Older games that aged well. (strictly talking about graphics)

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
World of Warcraft is still going strong. Doesn't look amazing, but still good enough.
Not sure how new counts as old, but Time Splitters: Future Perfect still looks relatively decent. And the graphics of GBA pokemon games are still ok.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
The Donkey Kong Country Games still look amazing. I also think most sprite based RTS's from the mid to late 90's like Starcraft, Warcraft II and Age of Empires still look ok. Same with the early 3D ones come to think of it (like Total Annihilation, Empire Earth and especially Warcraft III).

I really think it's only the 90's/early 2000's 3D FPS's and RPG's that look bad. Even then I think the Zelda games on the '64 for example, still look decent.

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
For me:

Golden Sun
Final Fantasy 3-5
Baldur's Gate series
Icewind Dale series
Most strategy games, like Age of Empires
Super Mario
Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2 in the US I think)

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
graphics, only 2d can really be considered to still be strong years later.
including aesthetics changes it up though, the biggest contrast ive heard of is ookami, the graphics are horrible but the aesthetics are excellent.

i guess some of the sega megadrive games are still good (sonic 2) and the 64 games arent too bad.

SmashingTime

Oct 30, 2011
Quake III Arena's graphics are pretty ageless compared to similar-era FPS games. It's a pity nobody plays it anymore.

Jun 11, 2008
Basically any Sprite based game for the SNES or GBA have aged well kind of hard to find a bad example of that there. Personally I think all the Final Fantasies have managed to age well. The only sort of bumps are FFVII and FFVIII and given at the time how big the games were and how used the studio was to making 3d it still looks pretty good. I find the FFVII polygon characters aged a lot better then FFVIII as it gave it a kinda lego feel.

Donkey Kong and the Half Life games(more so 2 and the eps) as well as most of Valve's games tend to age quite well too.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Beyond Good and Evil still has a very pleasing color scheme and aesthetics.

Kizo18

May 2, 2011
I'll make a pretty big generalization here and say that almost all 2D games hold up extremely well.
On the other hand most of early 3D games (early-mid PS1/N64 era) look really bad today.
Games after that rise sharply in graphical quality. And the cartoony cel-shaded ones tend to look almost timeless.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Jade Empire is still very beautiful and I played it just 3 months ago.
And 2D games, like Age of empire II, I think it still holds up. 2D fighting games...
Silent Hill from 2 onward.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
How far back are we talking? Could I talk about something from like a year or two ago, from several years to a decade ago?

In any case I was thinking about Crysis when you said that. I got the console version of Crysis but I swear even 4 years later it looks like something you would see come out today. Crysis is a very pretty game.

Bamkills

Nov 6, 2011
Man, I had to make an account just to respond to this thread, but I send 1 huge vote to Metal Slug 3 on Neo-Geo. Some of the best 2d graphics I have ever seen in my life to date, and its from 2000. That game should be recognized as art.

Also I also go for Windwaker and Jet Set Radio Future also, they just can't be dated, they work perfectly for what they are.

And another for the Megaman x series. Just really seems to never age.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Command & Conquer and Red Alert (The first ones)
Those pixels cannot age and always look stunning!

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
I think Jazz Jackrabbit 2 can still be appreciated greatly for its graphics.

And the soundtrack, of course.