Okay Maybe 2020 wasn't ALL bad. My GOTY List

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
While there is another thread about GOTY technically. I thought it fitting to separated the discussion based off what Geoff Keely and his award show has dictated as the best games, as opposed to what us normal people think and feel would be our lists for the top spots of this year.

I thought long and hard about what to actually put into this list as there were quite a few games that I added and removed to this list over and over again as the year went on. Ultimately the following is the list of what I thought were the best experiences in gaming this year, but as an added bonus I'll include those that were part of the debate as honorable mentions at the end.

With the exception of one game, the following list is in no particular order:

Nioh 2 - This year started kind of slow, unlike in previous years were there is usually some sort of stand out or sleeper hit in January or February, the first game on my list didn't appear until March. Nioh 2 is a much harder sequel to 2017's fantastic Samuari-Soulsy-Diabloy game. Admittedly Nioh 2 was so much harder than the first game that I almost gave up on it completely. If you look back at my impressions thread, you can read some of my frustrations. However like with most Souls games, I stuck with it and eventually broke through that wall of skill where it all starts to come together. Nioh 2 successfully takes what made the original game great and builds upon it while also trying to address some of the imbalances that the first game had. With a more diverse range of weapons, new skill trees, extra skills learned from the enemies themselves, Nioh 2 turns a great combat engine and makes it even better and even more satisfying to master.

Streets of Rage 4 - This was a game that I initially felt was too stuck in trying to recreate the old school Sega feeling of the first games. Clunky movement, and sluggish combat, was frustrating not because it was difficult, but because it felt like it got in the way. However the more I played, the more invested into the title I got, unlocking new characters, skins, and replaying the game with these unlocks kept me going to see all the different ways i could beat the shit out of a bunch of goons. Overall it's a fairly short game, but it's fun while it lasts once you adjust your expectations.

Ghosts of Tsushima - Bet ya'll didn't think i would put this here, because I was pretty down on the game when it first came out. Ghosts of Tsushima isn't remarkable for it's gameplay, or what it does for the open world genre, but it does have a remarkable way of making the story feel real. Inspired by a real film make who's name escapes me, Ghosts really does act more like a film than a game, and the story it offers and the way it's told works out more like you are playing through some sort of mini-series. Jumping through missions in the way you want adds an interesting serialization to the way the story comes across to the player than actually is pretty cool.

Hades - I don't think Super Giant has made a bad game yet. Personally I wasn't too much a fan of Transistor, but it wasn't a bad game by any means. The way Super Giant is able to blend amazing world building and character writing in with tight gameplay and beautiful music is something that basically earns their place in my mind as the best indie developer out there right now. Hades takes all of Super Giant's strengths and tops it off with quite simply the best combat ever to be put into a Rogue-like game ever. Combat was probably one of Super Giant's weak points, though not very weak, but with Hades that's no longer true. They fucking killed it in basically every possibly way with this game.

Demon's Souls - Oh look Critical put another fucking Souls-like on his GOTY, what a shock. Yeah okay this is kind of cheating because Demon's Souls was already known to be good. However I never played the original game on the PS3. I got into the Souls formula late and by the time I cared about it, Demon's Souls was long gone. So given the chance to play it as the first dive into NEXT GEN has been nothing short of amazing. The game takes what people have loved about the Souls games for years, and cleans it up to a degree that elevates Demon's Souls (remake) as the BEST game in the Souls series full stop.

And Finally......

GOTY!!!!!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake -
570 hours of total playtime, 5 complete playthroughs, countless VR missions replayed just to play the game. How could I not make the Remake of my favorite game of all time the Game of The Year? Everything about this game blew my mind. The characters, the music....holy fuck..the music is simply the best OST in gaming history, the combat system, and even the subversion of it all. The Final Fantasy 7 Remake is not the game people think it is looking at the box, it isn't even the game the fans thought it would be. FF7R is the greatest subversion in gaming history next to Spec Ops: The Line, and I applaud Square for taking the risk with something that could have gone terribly wrong and pissed a shit load of fans off. Instead they remained faithful where they needed to be, while bending the game around us in a way so subtle that nobody realized it was happening until the end of the game. And for that, it's great. Best Game this year.

Honorable Mentions: The Good but.....

Persona 5 Royal - I mean Persona 5 is fucking fantastic and it was on my GOTY list in 2017 when it came out. However it is just the same game again for the most part with an added chapter and a few extra sprinkles of added scenes along the way. So I could rightful give it a real spot on my list as it simply isn't different enough from the first release. Still insanely good though and if you missed Persona 5's original release, then definitely get the Royal version.

