Okay, a question to you all regarding July 4th

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
RicoGrey said:
How about you stop trying to tear down George Washington, and we won't bring up Winston Churchill's many many faults. Such as being insane and an alcoholic.

It's well known through out the USA that the statue of liberty was a joint effort with the french, to symbolize the freedom and also "UNITY" of our two nations.

Why america has a case of francophobia I do not know, the best I can come up with, from my very brief research is that we hate them because we think they hate us. The french probably feel the same way.
The French really do hate us. It solidified after WWII but the roots of it go back further. While the British enjoy a "special relationship" as America's #2, the French view themselves as a necessary counterweight to American power in the free world. I'm trying really hard not to get mean, so let me just wrap this up by saying our policies during the world wars did not endear us to the French.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Sure, as an American I appreciate the 4th of July as the day America became a country.

However, I will not appreciate all the explosions keeping me awake at night from the neighbors, and even people from different neighborhoods.

Souleks

Jan 17, 2009
DRes82 said:
Edit: If it makes the OP feel any better, we got pretty fucked up in 1812 before we managed to win.
Then we had to go smack around the Mexicans to rebuild our self-esteem a brave tradition carried out to this day.

My blood type is AB

Daystar Clarion said:
he decided the other guys were more of a threat.
Because god knows the Coalition couldn't handle the tactical beast that was Napoleon.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Think of it this way.

Britain was the metaphorical Super Saiyan of the world, fighting several guys at the same time, kicking arse, but still getting beaten up pretty badly.

America got in there, threw a punch then ran away claiming victory.

Now, Britain the Super Saiyan needed every bit of stamina he still had, so instead of chasing the little bugger down, he decided the other guys were more of a threat.

He then went on to win the Euro Belt and remain Supreme Champion of the World.

Daystar Clarion, trivialising historic events near you!

[sub][sub]All a joke, by the way :D[/sub][/sub]
So this needs its own thread.

You could do WWII, the Boer Wars or even Napoleonic wars.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Hal10k said:
You're honestly surprised that you're seeing people misrepresent history on Youtube? The comments section there is basically a competition to see who can display the greatest variety of stupidity for the longest stretch of time, except instead of "winners" and "losers", you have "degenerates" and "more degenerates".
Yeah. The youtube comments contain the most prominent selection of morons on the internet, and I dare say in the entire course of history this far.

OT: American, and I have nothing wrong with the British. I fail to see why anyone would because of a war that happened hundreds of years ago. Besides, a lot of my favorite movies and books are British.
Although, I still love the 4th. Nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of my country.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
We celebrate the day our ancestors stood up to the tyrannical leaders from hundreds of years of go.

Then, after a long drawn out war, the British were forced to withdraw. The Americans did the majority of the fighting, as it was fought in America, but the French and Spanish helped turn the tide of the war to America.

Then France almost went to war with America later during their revolution for not reciprocating.

What is so hard to understand?

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
You're SURPRISED that Americans are behaving like douchebags?

I mean honestly. It's kind of Rule #1 of real life:

Unless it's a politician or scientist, take anything an American says with a massive pile of salt.

Also, don't forget the War of 1812. Where the US invaded Canada.

There is a lot of dispute over who actually won that war. Who has Canada? That's what I thought.
With all due respect sir, kindly go fuck yourself.

You're really going to sterotype every singe American as being stupid?

I may not be Stephen fucking Hawking but I know a thing or two.

I'd wave all of my credentials of schooling and knowledge on specific subjects but that seems too easy.

Don't get so high and mighty on American by what you see in the media.

OT: We celebrate the day our ancestors stood up to the tyrannical leaders from hundreds of years of go.

Then, after a long drawn out war, the British were forced to withdraw. The Americans did the majority of the fighting, as it was fought in America, but the French and Spanish helped turn the tide of the war to America.

Then France almost went to war with America later during their revolution for not reciprocating.

What is so hard to understand?

EDIT: I overlooked the 1812 comment in pure anger

America invaded Canada in response to Britain taking Americans as prisoners on the sea, violating trade agreements and supporting Indian tribes to attack American citizens.

The US was defeated in the Canadian campaigns, but defended British incursions into the States.

Except for that whole burning down the White House thing..

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
ITT: Someone isn't aware that Youtube is the trailer park of the internet.

It was funny to see someone try to rationalize the motivations of the animals that figured out how to operate a keyboard over there though.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
idiots will be idiots. what in the world do you expect from youtube comments???

what I find a lot more annoying is how a lot of foreigners seem to always go out of their way to mock the 'stupid americans'. we really aren't all that dumb(unless you go to the southern states; stay the hell out of the south) its just that always the worst of something tends to become the most visible, in the same way the mentally retarded duck quacks the loudest (idk why I just used that euphemism, just go with it)

Agent Cross

Died And Got Better
Jan 3, 2011
tthor said:
idiots will be idiots. what in the world do you expect from youtube comments???

what I find a lot more annoying is how a lot of foreigners seem to always go out of their way to mock the 'stupid americans'. we really aren't all that dumb(unless you go to the southern states; stay the hell out of the south) its just that always the worst of something tends to become the most visible, in the same way the mentally retarded duck quacks the loudest (idk why I just used that euphemism, just go with it)
Whoa... Whoa... Whoa!!! Why do people always say this about the south? It's like some sort of weird trend. Canadians dislike some americans, americans from the north dislike some southerners, and some southerners dislike mexicans. I need to do some research on this.

