Old Computers and Operating Systems

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Seeing as Britain's oldest computer is going in for a quick disk clean and a reboot, I thought I'd ask:

What's the oldest computer and/or operating system you have ever used?

I remember using Windows 3.1 at school before getting Windows 95 on my families first desktop. It was an old Packard Bell bought in 1996 that was eventually held together with gaffer tape.

Oh and here's a link the article if you interested:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8234428.stm

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
think it was a dos system...
Black screen
Green text
weird feeding paper like a seismograph or something printer
All built into a monitor
.....very old

Kerbain

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah mine was an acorn... model no idea...
Like sms it was a black screen with green text
All the stuff came on old cassette tapes took about 45mins to load and usually crashed halfway

I remember having to type RUN alot

OMG Ive just remembered the old Atari ST I had!! that ran on TOS which was green and white and involved a bee when loading. Thats just made me feel warm inside. I really have no idea what happend to it.

My first post! Woo for me!

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
I don't even remember what my one was. It ran on Windows and there was a black screen with white writing. I remember I'd have to type in (for example) C:/Dune2 or whatever to play Dune 2
Kerbain said:
My first post! Woo for me!
Welcome to the Escapist!!
Don't feed the trolls. Also there's something about Maxi's body but I don't know what that refers to.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
An Apple II way back when I was a little guy. Nothing like monochrome 8-bit graphics and blips for sound. The memory was expandable up to 8MB. Blazing fast back then though, and more than enough to run one of the best games ever, Oregon Trail.

FelixFox. said:
I don't even remember what my one was. It ran on Windows and there was a black screen with white writing. I remember I'd have to type in (for example) C:/Dune2 or whatever to play Dune 2
You mean MS-DOS [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS]?

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Used an Apple II in grade school. First computer my family finally bought had Windows 95 right about the time 98 was coming out. It wasn't until XP that I caught up with the current generation of OS's

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
My first computer was an Atari 800. I had the casette drive, the 5 1/4 inch drive, and the four color plotter/printer.

My first Intel based PC was a Tandy 1000HX, which came with MS-DOS 2.11. I remember running Windows 2.0 (maybe 2.1) on it.

Man I feel old...

dorm41baggins

Feb 24, 2009
Commodore 128.

Great computer- it could run all the C64 games but it could also handle software designed to take advantage of the extra processor power and memory. It even had an optional *gasp* 80-column display mode you could turn on by pushing a toggle switch on the keyboard before powering on- great for word processing or Infocom games.

It also had a Z80 co-processor that let you run CPM, but I never had any CPM software besides the OS itself, so I didn't play with it much.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Commodore 64 and the BASIC system it used

to load a game named X from a floppy drive, you had to write

LOAD "X" ,8,1

Then wait for it, sometimes as long as hour, then type RUN to actually play the game.

Part of the reason I found english language to be so easy once we began to learn it at school: I'd been using the C64 and the english based commands on it for almost 4 years by the time I had my first official English lesson.

MusicalFreedom

May 9, 2009
I recall having a BBC Micro [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro] or something similar, shut in the (then) spare room along with other old computer parts. freakin classic, had an external 5 1/4 inch floppy drive. I remember playing a golf game on it.

but the first one I ever used was an old Compaq Presario 486. fantastic, only died a year or so ago. ran dos and Doom like a ***** on that pc.