Maneaster - It's a game about being a shark and eating people. It's a fucking stupid game. But it is really fun, a lot funner than it's concept has any right to be.

Dragonball Z: Karakot - Dragonball's first major attempt at making an RPG game in a long while (except for a couple of Japan only gameboy color games I think), and it tries it's best. The game is okay, but the systems of an RPG don't really work out in a Dragonball Z game because any major character advancement is locked to very specific story moments. And the enemies are too samey. It's a fun time and the bosses are really unique with interesting mechanics throughout, and f you are in the mood for watching DBZ's story again then this is a solid get.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - It's Yakuza, but it's a JRPG now. This game is pretty damn great, it's quirky, it's funny, it's characters are charming. But the turn-based combat gets stale and grindy really quick. Which is fine if you are like me and love that shit, but I feel like this would wear on too many nerves for too many people for me to give it a real spot. But if you are into grindy JRPG's then this is a must buy.

Doom Eternal - It's more Doom. It's really good. But it's just more Doom. It takes Doom 2016, and makes a sequel from it, but I don't feel like it does enough to really standout between the two games. But hey, it's more rip and tear and sometimes you just need some of that to finish up a shitty day.

Alright that about does it for my list. What do you guys think? What games stood out to you this year? What game do you think stands above all others? What game do you think I'm crazy for including here?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Streets of Rage 4 - This was a game that I initially felt was too stuck in trying to recreate the old school Sega feeling of the first games. Clunky movement, and sluggish combat, was frustrating not because it was difficult, but because it felt like it got in the way. However the more I played, the more invested into the title I got, unlocking new characters, skins, and replaying the game with these unlocks kept me going to see all the different ways i could beat the shit out of a bunch of goons. Overall it's a fairly short game, but it's fun while it lasts once you adjust your expectations.
Told you. I ran into similar problem of trying to play the game like 2, when I should have been playing it like 4. With the way the combat system was updated and semi-rehauled, you had to learn the juggle mechanics and characters invicibility frames. I know it sucks they took out universal dashing, but nearly each character (not counting the retro characters) have their own -->, -->, ATK or -->, -->, Special that acts as a dash or gap closer. Once I figured that out and how the scoring system works, I had even more of a blast. This game to me is the best Streets of Rage game in the series. The fact you can carry weapons with you in scene transitions is a major plus, and something you could not do in 2 or 3. A separate button for picking up weapons works better than having the attack button be the same to pick up weapon and more convenient for tricks and exploits. The soundtrack is GODLIKE! The dynamic music and multiple recent genres of techno makes it the most memorable soundtrack of this year. The only problems I had with the game being the boss variety was lacking in some places. Once you see what was on the cutting room floor, you will see what I'm talking about. Also, there should have been two more enemy types just to spice things up a little.

Ghost of Tsuhima is my GOTY too, because of what it did well and its passion! Not everything has to be original or innovative, but strive for doing their best. With their unique charm of course. Akira Kurosawa being the main drive. The combat, while flawed with padding unlocks, becomes better once you learn your blocks, dodges, and parries. God, I love parrying this game! The atmosphere, coloring, tackling side quests in any order you desire, the costumes, music, and exploration work all so well together. The fact the game is still getting updates mean a lot of things.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Told you. I ran into similar problem of trying to play the game like 2, when I should have been playing it like 4. With the way the combat system was updated and semi-rehauled, you had to learn the juggle mechanics and characters invisibility frames. I know it sucks they took out universal dashing, but nearly each character (not counting the retro characters) have their own -->, -->, ATK or -->, -->, Special that acts as a dash or gap closer. Once I figured that out and how the scoring system works, I had even more of a blast. This game to me is the best Streets of Rage game in the series. The fact you can carry weapons with you in scene transitions is a major plus, and something you could not do in 2 or 3. A separate button for picking up weapons works better than having the attack button be the same to pick up weapon and more convenient for tricks and exploits. The soundtrack is GODLIKE! The dynamic music and multiple recent genres of techno makes it the most memorable soundtrack of this year. The only problems I had with the game being the boss variety was lacking in some places. Once you see what was on the cutting room floor, you will see what I'm talking about. Also, there should have been two more enemy types just to spice things up a little.

Ghost of Tsuhima is my GOTY too, because of what it did well and its passion! Not everything has to be original or innovative, but strive for doing their best. With their unique charm of course. Akira Kurosawa being the main drive. The combat, while flawed with padding unlocks, becomes better once you learn your blocks, dodges, and parries. God, I love parrying this game! The atmosphere, coloring, tackling side quests in any order you desire, the costumes, music, and exploration work all so well together. The fact the game is still getting updates mean a lot of things.
I put Streets of Rage on there just for you buddy :)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@BrawlMan maybe Jim Sterling is right. The worst games thread has a shitload of replies, and this positive one has nothing.

