Saltyk said:
yeah, you can get swords, bows and other assorted shit. they cant open doors, they cant break anything, they'll just constantly look for a way to find you. there's also creepers (exploding green penises), spiders, skeletons with bows, skeletons that ride spiders, pigs, cows, chickens(that look like ducks) and sheep.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
I know this seems like a dumb question but i cant seem to find how much it is(American Dollars) on the website?

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
I would like to try it, but apparently I can't play the alpha unless I buy it... I might if I ever get the money.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Legostalkerrowind is addictive, if you have a family, partner, job or deadline, get rid of them first.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
This seems like a good time to ask if the Escapist has a Minecraft server and, if so, how to find it.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
its really addictive, at first your just like ok what am i doing but you will get into it real quick and be playing at and pimping out your layer like crazy.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
It's best played online, if you can find a good server it's almost like being in a massive RPG like Daggerfall, but with no quests or NPCs.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Defyant said:
Saltyk said:
yeah, you can get swords, bows and other assorted shit. they cant open doors, they cant break anything, they'll just constantly look for a way to find you. there's also creepers (exploding green penises), spiders, skeletons with bows, skeletons that ride spiders, pigs, cows, chickens(that look like ducks) and sheep.
Kewl. Thanks for the info. That sounds like a game that could easily get addictive.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
DEAR EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD SAYING YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PURCHASE IT: I think MineCraft is having a "Free Weekend" right no (it is going on a week now). Go DL it and enjoy if it still is happening.

I also can explain most things in MC. Except Redstone circuits, I don't mess with those.