And if we're such assholes, then shouldn't we always be bashing on the north. Instead it's mostly the opposite. It makes no sense. Maybe it's because of how polarizing the south is in the media sometimes. But, really... it just seems to me that the people of the more "stupid" states(the south) would come across as the real jerks. Yet you defy that. Broad, sweeping, generalizations... huh?

ALSO: I like to think of myself as a nice and polite person. So how come in my experiences with the north (I go to NYC twice a year), I always catch so much hell. I barely have an accent. And 3 years ago when me and my buddy Jonas (he's from Sweden)made our trip up to NYC, we got jumped and robbed. People just walked right on by. This has never happened to me or him before in our 25+ years alive. And nobody says thank you, or excuse me, or have a nice day. Instead, all I hear is move out the damn way, or what the hell do you want. Yet, I keep going back. Luckily, I don't just lump everybody into one category because of a bad experience.

Capthcha: KNOW THYSELF *looks up* Quack

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Yosharian said:
Well I didn't engage them save for a general comment about how silly it is to base someone's worth right now on the actions of people hundreds of years ago.

But I just wanted to take the issue to a place where intelligence is more common (here).

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
Griffolion said:
July 4th, the day America celebrates its independence.

It's the day the vast majority of Americans get very patriotic towards their country, flags are flown, parties are had, fireworks are let off. It's also the day the rest of the world (England especially) rolls its collective eyes and says under its breath "it's just one day and then we are clear for the next year".

Now, what I'm about to say will be regarding people on Youtube, so I know I'm taking from an already ignorant and generally arseholish (new word) population of people second only in arseholishness (new word #2) to darker places on the internet that I shall not name.

But there seem to be a ton of individuals, Americans, who believe they "kicked the British's ass", adding things like "GG no re", "suck it England", and "you f£&$*%G noobs, learn to fight a war".

My jimmies were rustled. I shouldn't have let them be, it's Youtube after all, but they were.

So, a couple of things.

Correct me if my research has led me wrong, but the French played a very strong role in helping the (what was then) rebellious British people win their independence to become America, and thus Americans. Britain has never had good ties with the French, especially not back then; it seems from what I have looked up (nothing in depth, just basic facts, figures, dates), that the French only did this really to spite us. And in the final battle that many see as the "defeat of the British" (the siege of Yorktown), some 8600 French soldiers bolstered the ranks of the rebel forces (numbering 8000), forcing a capitulation of the 9000 strong British forces, not to mention moving one of their larger fleets (22,000 sailors in all) to intercept British reinforcements, outnumbering the British fleet by 9 ships. Would it be fair to say that the French played a very large role in the victory? Not only that, but they were only doing it to divide our forces between the homeland and the colonies to try and strengthen their position against us in Europe? Please come in with comments if any of this is off.

Secondly, I saw a lot of back and forth between people, and the general attitude was one of attributing the general worth of somebody today based on the actions of people hundreds of years ago. Sorry if that didn't read well, I have a hard time articulating this thought. It was like an American saying to a British person "yeah we kicked your ass, and because of what was done hundreds of years ago, that makes me superior despite doing nothing to prove such a thing in today's modern times". I was thinking "wow, you're really going to degrade an entire country because of a civil war they had on their home turf that turned out to create someone like you?".

So my general concluding thoughts were, no, Americans did not "kick our ass" because they didn't exist at that point. British rebels kicked British loyalist ass with strong help from the French, who only seemed to be doing it for their own gain against us in Europe.

Americans in particular, you know your history better than I do, how do you guys know it?

Also, captcha is wanting to know what all your blood types are. Don't ask.
Oh yes the french helped us out immensely, but what is this post? You came here to spread the well thought out arguments of youtube ? No such thing as Americans because they were "British colonists"? I suspect I may be feeding a big hairy creature under this bridge... But I would say that they were Americans because the revolutionary war even happened, and that the declaration of independence was singed 7 years before the first war was even concluded.

But you brits wanted to fight about that idea, so we obliged you and you lost, get over it. Nothing like Passive aggressive posts and sore losers to rub me the wrong way...

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
I wouldn't worry if I were you, OP.

After all, those who write on bathroom walls roll their shit in little balls. And you who read these words of wit, come and eat these balls of shit.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Rooster Cogburn said:
our radical (for the time) philosophy that the people's government should be controlled by and for the people themselves.
Wow, that went to shit quickly.

How did the US end up so populous and powerful anyway? Never really learnt that in history. Well, I could guess the population came from large scale immigration and then the manpower turned it into a supernation, but I've never really learnt it in full.