Negativity rules!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@BrawlMan maybe Jim Sterling is right. The worst games thread has a shitload of replies, and this positive one has nothing.

Negativity rules!
Seriously, have all of you guys and gals just been playing games in the AAA space? What about the AA or indie games. I didn't play every single game either, but I know there are good games that came out this year. Must be really convenient to forget the good games you played from this year. And that was not directed at you CriticalGaming. I only replied three times in your other thread to prove a point.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
While there is another thread about GOTY technically. I thought it fitting to separated the discussion based off what Geoff Keely and his award show has dictated as the best games, as opposed to what us normal people think and feel would be our lists for the top spots of this year.

I thought long and hard about what to actually put into this list as there were quite a few games that I added and removed to this list over and over again as the year went on. Ultimately the following is the list of what I thought were the best experiences in gaming this year, but as an added bonus I'll include those that were part of the debate as honorable mentions at the end.

With the exception of one game, the following list is in no particular order:

Nioh 2 - This year started kind of slow, unlike in previous years were there is usually some sort of stand out or sleeper hit in January or February, the first game on my list didn't appear until March. Nioh 2 is a much harder sequel to 2017's fantastic Samuari-Soulsy-Diabloy game. Admittedly Nioh 2 was so much harder than the first game that I almost gave up on it completely. If you look back at my impressions thread, you can read some of my frustrations. However like with most Souls games, I stuck with it and eventually broke through that wall of skill where it all starts to come together. Nioh 2 successfully takes what made the original game great and builds upon it while also trying to address some of the imbalances that the first game had. With a more diverse range of weapons, new skill trees, extra skills learned from the enemies themselves, Nioh 2 turns a great combat engine and makes it even better and even more satisfying to master.

Ghosts of Tsushima - Bet ya'll didn't think i would put this here, because I was pretty down on the game when it first came out. Ghosts of Tsushima isn't remarkable for it's gameplay, or what it does for the open world genre, but it does have a remarkable way of making the story feel real. Inspired by a real film make who's name escapes me, Ghosts really does act more like a film than a game, and the story it offers and the way it's told works out more like you are playing through some sort of mini-series. Jumping through missions in the way you want adds an interesting serialization to the way the story comes across to the player than actually is pretty cool.

Hades - I don't think Super Giant has made a bad game yet. Personally I wasn't too much a fan of Transistor, but it wasn't a bad game by any means. The way Super Giant is able to blend amazing world building and character writing in with tight gameplay and beautiful music is something that basically earns their place in my mind as the best indie developer out there right now. Hades takes all of Super Giant's strengths and tops it off with quite simply the best combat ever to be put into a Rogue-like game ever. Combat was probably one of Super Giant's weak points, though not very weak, but with Hades that's no longer true. They fucking killed it in basically every possibly way with this game.

Demon's Souls - Oh look Critical put another fucking Souls-like on his GOTY, what a shock. Yeah okay this is kind of cheating because Demon's Souls was already known to be good. However I never played the original game on the PS3. I got into the Souls formula late and by the time I cared about it, Demon's Souls was long gone. So given the chance to play it as the first dive into NEXT GEN has been nothing short of amazing. The game takes what people have loved about the Souls games for years, and cleans it up to a degree that elevates Demon's Souls (remake) as the BEST game in the Souls series full stop.

And Finally......

GOTY!!!!!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake -
570 hours of total playtime, 5 complete playthroughs, countless VR missions replayed just to play the game. How could I not make the Remake of my favorite game of all time the Game of The Year? Everything about this game blew my mind. The characters, the music....holy fuck..the music is simply the best OST in gaming history, the combat system, and even the subversion of it all. The Final Fantasy 7 Remake is not the game people think it is looking at the box, it isn't even the game the fans thought it would be. FF7R is the greatest subversion in gaming history next to Spec Ops: The Line, and I applaud Square for taking the risk with something that could have gone terribly wrong and pissed a shit load of fans off. Instead they remained faithful where they needed to be, while bending the game around us in a way so subtle that nobody realized it was happening until the end of the game. And for that, it's great. Best Game this year.

Honorable Mentions: The Good but.....

