Old tech you just DO NOT miss.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
I hate going back in time but I might as well.

Technology has advanced so much and so quickly in the past 60 years that not many of us realise or just weren't even born yet. Things are done a bit more easier and a lot of better(?)

While watching this video I realise something. I really do not miss the VCR/VHS. Those kids were so damn lucky that they didn't have to go through the headache we went through, assuming you are older than them. I am not going to have a nostalgic moment about it, they were just a pain in the arse. The strip inside would tangle up in the VCR that it wrecks the machine, the weight of the things were annoying when moving homes and the VHS takes up so much room. Rewind after every viewing... I'll stop.

What old tech do you not miss. I mean you seriously just hated and thankful that their is a better way to do things. Or the concept is the same but has upgraded for the better. Wired Keyboard and mouse before they had the USB end to them, I am looking at you!!

Yes some old tech may still be current but just have at it.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Don't miss ice boxes. Having the technology of refrigeration that keeps me from having to throw away perishables (and not needing to salt or smoke all my meats) is very nice.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Those old cell phones from the 90s, god those were terrible.

Big, clunky, and it was difficult to fit them in your pockets, which is also why suits had to be two sizes larger than they are now. Seriously, have you seen someone wear a suit in a movie from the 90s? It looks like they're wearing their parents cloths.

Even the first flip phones were still fucking huge.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I don't miss dial-up internet. Out of all the older tech, that would make me the most upset if we had to put up with it again. Other than that, I don't miss pagers I guess. *shrug*

Captcha:
Fire + brim stone

Yes, just burn it all.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
You know, it's funny; I'm in the middle of a project that involves going through a lot of old video tapes, and I'm noticing what a huge tradeoff DVD players and modern TVs really are. That's trade-off, mind; not trade-up. DVDs don't need to be rewound, don't get caught in the playing mechanism and jam (and if you mess up the timing belts getting out, the VCR will never work right again), and don't degrade nearly as quickly. On the other hand, VHS tapes don't scratch nearly as easily (nor become totally unplayable when they do), don't have uninterruptable ads and anti-piracy warnings from 1974 (I'm not kidding- take a look at that Interpol warning), can be used to record off a television with nothing more than a standard piece of playing equipment (I have only once in my life seen a VCP that didn't have a record function), and their players are good to go in less than a second (time your DVD player next time you turn it on). Believe me, the difference in video quality is something you hardly notice when you get into the nitty-gritty of differences.

[quote="Parasondox" post="18.872378.21884367Wired Keyboard and mouse before they had the USB end to them, I am looking at you!![/quote]

This, however, just baffles me. The only difference I've noticed between USB and PS/2 cables is that you can tell at a glance (or by feeling) which side is up, and thus which way it's supposed to go in. Oh, and most operating systems are a lot more reluctant to read USB devices before the machine's finished booting up. What are you talking about?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
At school I used to have a pocket full of floppy disks - Literally 5-10 that I had to cart around everywhere, and they'd always fall apart, or the slide clasp would come off and everything would corrupt - They were really useless.

USB pens are sooooo much better, not just because of the increased capacity.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Hero in a half shell said:
USB pens are sooooo much better, not just because of the increased capacity.
It also helps that USB sticks have increased their storage capacity by, quite literally, one thousand times their original size between 2004 and 2014

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Recusant said:
Parasondox said:
This, however, just baffles me. The only difference I've noticed between USB and PS/2 cables is that you can tell at a glance (or by feeling) which side is up, and thus which way it's supposed to go in. Oh, and most operating systems are a lot more reluctant to read USB devices before the machine's finished booting up. What are you talking about?
Most times, for me mostly, when trying to fit the male into the female of the ps/2 connector, the inner bit of the male would break. My fault really. Due to how my old PC was set up in a small room, I had to go in blind and find the connection with my fingers. Also meant the wired keyboard and mice in general too. For those who confused when I said "male into female", those were just tech terms for connecting two things together. One with a hole and other with a... erm... you know. Like a plug into a wall socket. Don't go all Tumblr on me now. It's nothing sexual.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
piscian said:
You can't actually miss or not miss Ps/2 it's still standard on most motherboards and there's a large following still using and manufacturing it. Strictly for mouse and keyboard I agree PS/2 is still better for response time and yeah it's nearly impossible to not plug it in right first time unlike USB. Para I'm calling you out dog, did you actually use PS/2 what is wrong with it exactly?
Already answered ^^^ and yes at the time, I sucked at it :(

