Old games you remember playing, but can't remember the name of

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
I believe It's Jrpg "Beyond the beyond", also description of curses reminds me old baldur's gate with a wild magic curse, when you turn yourself into a squirel, which cant be debuffed by any of decursing spells or church help.
Yeah, looking it up there's a sliding tile puzzle in a forest that you have to complete to progress, so you probably have it right.

Thanks! Glad to finally have a name to this game.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I have a really odd case because I can remember the name but can't find it exactly or I'm remembering wrong. Idk.

I think its called Alto or something like that. It was some old game from the DOS era if I recall. But its weird because its kind of a Mario clone but not really? It was more like Donkey Kong than Mario's own games but the player character looked like Mario. And the title character had this white and green color palette. I was reminded because Luigi's 2nd Melee palette (the one with the white hat, green overalls, and brown everything else) and it brought back memories.

I can't seem to remember it clearly apparently. I have been trying to revisit some older games from my childhood but this is one that's just evading me. Maybe it never happened and I'm going crazy.
Pretty sure you are thinking of Aldo's Adventure.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
oooo i've got one. What was that Saturn RPG called that was based on an anime starring three teenage girls?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

So, can anyone tell me according to the description what its Genre at least?
Also, what its perspective at least?
Thank you.
I don't think anyone knows it. I only checked out the old thread on the V1 forums a couple of times but I'm pretty sure there was like 90% questions and 10% answers. Though the old forums were really hurting for traffic for YEARS and the place would flat out die on the weekends.

Hope you find your answer.

Elisa

Apr 24, 2020
I don't think anyone knows it. I only checked out the old thread on the V1 forums a couple of times but I'm pretty sure there was like 90% questions and 10% answers. Though the old forums were really hurting for traffic for YEARS and the place would flat out die on the weekends.
You are TOTALLY RIGHT! I've been searching for it for about a year but didn't find anything!
Now can you answer my questions below:

So, can anyone tell me according to the description what its Genre at least?
Also, what its perspective at least?
Thank you.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You are TOTALLY RIGHT! I've been searching for it for about a year but didn't find anything!
Now can you answer my questions below:
Based on your description, it sounds like an action game of some kind and using Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty as a reference, the perspective is isometric, also called "2.5D" or "3/4" sometimes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_video_game_graphics explains it a bit better if that helps

So that might help you. Beyond that I have no clue.

Reactions: Elisa

Graboid

Aug 2, 2017
Country
US
It was a top down RPG on the PC where you were bonded with a spirit or something that would talk to you. I think you could choose between two different spirits at the beginning. Throughout the game you would get perks depending on how you dealt with situations. The perks had bad and good aspects.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
An old PS 2 ( I think) game, where you were the master of a dungeon/haunted house/evil lair. And you populated it with traps and monsters to fight off heroes who came to thwart you. The quirk of the game though, was you could insert other discs and it would use the data to generate various monsters. It was a first person game that I recall.

Self-Confident Jester

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Ukraine
An old PS 2 ( I think) game, where you were the master of a dungeon/haunted house/evil lair. And you populated it with traps and monsters to fight off heroes who came to thwart you. The quirk of the game though, was you could insert other discs and it would use the data to generate various monsters. It was a first person game that I recall.
Mb some of the dungeon keeper series?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It wouldn't be one of the Monster Rancher games, would it? That's what immediately comes to mind when you talk about using other disks to generate monsters.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It was a top down RPG on the PC where you were bonded with a spirit or something that would talk to you. I think you could choose between two different spirits at the beginning. Throughout the game you would get perks depending on how you dealt with situations. The perks had bad and good aspects.
Do you have an approximate age of the game?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It wouldn't be one of the Monster Rancher games, would it? That's what immediately comes to mind when you talk about using other disks to generate monsters.
No it wasn't monster rancher, it was a horror-esque game. Sort of like Dungeon Keeper but without it being as funny. And when I say it's like Dungeon Keeper, I simply mean in concept. In that you are a Dark Lord type person, running a castle filled with traps and monsters, with the intent of luring "heroes" to you to kill/capture/turn to your side.

And sorry no, I couldn't give you a timeframe on it. I just know it was a PS 2 game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Self-Confident Jester

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Ukraine
Fushigi no Dungeon looks similar, it has a familiar with a hero as well

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
This is a game from my teen years but I can't seem to recall what it was called.

It was some browser game where you play as one class of internet trolls like hacker, cam girl, all that and the goal of the game is to troll forums/chatrooms in a RPG style kind of game. You have skills that work like spells like spamming images for example. There is a storyline surprisingly enough but I remember that the last level was hacking into the White House and detonating a nuke, getting the player character into prison leading to an episodic adventure.

I know that seems very specific but its what I remember. I remember really liked the concept of a RPG based on the internet. I would like to revisit it but while I'm sure it can be found I doubt it would work because its a flash game from the 2000s so idk if its playable anymore.