Persona 5 Royal - I mean Persona 5 is fucking fantastic and it was on my GOTY list in 2017 when it came out. However it is just the same game again for the most part with an added chapter and a few extra sprinkles of added scenes along the way. So I could rightful give it a real spot on my list as it simply isn't different enough from the first release. Still insanely good though and if you missed Persona 5's original release, then definitely get the Royal version.

Maneaster - It's a game about being a shark and eating people. It's a fucking stupid game. But it is really fun, a lot funner than it's concept has any right to be.

Dragonball Z: Karakot - Dragonball's first major attempt at making an RPG game in a long while (except for a couple of Japan only gameboy color games I think), and it tries it's best. The game is okay, but the systems of an RPG don't really work out in a Dragonball Z game because any major character advancement is locked to very specific story moments. And the enemies are too samey. It's a fun time and the bosses are really unique with interesting mechanics throughout, and f you are in the mood for watching DBZ's story again then this is a solid get.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - It's Yakuza, but it's a JRPG now. This game is pretty damn great, it's quirky, it's funny, it's characters are charming. But the turn-based combat gets stale and grindy really quick. Which is fine if you are like me and love that shit, but I feel like this would wear on too many nerves for too many people for me to give it a real spot. But if you are into grindy JRPG's then this is a must buy.

Doom Eternal - It's more Doom. It's really good. But it's just more Doom. It takes Doom 2016, and makes a sequel from it, but I don't feel like it does enough to really standout between the two games. But hey, it's more rip and tear and sometimes you just need some of that to finish up a shitty day.

Alright that about does it for my list. What do you guys think? What games stood out to you this year? What game do you think stands above all others? What game do you think I'm crazy for including here?

Cripes. That even beats the time I’ve put into my RDR2 platinum run (so far).

Also, might want to double check spelling of that shark game, bunny buddy 🙂

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ok, sure, but I'm going to have to open the floor to rereleases/ports and older games. Cuz the list of games I've played that were actually first released in 2020 is rather anemic, and I don't feel like giving any of them goty when I've played better older ones this year. Tho that's been pretty much a theme these past years, I'm always late to the party.

GOTY WINNER- Yakuza 0
Every year for the past half decade or so, there's a game that at first glance is not my cup of tea, but I could get it cheap and I'm like 'fuck it, buying on a whim', and it turns out a revelation. Stardew Valley, Monster Hunter World, Crosscode and now this. I'm not usually into open world, but Yakuza's is very dense so it never feels like it wastes your time, it's got a lot of personality and sense of 'place', the game comes with a surprisingly well-written story, likeable characters, and lots and lots of zany side content.
Also winner of the Best Phone Hookup Simulator Award

And now the runner-ups, in no particular order

Runner-up - Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition
If I had to describe this, it's as an embodiment of what people imagine many jrpgs in the golden age were like through nostalgia-tinted glasses (but weren't). It's very old school in terms of setting, story and basic gameplay, but adds tons of quality of life features that make it feel classic, yet modern and just ... nice.
Also winner of the May Give You Gambling Addiction Award

Runner-up - We Love Katamari
Yeah, the PS2 game. I'd played the Katamari Damacy remaster the year before and loved it. Saw a copy of this at a local retro convention and snagged that shit up right away. It's more of the same, but it's just as simple, yet fun to play, and above all just so cooky and joyous. Seriously, if you feel down, play a Katamari game.
Also winner of the Most Majestic Penile Bulge award

Runner-up - The Wonderful 101 Remastered
Platinum games aren't my strongest suit, but this felt way more accessible for some reason, so I could get good enough at it to finish battles with enough style for a good rank, which just feels good. Also helps it's got lots of charm and humor. I totally get why this attained cult favorite status in such a short time.
Also winner of the Drill To The Heavens Award For Massive Escalation Of Scale

Runner-up - Titanfall 2
Found this second hand in a bargain bin for €3. Upside is that conveniently circumvented me giving EA any money. Hurrah. Anyway, had a ball with the singleplayer campaign. Some would call it short, but I say it is concise in the same way that Portal is: exactly as long as it needs to be with little to no waste.
Also winner of the Try Not To Cry, Cry A Lot Award

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Negativity rules!
Watch any media, this is very true

At best, you need to say things more controversially becuase people wont listen otherwise

Seriously, have all of you guys and gals just been playing games in the AAA space? What about the AA or indie games. I didn't play every single game either, but I know there are good games that came out this year. Must be really convenient to forget the good games you played from this year. And that was not directed at you CriticalGaming. I only replied three times in your other thread to prove a point.
I really loved Disco Elysium. I knew I was going to love it well before hand

Still didn’t buy it til it was on sale. Still waited almost a year to play it.

Imagine how I treat games I only like...

