"Old" Games

Not That

Jul 19, 2010
This is something that's been bothering me recently: Gamers in general seem all to willing to dismiss games as being "too old". Now, I'm not a self-righteous retro-gamer who looks down on everything made since the year 2000, but at the same time, I find the aging of video games alarming. I am biased in this regard: due to monetary issues, I've always tended to get my games on a lag of several years, but I've played most games as they've come out, due to the generosity of my friends with deep pockets and HDTVs. Still, I refuse to believe what I've read in forums concerning games like Halo 3 being old. That game only came out in 2007, people. No other medium does this; you'd never hear somebody on a film forum claiming that Star Wars Episode III is old, and that movie was made back in the mists of antiquity, circa 2005. I understand that game technology advances quicker than in almost any other medium of entertainment, but it's hardly fair when 2 year old games that might be quite good are shunned by people who've never played them because they're "too old". Please, tell me what you think. Do I make a valid point, or am I ranting stupidly?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Yeah, you've got a pretty good point.

I don't get those types of people who claim anything more than 3 years old to be "old" or really any form of media. I remember when I was still in school, I would talk about my favorite movies (which are mostly from the 70's, 60's and 80's) and some kid said "Why do you only watch old movies?"

The only time a game or movie should be considered "old" is when they actually feel dated. I know movie from the 30s that still feel contemporary Same with people. Unless you act like an old fuck I wouldn't consider you to be an old fuck and I know plenty of 50, 60 and even 70 year olds who don't act old.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
For me, old is early Gamecube, late N64 and PS1. Even then I'll still play them.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I have to say, I don't think I've ever heard a gamer claim they never played a certain game because it was "too old". I have heard certain younger gamers dismiss games from the PS2 era and back as being worthless due to "bad graphics", a lack of online connectivity and other such complaints, but I never just because they're supposedly old.

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
I never really find its the game that annoys me just the controls. i went back and played halo a few months back and just found everything unresponsive compared to the crispness of reach and COD and the matchmaking on multiplayer is not as good. i find this less in 2d games though as me and my freind bought castle crashers the other day and it was a great laugh and really worth the price.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
I just turned 14. I bloody love old games. I can't stand people that hate certain games because "they're old" or "they're not CoD". Hell, people just can't accept opinions these days. It's not even a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact older games are awesome.

Apr 19, 2010
I haven't really met anyone who claims that something from 3-4 years ago is old, but I have met someone claiming things from over five years ago as old.
Then again its all your about your perspective, if your 12 then yeah half your life is a long time but if your 25 six years isn't as long.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
You make a valid point. I play games that are older than me and I often reassemble my PS1 to play about 40 games that me and my brother own. I'm quite nostalgic and preservative :) . And I'm not as old as you may think ;) .

Sometimes, I show an old game to some of my friends and they say: "That's so old and boring! I like CoD. Put CoD in NOW!"

This behaviour makes me want to tear their heads apart from the rest of their bodies.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
i call games like Halo 3 older games

ps1 old

nes games from the forgotten vault of the time god

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
For me it's Super NES, and the occasional PS1 game.

Hey now, I know my favorite game MediEvil is old, and I'm not going to change it. It just...is.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
In my opinion, 'old' is anything from 1-2+ generations ago. (NES to SNES to N64 for example)
I will generally call same generation 'current'

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Well a movie comes out and a year later it is on DVD so that adds to its life. Games though we can be waiting to see them for years, then they come out and most people play through only once and beat them in 2-3 days. The day after Arkham Asylum came out they had the trade-in board up in Gamestop and the guy behind the counter told me about a dozen people had already traded their copies in. It's part of the medium. The better a game is graphically the faster it ages.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
a mad dodongo said:
I just turned 14. I bloody love old games. I can't stand people that hate certain games because "they're old" or "they're not CoD". Hell, people just can't accept opinions these days. It's not even a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact older games are awesome.
That's a tad contradictory, isn't it?

OT: Old for me is anything before Deus Ex, but then I was only 6 when it was released.

It's all a matter of perspective; one that's warped in this medium because technology grows so quickly.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Old is anything from the 1900s.
That's my definition, I still play a few 'old' games like Spyro and such.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
i always knew that people who have been produced after the 80's arent good for anything :p

But i guess its all a question of perspective, i cant call something old that was made after 2000 aka "THE FUTURE" ^^ NES is old but i still love my swords and serpents or Pirates!.
again i have to think about how dissapointed my child-self would be that there arent any flying cars yet.
well Back to the Future told us its just 5 more years.

only games with no real content or well gamequality can grow old. A unique and great game is always as good as new.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
I think it's terrible that people demand shiny new games every few weeks. What happened to user-made content (for those of us on the PC, anyway)?

Hell, I'm still an avid Flashpoint'er. If that's a word...

EDIT: I meant the old(er) Flashpoint there.

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
Some of the best games I've ever played have been "Old" - I reference the X-Wing series. Utterly brilliant games, made in *shudder* the 90s.