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Floppy disc since they pretty much a poor performance compared to any USB storage device. ZIP disc were also bad awesome, sure they were no longer floppy and had bigger memory but they were expensive as hell, at least with a USB storage device, they come in many shape meaning the prices varies (cheap usb stick or your mp3 player can also serve as a data storage too)!

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
piscian said:
Parasondox said:
piscian said:
You can't actually miss or not miss Ps/2 it's still standard on most motherboards and there's a large following still using and manufacturing it. Strictly for mouse and keyboard I agree PS/2 is still better for response time and yeah it's nearly impossible to not plug it in right first time unlike USB. Para I'm calling you out dog, did you actually use PS/2 what is wrong with it exactly?
Already answered ^^^ and yes at the time, I sucked at it :(
Thats fair. It actually occurs to me that, though I'm not sure when. Some PS/2s did not have that flat thumb angle that you could use to feel your way in..Also thats what she said.
I would have added that the USB connect made it more easier for it to slide it with less hassle but once again, it all sounds sexual. Who comes up with this stuff? lol

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Watches, 'handhelds' that took 8 AA batteries, pagers, SD TVs, etc.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I don't miss CD players. They took too much space and would break off easy.

I tried to mix CDs recently for my car. However, I've discovered that my car eats CDs..

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Those old cell phones from the 90s, god those were terrible.

Big, clunky, and it was difficult to fit them in your pockets, which is also why suits had to be two sizes larger than they are now. Seriously, have you seen someone wear a suit in a movie from the 90s? It looks like they're wearing their parents cloths.

Even the first flip phones were still fucking huge.

What I miss even less are those phones that were so Liliputian that many grown men couldn't press individual buttons. I'm glad we got rid of those.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not old enough to have used them, but I always loved the stories from profs and old programmers about their punch cards stacks getting blown all over the street by a gust of wind.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
piscian said:
I'm honestly surprised anyone on this forum is old enough to remember any of those things. Being born in the 80s I was generally at the forefront of new technology,
You'd be surprised at the age range around here. Being born in the 80's hardly makes you among the oldest people on the site...

Personally, I don't miss tape drives. They were awful. I don't mean audio tapes, though you used those, I mean the tape drives for home computers.

They were slow, finicky, and you could wait half an hour just to find your program hadn't even loaded!

VHS machines were a nightmare to program, though they were OK towards thecend of their life (I still own one made in about 1998, and it's much easier to use than older ones were)

I do miss the ability to rewind tapes a tiny bit though. Going back like 5-10 seconds has become strangly difficult with DVD, but especially video files and online streaming video...
You gain a lot, yet a handful of things get harder.

I absolutely don't miss old printers. Same tech as new ones, much less reliable.

Command line interfaces, such as dos. Don't miss those, though they are not exactly gone completely, I don't miss needing to use them for very basic tasks constantly. (though I guess that does explain why I dislike using linux)

I don't miss records. I know some people get all nostalgic about the 'sound' of them, but they are bulky, fragile, and a complete pain to play. (especially if you feel like playing a specific song)

Library card catalogs. I haven't used them that much, they were a tiny bit before my time, but they were so irritating when I did...

CRT displays... I'm not sure of. They are bulky, and absurdly heavy, but they still seem to have some image quality features that are better than flatscreens, so...

Anyway, I could keep digging for more stuff, but I'm bored now. XD