So it’s got far more to do with me not wanting to pay full price for things... and the general dissatisfaction with game company treating customers and employees poorly

The only company I break this for is Supergiant, so I can talk about Hades again if you like

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This year was amazing for gaming, so many good, long-awaited stuff came out. It's still going too. I can't say what my game of the year is yet cause I've not beaten trails of cold steel 4 but it's between that, 13 sentinels, ffvii and p5r and I'm constantly fluctuating between them.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So it’s got far more to do with me not wanting to pay full price for things... and the general dissatisfaction with game company treating customers and employees poorly

The only company I break this for is Supergiant, so I can talk about Hades again if you like
I pretty much stopped buying game full price because of how ridiculously fast they go on sales, most of them will be 50% off within 6 months, I've seen game go for that within a month. The initial price is just inflated so that they can quickly put a big "sales" sticker on the game.

The problem with that is there's plnety of smaller developer who don't do that and just keep price constant, which means they go on my wishlist and then I forget about them. I wish there was some sort of system on steam where dev could mark their game as "not going on sale for X amount of time" or something.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I pretty much stopped buying game full price because of how ridiculously fast they go on sales, most of them will be 50% off within 6 months, I've seen game go for that within a month. The initial price is just inflated so that they can quickly put a big "sales" sticker on the game.

The problem with that is there's plnety of smaller developer who don't do that and just keep price constant, which means they go on my wishlist and then I forget about them. I wish there was some sort of system on steam where dev could mark their game as "not going on sale for X amount of time" or something.
For me a full price game is a game I say "I want to support whoever made this, god bless" so I got all of the above mentioned as day 1 LEs. But yeah smaller devs who rely on people like me to make their money don't do sales much anyways, so it works out I guess.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I managed to get plenty of solid gaming done this year. Though I've also played older games so I don't have a good grasp on what I should consider GOTY 2020.

Spent a good 90+ hours on Kingdom Come Deliverance. After you get over the jankiness and mod in a more sensible save system - it's a pretty fun game. There's a lot of heart and charm underneath the completely rubbish combat system. I'll never forget the golden scene where you go on a bender with a priest and have to give a sermon for said priest the following morning while incredibly hungover.

I went through Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2. Had boat loads of fun, really enjoyed the characters and all the manly totally not homoerotic brotherly moments of ripping shirts off, showing off back tattoos and punching all their problems away.

Halo Master Chief Collection happened and most of the games slowly trickled onto PC throughout 2020, with Halo 4 touching down just last week and completing the set. I had plenty of fun replaying Halo. I was the guy who was friends with X-Box owners and only ever played Halo Coop and MP, so being able to do the campaigns solo was a nice change from how I used to experience the games. Getting into silly custom games with friends is also great and I had fun with Firefight and the randomness of Big Team Slayer.

Wasteland 3 did happen, but I found it a largely forgettable experience. I had fun, but it was really janky.

I'm almost done with Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. It somehow makes rice farming a rewarding experience and has decent sidescrolling action gameplay. The story's not anything too special but the characters are all quite charming.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Best game of 2020? Hades.

I loved that game so much that I bought it twice. Once on PC, and again on Switch - and I have completed it on both.

I just love me a good rogue-like, and the build variety in Hades keeps the game fresh, playthrough after playthrough. Not to mention the characters, and the music, and the art.

Supergiant are 4 for 4, for me.

Favourite game that I played this year? Divinity Original Sin 2.

I just love how free you are to do whatever you want. It seems like there are a billion solutions to every problem, and it is just so refreshing. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good linear game, but this was just special - and no other RPG has come even close, in terms of gameplay. And again, great build variety and mod support? Even though this game is long, I can definitely see myself replaying this in the near future, just to play around with more spells.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Best game of 2020? Hades.

I loved that game so much that I bought it twice. Once on PC, and again on Switch - and I have completed it on both.

I just love me a good rogue-like, and the build variety in Hades keeps the game fresh, playthrough after playthrough. Not to mention the characters, and the music, and the art.

Supergiant are 4 for 4, for me.

Favourite game that I played this year? Divinity Original Sin 2.

I just love how free you are to do whatever you want. It seems like there are a billion solutions to every problem, and it is just so refreshing. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good linear game, but this was just special - and no other RPG has come even close, in terms of gameplay. And again, great build variety and mod support? Even though this game is long, I can definitely see myself replaying this in the near future, just to play around with more spells.
Divinity does this thing where it feels like everything fits in so perfectly that it has to be linear but is anything but, they just put a fuckton of work on every path possible even when most players won't experience most paths.